OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Just got back from my first ride after installing a PVL ignition on my 1972 MC250. I wish I would have done it sooner! Bike starts a lot easier. The throttle response seems to be crisper, and the bike just seems to run a whole lot better. It was a bit spendy, but well worth it. I'm getting ready to start a new restoration and plan on installing a PVL on it too.

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
PVL installation

How would you rate the installation? Everything fit nice & tidy?

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
As far as legality... nothing in the 2002 AHRMA rulebook refers to ignitions. My bike is in the Sportsman 250 class.

The installation was pretty simple. Had to drill a 3/8" hole through the interior casting behind where the stator plate mounts for the wiring to pass through. I had to modify the stator plate by grinding and filing a flat so that my ignition cover would fit. I took the bike to a shop and had them set the timing because I don't have the dial indicator ( It was worth the $30 they charged me to see all the mechanics and other folks drooling over the bike!). Had to drill a new mounting hole in the coil bracket and plug in a few wires. The instuctions were simple and they include a puller for the PVL rotor.

motogeeze

Aug 11, 1999
I believe radial engines wee available in late 72 also, so his may be such, however ahrma doesnt allow square barrels in the classic class, go figure, umm, ignitions dont fall under any scrutiny as far as legal or not, the pvl is a good replacement for those worn out points setups everyone i know that has em raves about em.
happy motoing!!:D

Top Bottom