Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
faultylogic said:
If I remember correctly RC got his points back because the rule was written for the 2-stroke bikes and really didnt make any extra power for a four-stroke motor. The team was still fined because they broke the written rules, stupid or not.

What they are testing for this season does provide extra power and in the article on supercross com it was pointed out that the AMA did raise the limits in benefit of the riders and that 8 other riders tested came back with good fuel numbers.

This could be bad.

RC was penalized for lead as were Reed and Stewart in previous seasons. From what I've seen so far online since I got back into town, Wey and Hill failed for too much Oxygen content and JTmoney failed for the specific gravity of the fuel. I know nothing about oxygenated fuel so I can't comment on if this improves performance of the bike but I still think this will go back to being a Quality Control issue for VP fuels. BBMX has issued a realese essentially stating they use U4 straight out of the can VP ships it in and that they start the race day with a fresh sealed can. Looks like at least one team is willing to put VP on the spot.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
It has been a while since I read the article but I remember an interview with someone from VP and he went on about how unrealistic the new standards are. My understanding is that they are testing for the same standards in Europe and they are not having problems over there. The idea I got is that VP wants the rules changed so that they don't have to.

On the other hand I get the idea that the limits are set so low that being slightly over on oxygen content, specific gravity, etc. that it makes no difference in the way a bike run so essentially until the AMA and the fuel suppliers get on the same page riders and teams are going to have to continue to deal with this.

When this first happened to Reed everyone seemed to jump to the conclusion that they were cheating. I think that by now most people are coming to the conclusion that it isn't the teams or the rider's trying to cheat/gain advantage over the competition.

I hope they figure something out because it isn't fair to the riders.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
A few things I have discovered reading about this incident.

It seems for this year,, AMA relaxed the rules to 4% oxygen, .013 parts per billion lead (same as pump fuel),, but these three riders all passed on oxygen and lead content but failed on the specific gravity measurment.

VP fuels supplies to about 70% of the riders, and for this year produce a new mix to fit the relaxed rules.

Jason Thomas used this new mix from the same can both in Phoenix and A2, was tested both times and passed in Phoenix but failed in A2.

There is some speculation that the new VP mix is less stable and over time can change in specific gravity..

Team Suzuki refuses to use the new mix.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Typical AMA stuff. Act swiftly, think about ramifications later.

I wish luck to those involved. Maybe they will get to buy their way out of it like Makita too!

I just want to know, how bad to things get before racers/teams protest?

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
MDK Calling out AMA (cyclenews.com)

The following letter is from Mark D. Kvamme, the owner of MDK Motorsports...

MDK Motorsports in general and Nick Wey in particular has been wrongfully accused and irreparably harmed by an inaccurate and ill-advised ruling on non-compliant fuel by the American Motorcyclist Association. MDK Motorsports states emphatically and categorically that its procurement, storage, and use of VP Racing Fuel MR9.1 was consistent with all AMA compliance protocols and procedures.

For the record, we state that the fuel used for the first three rounds and potentially for the balance of the season has been an unaltered supply of VP Racing Fuels MR9.1. This fuel has been selected for its performance capabilities and compliance with AMA fuel requirements. Similarly, MDK Motorsports stipulates that no intended or incidental modifications were ever made to the fuel purchased, by the race team in general or Nick Wey in particular. We would ask that the AMA explain how both factory and privateer teams can participate effectively in AMA sanctioned events, when they cannot be certain that their fuel will be compliant with AMA requirements upon the conclusion of a race event. The current situation is untenable and cannot continue. MDK Motorsports demands that the AMA provide a workable alternative to current fuel sampling and testing protocols.

The AMA has demonstrated gross negligence in their handling of this situation, in that they failed to inform the team that we were out of compliance for both the Phoenix and Anaheim 2 Supercross rounds in a timely fashion. And for the record, MDK Motorsports was not informed of fuel non-compliance for the Phoenix round until after 9AM on Saturday, 1/27/07, at San Francisco Supercross. The AMA Pro Racing Rule Book outlines the Fuel Specifications and Fuel Test Procedure, but is clearly missing any statement about how the tests are actually performed. It appears that the AMA’s testing procedures are not sufficient to achieve any consistent test measurement and are wrongfully applied to the detriment of riders, teams, and the industry at large.

MDK Motorsports formally requests that we be provided the sample “c” removed from Nick Wey’s race bike at both Phoenix and Anaheim 2 for our own analysis and testing. Furthermore, we request that Nick Wey’s points and purse be restored, since clearly the AMA’s application of fuel testing is woefully inadequate and detrimental to everyone involved. We demand a written protocol of the AMA fuel testing procedures, not simply documentation of the test fuel collection procedure.

MDK Motorsports respectfully requests a formal meeting with the appropriate AMA officials to establish a system that will allow a privateer team to insure it has compliant fuel for racing in the AMA.

Nick Wey and the entire MDK Motorsports team is dedicated to a level of professionalism that reflects good sportsmanship and demonstrates the integrity of our brand and our sponsors’ brands. The capricious nature of the AMA’s accusations will not go unchallenged. MDK Motorsports intends to exercise all possible legal and civil means to restore our good name and recover both current and potential future financial damages.

Sincerely,

Mark D. Kvamme

Owner

MDK Motorsports, LLC

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Here's my answer to this. Have one fuel source brought in by the AMA,everyone uses this fuel no exceptions,fuel is tested and verified before it is distributed, AMA officials distribute a predetermined amount of fuel to each rider just before each race fuel is then sampled from a random selection of bikes after wards to make sure nothing was added to it. An appeals process that would involve independent test labs.

Steve

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I would think mechanics would not enjoy being delivered a fuel before a race that may require them to tweak the jetting. I understand that they contstantly adjust the jetting, but this would be just one more variable to introduce into things.

I think one AMA approved fuel....+ better quality control is the answer. But it's BS to put it all on the teams/riders.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
As long as its no more dangerous then standard fuel, I say let them run what they brung. As long as its gasoline, or diesel if they want to try it :laugh: Yes the factories are going to have a big advantage... seems kinda like the way it is now. This type of rule is pointless and is a good example of our AMA.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I believe it was the FIM that forced the unleaded fuel requirements on the AMA.

Unless the AMA wants to divorce itself from the FIM, they will follow FIM regulations.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
kmccune said:
As long as its no more dangerous then standard fuel, I say let them run what they brung. As long as its gasoline, or diesel if they want to try it :laugh: Yes the factories are going to have a big advantage... seems kinda like the way it is now. This type of rule is pointless and is a good example of our AMA.

I agree... The 450's are capable of producing more HP than ANYONE can use, so why quabble over some assinine aspect of the fuel... Especially something that can easily occur naturally w/out anyone trying to add something to the fuel to cheat....

Wey (and the others) deserves his points and prize money back... If they want, fine the team as they did Makita Suzuki last year, but VP should be the one picking up the tab...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wey deserves his points and prize money back... If they want, fine the team as they did Makita Suzuki last year, but VP should be the one picking up the tab...
NYK isn't the GOAT.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Seems hilarious they test for such small levels of 02 and lead which in reality wont make these fire breathing 4 strokes any faster in the real world, but they dont test the riders for performance enhancing drugs, as mx/sx is about 80% the rider it seems they have the thing back to front, and why do the AMA enforce a FIM rule with fuels when they dont with PEDs??? IN GPs PEDS are tested for.

Sorry but its all a farce as i can see it.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
dirt bike dave said:
Unless the AMA wants to divorce itself from the FIM, they will follow FIM regulations.
I don't understand why they ever married them bastages in the first place. The FIM should have adopted AMA rules. Wasn't like the AMA series needed the FIM series. :coocoo:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
dirt bike dave said:
I believe it was the FIM that forced the unleaded fuel requirements on the AMA.

Sounds good to me :nod:

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Reesknight said:
I don't understand why they ever married them bastages in the first place. The FIM should have adopted AMA rules. Wasn't like the AMA series needed the FIM series. :coocoo:

I agree... This whole having 2 championships in a single class for 1 series is stupid anyway... Just makes it confusing and makes each individual championship less prostigious if a different individual wins each one (ala 2006 JBS & RC)...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
AMA Statement on Supercross Fuel Ruling

February 23, 2007

AMA Racing News Release

After additional investigation and consideration, AMA Racing officials have concluded that the fuels in question from the January 20, 2007 Anaheim, Calif., round of the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series were correctly found to be in non-compliance with the 2007 AMA Supercross/Motocross rulebook. Testing has shown that the illegal substance Methyl Butynol is being added to the majority of fuels being used in Supercross.

Because of the apparent widespread use of fuels using this substance in the Supercross paddock, and the fact that AMA Racing and its competitors could not have foreseen these circumstances, the following rule will be waived until April 15, 2007 regarding these fuels in their current configuration and any other fuels using the same illegal substance, so long as they meet all other fuel specifications:

o Chapter 4 – Offenses, Penalties, Protests and Appeals; A. General Information; Section 1.
”each participant agrees to abide by AMA Pro Racing’s rules and procedures. In addition, AMA Pro Racing-licensed riders are held responsible for the actions of their crew members.”

Points, purse and trophies of penalized riders, Nicholas Wey and Joshua Hill will be reinstated.

AMA Racing will continue to test race fuel for compliance of fuel rules as stated on Page 10 section L in the AMA Supercross/Motocross rulebook. Took long enough!@#@#$$ jerks!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Finally someone used some common sense. Congrats to the penalized riders on prevailing and getting thier results returned. Now if only the AMA would actually make a stand and either allow whatever fuel the teams bring in or provide the same fuel to every rider enterred :cool:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
i witnessed that before...except during a dodgeball game. a bunch of 18/19 year olds jumped in on our game and a buddy of mine tried catching one of their throws, and it pushed his thumb back and was pointing the opposite direction. not a pretty site. but he still played hockey the next day, and he was a goalie...and it was his catching hand. :whoa:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom