Problems with Hinson gear Oil?

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I have been using the Hinson Racing Tranmission Oil in my 05 YZ 125 last weekend the clutch began slipping and got worse and worse. I let the track owner try my bike around the track (sandy) He is a way better and faster rider and only went about an eighth of the way around the track before returning saying my clutch is toast "I dont know how you can even make it around the track"
Well there is 25 hours on the bike and the transmission oil is changed after every 1-2 hours of riding time which seems excessive but I dont wanna spend the money on Inner hubs and pressure plates and baskets so I am extra cautious.
A few people suggested the synthetic oil could be to blame...and gave me the "I use ATF :blah: " I used it last year and it worked good but was seeking better protection even if it cost extra.

Could it be the oil or do I have to baby this clutch to get through half a season (This race season doesnt start for another few weeks! and I am already through a clutch!!") :bang:

I am just kinda shocked, I have never had clutch problems before on any bikes I raced my third hand 2001 KX 85 last year with the original clutch in it for half a season before the plates wore out!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My son went through 2 seasons on the same clutch on his 85. Last season we went through 3 on his 125, it's all part of getting faster and using the clutch to maximize drive out of corners. Or you had it adjusted without any free play and smoked the plates. Likely the only thing you need to replace at this point would be the fiber plates which won't break the bank. Make sure you check the steels to see that they aren't warped or turned blue from abuse and measure the springs to see if they are still in spec. while your changing the plates check the basket for notching to make sure it isn't the cause of your troubles.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Lot's of 125 riders are pretty hard on the clutch...The extra power of the 125 combine with clutch abuse will wear out your plates....Pretty normal for a 125.

Also some oils can make the clutch slip..You want to stay away from oils that say "energy conserving" on the api label...Usually it means they put high amounts of moly in the oil making it super slippery...It would seem that if it's oil formulated by Hinson that they would know better than to put stuff that would put the oil into energy conserving category...

You can just use a regular oil like penzoil, castrol or whatever and use 10w40...Usually the lighter weight 10w30's will be energy conserving and will have a high moly content so you want to avoid light weight oils.

Top Bottom