Pismo

Hi Aimee! It's Brian from Kennedy Meddows (July 27th-29th). I think you'll be fine with a paddle tire... otherwise, you should cross your fingers. Good Luck,

Hey Brian! Glad you decided to join us on the forums. :) Did you check out the Kennedy Meadows 8/24-26/01 post? We'll be back up there again. Your wife is more than welcome to take my bike out on the trails. :)

A friend of mine has the ttr, I know she would have to get a paddle but I'm just not really sure how her bike would do in the sand there. I suppose if it struggled she could just stay on the hard pack near the water.

Yep! I saw the late August KM posting, and plan on riding with "fists of fury!" I'm still in the market for a good bike for her (instead of her new quad) and appreciate the ride offer. We'll be going out to the cabin in Yucca Valley this weekend, and my wife will have a chance to ride a couple differant bikes out there... It's been real tough finding a KTM200mx for sale. I've check all around, but nothing.

If your friend is a light-wieght, I couldn't imaging having too many problems... just don't plan on any BIG dune climbs! :o)

Originally posted by dakayla
It's been real tough finding a KTM200mx for sale. I've check all around, but nothing.
I was originally in the market for the EXC but they were tough to find. Called at least 6 dealers in CA alone not to mention checked a few out of state, Nothing. I really lucked out finding my bike on traderonline.com
Has she tried at KDX200 before?

Just out of curiosity, is your screen name a combo of you kids' names?

Yes, actually... Dakota and Kayla are "dakayla". That's my license plate, and my (future) company name. DaKayla Motorsports? Sounds great! Anyway, we haven't tried the KDX (yet) but our options are still open. I was so impressed with your KTM200mx intially, I've really opened up to that bike. I'm such a Yamaha fan, and always have been, but my wife is the one that will be riding "her" bike, not me. So whatever makes her feel the most comfortable... I've definately steared away from the TT-R125L though. since hearing from your experience and many others now, the bike will be outgrown (physically) almost immediately. Not worth it. I've seen more and more TT-R125s going up for sale (Cheap!) from "out-grown" sellers.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
Brian,
Glad to see you on here! It was great meeting and riding with you at KM. You really need to think about Chris's advice and stick with us next time (hehehe - no blood from head ons). Give us all a shout when you are planning on going back to KM and we'll try to hook up. Also keep an eye on this forum for future rides elsewhere.
Eddie

Thanks Eddie,

Yeah, Chris was certain right. Next time I'll carry extra gas so that I can go the distance. I'll definately let you know when I'm going up to KM again. I'm already prepairing for the August 24-26 trip. Last night I changed out my front sprocket (13 instead of stock 14), I took a link out of my chain, and moved my rear axle up a 1/4 inch. It will be good R&D for this KM trip, as I should be able to get really technical on those rock climbs and switch backs. I can't wait. I'm also looking into re-jetting for the trip. This weekend I'm desert riding in Yucca Valley, and since I've taken about 15 mph off my top speed due to the sprocket change, things will get interesting. I also put on a brand spankin' new pair of MSR "Dominator" bars (to replace the stock bars I tweaked in KM trying to prove the Mass vs. Inertia! :scream: ) Great, light wieght, strong, and extra thick walled bars at half the cost of the compairable Renthals/FMF bars!

Hey, wasn't this forum suppossed to be about "Pismo"?! Ha ha ha :D

Talk to you guys later!

Back to Pismo

If your going to take a TTR125 out there, better pray for rain. I've not ridden a TTR but, would think the motor would have trouble pulling a paddle or the clutch would have to be abused to get the bike rolling. Maybe not, like I said, I haven't ridden one.

I know I'm from Pa but, I grew up in SLO and have rode at Pismo many times, on many different bikes, in different generations.

Have a tri-tip sandwich for me:)

vetwfo'er

holeshot

Crazy Russian
Pismo power

The dunes at Pismo aren't much different than Glamis as far as needed power is concerned, so a TTR125 will probably have a very tough time hanging with the rest in the dunes.

If the bike is ridden near the beach, where the sand is wet and solid, there should be no problems, even without a paddle. That limits the riding area considerably though, and no dunes.

I wasn't able to find any Pismo clams when I was there. I wonder if they still exist (at any time)? It's probably just a myth to draw tourists.:silly:

dirtjunkie

Subscriber
Pismo!!!!!!!!! Hey looks like there will be a few going great! I'll be going Friday afternood. Be in my Ford F350 white w/ my old Komfort trailer. White with olive green center stripe.
Brian was good to see ya in the funny pages! How the leg... ouch! Not to throw a wrench in your thoughts but KDX's are also very trail worthy too,
200 & 250...
See ya'll there!:cool:

PISMO!

Me and some friends have been talking about heading up there recently and I was curious about details of the place. How big are the dunes? How big is the area? Is it worth the drive up from San Diego on a Friday night to stay and head home on Sunday afternoon? What's the deal with camping? Is it just pull in and camp where you want as long as your above the hightide water line? Are there any comfort amenities? Campfires allowed? Reservations or anything? As you can see I'm looking for the complete guide to Pismo if anyone is inclined to respond. Thanks for any info!!!

NVR FNSH

Subscriber
First, you couldn't pay me enough to ride a TTR-125 in the dunes even if I could ( I weigh at least 100# more than it...) It just won't have the power to stay on top of the sand.

Second, Pismo is worth the drive from SD - especially since Glamis is gonna be way too hot to ride this time of year. Camping is on the beach plus a couple of other areas in the dunes. Time your arrival for low tide so you don't have any worries about crossing the creek. Cover you bikes with tarps at night because the fog will drench it.

Brian