a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm gonna start this so I can get the first words in!

Great ride, met Sunday morning like most of us were supposed to, (Bundy)! We were pretty much all on time except a few straglers that had to go back and get an adventure pass. Lots of new riders that I haven't met before. Great to put a face with the screen name.
We hit the trail about 9, give or take after following Ktmboys drive through the sticks! We passed a beautiful showroom quality volkswagon, which Thumbs seemd to get to first and strip most of the parts off it. By the time the last guy passed it, it was a hunk of poop! Thumbs said it was abandoned and that it was fair game but we told him he had to ask permission to take the emblems!:p

We parked under the massive power lines that made our teeth chatter. I'm still glowing today! Bundy led the pack of 19 guys most of the way. Lots of brush attacks and new trail making by the Bundy master too!

We made our way to the sand hill first so Long Time could film our convergence down the mighty hill. Once again, I think Bundy's brakes went out cause he never used them. Must be a KTM thing:p
We got some great shots up and down the hill by LT the film producer. Sorry LT about almost running you over when you were filming, hazards of the job I guess!

Can't remember all the names that went but I know that Kiwi gets the hill climb ribbon cause he wheelied up most of it, on purpose we hope! Lets see, Scar got attacked by a shrub, Place last made us all "regular" with his fig/nut combo, and I'll let everyone else add to this cause I know there's alot more!

Great meetin everyone out there, looking forward to a TRACK RIDE real soon. I was gettin nervouse cause I couldn't see my truck out there!
Oh yeah, when Bundy posts about his bike falling, don't believe him. We all saw him crash, right guys?!:p
Next up?........

Elk

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
As this was only my second ride back after being off for 3 months I have to say I couldn't have picked a better place, ride or company.

Nice to put names with faces as Elk says. We did 60 miles in two loops - unfortunately my legs only lasted 52 miles LOL! Great ride up to the lake on Cleghammer, thanks Ktmboy for the guide.

Last edited:

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Yep.. Gotta agree.. Great weather... Great Group.... Great Ride..

Although it started out a little sketchy with my ride not showing up on time. When you are working out details with bclapham make sure that he writes down the time he is supposed to pick you up... However he did beat Bundy and I to the meeting spot...

Elk... You forgot to mention the drag racing up the Sand Hill and how I DESTROYED Darth Bundy... Hey I can brag as this will probably be the only time that I will ever beat Bundy anywhere..

Can't wait for the next DRN adventure. Maybe Kennedy Meadows over the 4th of July weekend.

Check out the thread I started.. Kennedy Meadows July 4th - 7th

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I had a blast, finally got to met most of the crew, and what a great group., The most fun for me on loop one was the singletrack on the way back from the sandhill, I thought it couldn't get any better, but then KTMboy tooks us to Cleghorn and my god what a blast, the view was awsome and all I could think was (way down there in the valley somewhere was a bunch of guys doing a desert race and missing one of the best rides they'll ever do)

KTMboy and Bundy, Thanks for a great ride/time

To everyone else, it was great to met all of you :aj:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Always a good time getting together with youall!!

And it was fun to see all the new sleds (2 pumpkins and 3 250f's). Apparently we are all overpaid but I'm not going to say anything.

Bundy, Yeah that's all he needs is a faster bike!!! :moon:

Eel and Thumbs will be busy rebuiling the 125's after screaming them up the sand hill. Hey at least Thumbsy finally represented honda at the top. It was awful Blue Orange and Yellow up there for so long... :p

LT glad you made it out of retirement. Hope to see that vedeo sometime.

Elk in true Susuki fashion he loaded up early and went home. Did you find the Feminine Napkins you needed at the store[/B:uh: Look forward to seeing you again next time the wife lets you check the nads out for more than 3 hours. :p

Kiwi, you da man. Mr. hill climber. Up the sand hill one handed, rock on. :aj:

As for me, I did my best to puke and rally but the flu got the best of me all day. Still a good time just with I had felt better. I'm always happy to provide some trailside entertainment. Guess I'll learned why I was the only one not wearing a chest protector.

KTMboy, Next sand Drag I'll have to start in a different line.

Everyone else it was good to see you again.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Sunday was the first time I've been to Phelan. Nice terrain, best portion had to be the creosote **** maze. Great meeting everyone. Can't wait for the video and photos :aj:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Amen Dude! I might be able to slip away next Wed? Let me know.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
AAAauuuuuhhh Elky back to circles. I thought you were cured! :moon:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I didn't even start my bike the entire weekend. So keep rubbin' it in...... :debil:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It's not exactly circles, there's left AND right turns too!! :moon: :moon:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by a454elk
It's not exactly circles, there's left AND right turns too!! :moon: :moon:

No way!!! really??

I'm glad to see you could ride without flagmen and markers showing you where to go:p

Though you looked a little nevous when you could no longer see your car!!!! :moon:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No flagmen, no problem. That's why I stayed about 2-3 back!:)

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Sounds like everyone had a great time. I was kicking myself all day Sunday for not going. Especially since its only like 45 minutes from my house! I guess there's always next time.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Great ride. I think 18 people showed up. To many for me to remember.

Most of us did the 2 loops. First was to the sand hill via the ridge trails. Then fun at the hill. The way back was interrupted when we realized we were 2 riders short. Wr Jeff and I backtracked while the rest went on ahead. After I wrecked I decided we went far enuf. I thought I knew the way back. We went thru brush and everywhich way, but finally ended up at the trucks.

For the next ride we dividedup into 2 groups. The lightwieghts went with Bundy on the local trails. The rest of us went to do Cleghammer.

This jeep trail up and over to the lake was fun. At least when we were going over stuff I could ride. Some of those steep uphills were tuff. Kiwi`s advice on on was to keep the front end lite. No problem there. My prolem was trying to keep the front end on the ground. Those rocks are hard when the bike wants to fall on top. We finally get back and the rest of the wrecking crew had left.

Great ride , can`t wait till next time.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
The ridge trails and cleghammer were equal parts fun, fast (for me) and challenging. That was the most I've ridden in one day.

Had a blast with the crew and looking forward to doing it all again.

Oh, and yeah, this is a new user name, I won't have to use my drz handle while unloading my blue bike.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Well guys, just got home from work were I spent whole day wish'n I was still on Cleghammer :whiner:

Damn that was fun

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I had a great time on sunday.

appologies to desert_racer for turning up late.......i thought i was supposed to pick him up around 6.30am, when i arrived (politely early at 6.25am) i found he had already gone! i still think that he just couldnt wait to get out on that shiny new bike. i guess with all of the times, places etc. being thrown around it was easy for a dumb ass like me to get the times wrong, although i would like to blame it on exposure to too many solvents at work :confused:

The first trail was cool, but it was me who started the landslide (or rather yamaha slide) coming down the big hill.......but when everyone went down it again i am glad i followed and got down in one piece the second time (athough very slowly!), kinda excorsized the demons! next time i am gonna ride up it :eek:

i missed out on a second longer run, i was still putting gas in the bike when i looked around to find everyone had gone....i tried to catch up, but decided to trail back to camp where i found thumbs... he had broke a lever! after fixing his bike we then went on our own mini trail ride, but didnt go to far to risk getting lost.

After packing up and heading home i was feeling guilty for not riding longer, but after an hour of driving i was beggining to fall asleep at the wheel (i didnt get much sleep the night before) so i realized why i talked myself out of a third trail run and didnt feel so bad!

it was really cool to meet everyone and put faces to names. i also want to thank the more experienced members who lead the trails (and those who waitied for me to catch up), i come from a country that would only take a few tanks of gas to get from one side to the other so that big desert is very intimidating, especially to the directionally challenged like myself!

i am looking forward to getting some more riding at the track soon, so i look forward to seeing some of you there, i also wait in anticipation of the next trail ride.

being part of a community rocks!!!

thanks

bruce

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
It sure does ! It's always fun with these guys but this one was a cut above for some reason. 20 riders, I think, in all.

The Cleghammer run was so cool. Kiwi kept making us stop so we could go up the gnarliest rock hills several times over after we had just gone down them. He'd just get this sorta glazed look in his eyes and that's when you knew the wheels were turning. This happened several times and while at first it seemed crazy ... after awhile it only seemed ... even crazier ! It was so much chaotic fun though. I'm so stoked on how much faster WR Jeff seems on his WR ... he can ride that thing ! Unfortunately we couldn't get down to the lake but noone seemed to really mind ... well almost noone. :| Everyone gave it their all on the Cleghammer ! Especially KTMBoy attacking that ledge obstacle over and over until he was exhausted. I only wish all of you guys had joined us ...

The other highlight for me was our time spent at the sand hill. Mostly 'cause I got to do a little bike sampling (400 SX, WR 250F, 520 M/XC) and 'cause Longtime was funny as hell with his camcorder. He was like a director working on a big budget film. After we all went down the sandhill for the first time (and some guys obviously did not dig it too much), Longtime tells everyone they have to go all the way up again so he can film us all coming down in a big group. Never mind that there was a pile up the first time down ... the "director" wanted it again ! He was barkin' instructions all day, picking his spots strategically, and working that camcorder. Thanks for that LT ... I can't wait to see the video. Of course Bundy caused jaws to drop once again with his totally insane sand hill divebombs. The guy clearly has a monster set of cojones. And "Roost of the Day" goes to Desert Racer who drag raced Bundy up the hill on his new 520 M/XC. They were neck and neck right until the trail narrowed when Dez pulled ahead just in time and sand blasted Bundy ! (Bundy is still the King)

It was nice to see some new faces - JPIvey, BClapham, MX Dude, kelsorat. And of course there always the inimitable Elkster - who's quick on his RM and even quicker with a joke.

I had a good conversation with PlaceLast on weight vs. power and my only regret is not riding Kiwi's CR 500AF and LongTime's Gas Gas 300.

Random thoughts: Thumbs ripped the sand hill on his 125, Kiwi did a wheelie for a few hundred feet at one of the road crossings, Private Joker has the most stylish riding attire, Scar got scarred, Greg gave me a beer, I got lost on the way home, and I'll never bring a luxury sport utility vehicle to Glamis without a fire extinguisher.

I only have one question in closing ... where were you on Sunday ?

Last edited:

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Well boys another one for the history books.
As usual the looneys where out in force for this one.
I counted 19 riders, but I may have missed someone.
The first ride was a run down to the infamous sand hill.
Almost everyone made it down, but somebody had to crash and earn the pitsally award. :p

bclamham, you earned it man. :confused: But you are a real trooper and didnt flench once, you will only get better.

As for the drag race, I wasnt wearin a dress, just a TuTu! :o
Desert_racer finally found a secret weapon to beat me with.

Elk, how did you like the switch back trail ride? :p
Jpivey and Scar had some battle wounds from that one.

well the boys that stayed behind with me had a blast. we found some tight and tecnical trails to rage on. but the cleghammer sounded good too.

Well, see you guys next time.

bundy

ps. Elk did you get the vinager and water? :p

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
:moon:!!!!

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Bundy, that switch back trail ride was the one I thought was a singletrack, either way it was great, I had blood everywhere, on my arm, bike and even on my helmet ( not sure how it got there ??? ) maybe you should change the name to switch blade trail ride.

BTW, what was that stuff ??? , looked like burnt trees

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It just looked like a blur to me cause I was flying to make sure I didn't get lost! Those were some fun switchbacks. Placelast's youngin smacked me with a tree limb after he went through. The nerve, doesn't he know he was supposed to hold it until I passed?!:p

I think Scar got his scratch from Thumbs when they were stealing emblems off the VW!:)

Top Bottom