rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I just bought a used Pacemaker III. I don't know if I got a broken unit, one that is so old that the software is funny or if Pacemakers have a serious flaw.

It doesn't act like it is broken. It acts like a software bug.

I used the route sheet from an actual enduro and tried to go through the steps of programming the Pacemaker. It took me a while to get things figured out and it is definately not something I would want to do in a hurry and under pressure. But I think I got everything entered okay.

then I used the milage adjust to quickly run through the sequence. Things definately were not right!

The Enduro that I used as a test case has four loops. At the start of each loop they have a "RESET to Zero" and a "WAIT" and a speed change. The first, third and fourth loops also have the normal resets within the loop.

I found in the manual that the Pacemakers can't handle three things at one milage so I offset the reset by .05 miles, per the instructions. (Actually the instructions said 0.01 miles but I wanted to be able to see the sequence while stepping through). The sequence then is a speed change and a Wait at the actual loop end, then a "JUMP to 0.05" and a speed change (to the same speed, as the manual said a Reset MUST be followed by a speed setting) to

If I programmed two loops in things worked fine. When I stepped over the normal reset the milage changed and the diffrence time adjusted accordingly. When I reached the end of the loop the difference time reflected the proper wait period. 0.05 miles later the odometer jumped to 0.05 and the clock was perfect. The rest of the loop (abuot 8 speed changes) worked just as expected.

When I added the WAIT, and the JUMP for the start of the third loop everything got messed up. Not at the start of the third loop, back at the start of the second.

With the second JUMP programmed into the memory the difference clock gets all messed up when I step across the first JUMP. It handled the first reset okay, and the WAIT, but going across the jump suddenly adds some random amount of time to the difference clock.

I tried adjusting the clock to bring it to the proper time for being at the end of the first loop but that didn't help, it just made the difference readout smaller (but still very wrong).

I have triple checked that I had the Jumps entered in both the SPEED and RESET section. I have tried clearing the entire memory and starting fresh.

This is definately a Pacemaker III (not a 2), but I am guessing it is an older unit. The boot screen says "Pacemaker III" instead of "Pacemaker 3", "By A-Loop Offroad" instead of "by FHR".

I have tried contacting via email but I have not been able to get a response.

Does anyone have experience with this and know of a work around?

Anyone want a Pacemaker III that doesn't handle Jumps to zero?

Thanks
Rod

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I have the same model (III by A-Loop) and it handles multiple resets to zero just fine as long as I program it in exactly as the manual (downloaded from the pingear site, FHR) specifies. Problem is I rarely have to program in resets to zero for NETRA Enduros, so when I do an ECEA Enduro, I brainphart and forget to do it exactly like the manual says.

Doesn't matter AMA rules are so stinkin' easy all I do is use it as an odometer (dual-sport mode) and use my watch and that 40-foot long jart chart I paid $5 for. In fact scrolling the jart chart takes longer than programming in the resets.

BTW - If you're new to enduros I highly suggest chucking the computer (or using it as an odo if your bike doesn't have one) and learn to do timekeeping the "old-fashioned" way. The computer has made me lazy more than once and cost me some hardware.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Odd, I responded to this a couple of days ago but it isn't here now....

I am familiar with the "three events at the same mileage" restriction (nicer word than "bug"). I was careful to offset the jumps by 0.01 miles with a speed entry between the events.

I have played around with it a bunch more and believe that I have come up with a work around to the problem. It appears that the problem only occurs when there are three or more loops (requiring two or more JUMP to zero) AND the later jumps occur at an earlier mileage then the earlier jumps.

So say you had three loops that were approximately 25 miles each, except on the second and third loops they make a slight alteration to the course to send you a slightly different way, making the course just a bit shorter. So the frist loop ends at 25 miles, the second at 24 (the final loop doesn't matter).

This will require two JUMPs, one at 25 miles and the other at 24 miles. Since there are WAITs with these the JUMPs get offset to 25.01 miles to 0.01 and 24.01 miles to 0.01.

The problem that I have is that at the end of the first loop, when the JUMP is encountered, the DIFFERENCE time starts being calculated as if I had jumped to the end of the second loop instead of the end of the first loop. The odometer is correct, the clock is correct, but the difference time is suddenly saying that I am like 90 minutes early.

To work around this problem I fudge the numbers so that the second JUMP occurs at a later relative mileage than the earlier one. So, I program the first JUMP to be at 25.01 to 0.01, and the second JUMP from 25.02 to 0.02 I compensate for the extra mile by reducing the WAIT time.

It also apears that the problem only effects the calculation of the difference time. The odometer remains accurate and any RESETs for the second loop get applied at the correct spot, so the odometer is working on the second loop data even though the difference time is working on the third loop info.

My work around seems to be a way out, but if I forget I won't discover it until I start the second loop and then it is too late. I have the roll chart strapped to the handlebars next to the Pacemaker and I have been trying to use both(not very sucessfully, however) so if/when that happens I can simply revert back to manual methods.

Rod

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Try this simple program. Make sure to clear the memory first.

Speeds:
1. 24 TO 3.20
2. WAIT = 003
3. JUMP TO 0.00
4. 24 TO 4.00
5. WAIT = 003
6. JUMP TO 0.00
7. 24 TO FINISH

Resets:
1. 3.21 TO 0.01
2. 4.01 TO 0.01

Turn the unit on and bump mileage up to 3.19 and wait the ~8 minutes until the clock catches up then bump the mileage up to 3.20. The unit should flash between the display and a countdown of the wait time from 3 minutes. When the wait is over, bump mileage to 3.21 and it will go to 0.01 and the display will resume normal operation.

Bump mileage up to 3.99 and wait the ~10 minutes until the clock catches up then bump the mileage up to 4.00. The unit should flash between the display and a countdown of the wait time from 3 minutes. When the wait is over, bump mileage to 4.01 and it will go to 0.01 and the display will resume normal operation.

Takes about 30 minutes, but I tried it with my unit and it works fine.

My problems have been forgetting to program in the jump to zero as a speed change after the wait time, forgetting to offset the reset mileage by 0.01 on BOTH reset entries and forgetting to enter a speed change after the last jump to zero.

A few guys I ride enduros with use Watchdog computers which, I guess, are easier to program. One of my buddies, who rides 50+, uses a watch and odometer and does just fine.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
WoodsRider said:
Try this simple program. Make sure to clear the memory first.

Speeds:
1. 24 TO 3.20
2. WAIT = 003
3. JUMP TO 0.00
4. 24 TO 4.00
5. WAIT = 003
6. JUMP TO 0.00
7. 24 TO FINISH

Resets:
1. 3.21 TO 0.01
2. 4.01 TO 0.01

If that was intended to be the exact programming of the Pacemaker then I am really confused. Doesn't the JUMP that is programmed into the "SPEED" section need to match the RESET value, ie, JUMP to 0.01 instead of 0?

Also, the instructions specifically state that immediatly after a WAIT a new speed is required. This example also has the three events at the same mileage problem.

The way I would have programmed the Pacemaker for this example is as follows:

Speeds:
1. 24 TO 3.20
2. WAIT = 003
3. 24 to 3.21
4. JUMP TO 0.01
5. 24 TO 4.00
6. WAIT = 003
7. 24 to 4.01
8. JUMP TO 0.01
9. 24 TO FINISH

Resets:
1. 3.21 TO 0.01
2. 4.01 TO 0.01

Based on the experiments that I have run I am sure that this example will work correctly. Swap the JUMPs, however, and things will be different. Will you try this?

Speeds:
1. 24 TO 4.00
2. WAIT = 003
3. 24 to 4.01
4. JUMP TO 0.01
5. 24 TO 3.20
6. WAIT = 003
7. 24 to 3.21
8. JUMP TO 0.01
9. 24 TO FINISH

Resets:
1. 4.01 TO 0.01
2. 3.21 TO 0.01

Now, as you said, bump your mileage up to 4.00, wait for the clock (or clock adjust) so that you are on your minute. Now bump to 4.01, bump once more and it resets to 0.01

If it works properly, the difference time should still indicate that you are on your minute. On my Pacemaker, as soon as the reset to zero is applied the difference time will suddenly show that I am 8 minutes early, as if I had suddenly completed the second loop.

I believe that the example you gave works because the second loop has the Jump at a larger mileage than the first loop.

To make my Pacemaker work I would program it like this:

Speeds:
1. 24 TO 4.00
2. WAIT = 003
3. 24 to 4.01
4. JUMP TO 0.01
5. 24 TO 4.02 (milage extended 0.8 miles, or two minutes)
6. WAIT = 001 (wait reduced equal to the extended mileage)
7. 24 to 4.02
8. JUMP TO 0.02
9. 24 TO FINISH

Resets:
1. 4.01 TO 0.01 (corresponds to the first jump)
2. 3.20 to 4.00 (gives me back the "wait" time)
3. 4.02 TO 0.02 (now this jump is at a greater mileage)

I haven't actually programmed these values into the Pacemaker and tried them. I will try to dig it out tonight and verify what I said.

Rod

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Is your problem multiple loops with the same mileage?
Try this:

Speeds:
1. 24 TO 3.20
2. WAIT = 002
3. JUMP TO 0.00
4. 24 TO 3.22
5. WAIT = 002
6. JUMP TO 0.00
7. 24 TO FINISH

Resets:
1. 3.21 TO 0.01
2. 3.23 TO 0.03

Just make sure to bump your mileage ahead of the reset mileage. Then it won't show you being 8 minutes early.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Okay, I just tried those values, just as provided. They work fine.

If I reverse the Jumps, however, it fails

I.E.
Speeds:
1. 24 TO 3.22
2. WAIT = 002
3. JUMP TO 0.00
4. 24 TO 3.20
5. WAIT = 002
6. JUMP TO 0.00
7. 24 TO FINISH

Resets:
1. 3.23 TO 0.03
2. 3.21 TO 0.01

With this programming, I will come up on the first WAIT and everything is fine. The odometer is reading 3.23, the clock is a little over 8 minutes, difference time is running -30-

Advance the mileage one click:

Display reads "WaitTime = 1:30", which is correct because I was 30 seconds late into the wait.

Now, wait 1:30. When the wait time reduces to zero, the display changes to

3.23 +18:00+ 10:19

I am a little confused about the 18:00 minutes early number..
Once click more on the odometer and the Jump to 0 (0.03) is applied:

0.03 +9:18+ 10:50

The difference time indicated now would be how much early I would be if I somehow magically transported myself to the end of the second loop. The odometer is correct, the clock is correct, but the difference time is whacked.

What I would still like to know is if this problem is unique to my Pacemaker or if they all do this.

Rod

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Reverse your resets.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom