Spider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2000
PICKERINGTON, Ohio (January 25, 2007) – AMA Racing has announced that riders Joshua Hill, Jason Thomas and Nick Wey have been penalized for using illegal fuel at round three of the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif., on Jan. 20.

Fuel samples from nine motorcycles were collected at the Anaheim 2 round and the samples from the motorcycles of Hill, Thomas and Wey were found to be in non-compliance. Fuel from the motorcycles of Steve Boniface, Michael Byrne, Kyle Partridge, Chad Reed, James Stewart and Jake Weimer was found to be in compliance.

As is required by the AMA Supercross/Motocross rulebook, the samples were sent to a certified testing lab which confirmed the results of the testing.

Hill, Thomas and Wey have been disqualified from the event and have forfeited their event points and purse.

Sucks for wey and hill because i believe that they both had there first podiums last weekend

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
elliot67 said:
They penalized RC 25 points.
.. and then gave it back.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Really? Wow. I wasn't aware of that. I just did a search for illegal fuel and that article came up. Read the first 3 sentences and said that he was penalized 25 points.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I don't think Team MDK/Xyence has near the resources that Makita/Suzuki had to fight this penalty. Sucks for Wey :(

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Wey was running way to good, I was afraid that would not go over to good.
I wish he had held onto 2nd place but he would've got banned 6weeks for that.(I Bet)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
mideastrider said:
Wey was running way to good, I was afraid that would not go over to good.
I wish he had held onto 2nd place but he would've got banned 6weeks for that.(I Bet)
So your belief is that Wey was singled out just because he rode so good? As far as I know the samples are random at each round.
I just wish if the AMA is going to keep testing fuel and putting out penalties that they would just provide the fuel and have a standard. If the fuel they handed out isn't in the bike or has been doctored then you know there was an intentional cheating attempt.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
It seems like most times they test the entire podium from the big bore class and then additional randomly selected riders. I was under the impression that they always tested the podium finishers in each class and then a random selection of riders but after reading that news release the rest of the lites class podium riders were not tested (Villopoto and Lawrence).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
elliot67 said:
Really? Wow. I wasn't aware of that. I just did a search for illegal fuel and that article came up. Read the first 3 sentences and said that he was penalized 25 points.
Did you know that Reed and Stewart were also penalized for the same thing, but were NOT given their points back after protest?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I dont really care about the points, I just saw Wey put in a good ride :)
AMA should start providing fuel. Take out all the guess work. :|

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I think they should pay Rich to fuel the bikes with his personal special blend. If they doctor or change it, he gets to pull a middle line backer hit on them right before the main of the next race, right in front of the crowd. ;)

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I like the gas penalties. I think they should have a "BIG WHEEL OF PENALTIES" that they spin at the beginning of the following SX, to make it truly random.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
rickyd said:
AMA should start providing fuel. Take out all the guess work. :|
Just like NASCAR

Trouble is, there's sponsor money from different fuel companies so I'd imagine some might have a headache over that.

Trying to remember back in the day in NASCAR . . . the sanctioning body used to supply Union76/Unocal, but there were cars sponsored by Phillips 66 and Citgo . . .
kelseybrent said:
I like the gas penalties. I think they should have a "BIG WHEEL OF PENALTIES" that they spin at the beginning of the following SX, to make it truly random.
break a deal, face the wheel!
1033069~Mad-Max-Beyond-Thunderdome-Soundtrack-Posters.jpg

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
They don't need to supply any fuel, they just need to make the tests realistic. I don't remember the PPM off the top of my head, but when storing you gas in a steel can with a soldered seam puts you over the top... well someone has no idea what they are doing! :ohmy:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
BBMX's response <a href="http://racerxill.com/breakingnews/article/2237/bbmx-response-on-fuel-penalty.aspx"> here.</a>

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Fuel regulations are unnecessary in the 450 (open) class IMHO. Let them run whatever concoction they wish. Problem solved. Does any really care besides the AMA? Could you imagine complaining you should have placed better if only you had better fuel!!! Give me a break. At their level, its all rider and setup, fuel has nothing to do with it. Those bikes have more hp and response than even they need. Just my $.02

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Let them use rocket fuel. The fuel doesn't decide the winner. AMA was lucky to get my $40 for 2007. I don't think I will be supporting them or their decisions any longer. Their magazine pretty much sucks any more.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've been out of town and haven't followed up on this yet but for them to take points is a farce of cosmic proportions. How they can justify this after the RC debacle last season is beyond comprehension.

And on another note how the heck does VP keep coming out of these situations without a huge pair of goat (no pun intended) horns. They keep referring this back to the teams as poor handling of fuels, I call BS and that VP's control of the spec of the fuel is lacking.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Chili said:
I've been out of town and haven't followed up on this yet but for them to take points is a farce of cosmic proportions. How they can justify this after the RC debacle last season is beyond comprehension.QUOTE]

Im with you, after that whole mess you would think they would come up with a solid system before issuing out more points penalties.

I guess its a good thing Im not racing the San Francisco round this weekend because if they tested me my 76 pump gas would fail and I would be DQ'd too. ;)

faultylogic

Jan 26, 2007
If I remember correctly RC got his points back because the rule was written for the 2-stroke bikes and really didnt make any extra power for a four-stroke motor. The team was still fined because they broke the written rules, stupid or not.

What they are testing for this season does provide extra power and in the article on supercross com it was pointed out that the AMA did raise the limits in benefit of the riders and that 8 other riders tested came back with good fuel numbers.

This could be bad.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
faultylogic said:
If I remember correctly RC got his points back because the rule was written for the 2-stroke bikes and really didnt make any extra power for a four-stroke motor. The team was still fined because they broke the written rules, stupid or not.
[/QUOTE

:yell:
Good thing the AMA has the rights all sewed up legally, or else everyone there would be out of a job when everyone discontinued their membership.

Top Bottom