ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
R.C is out, apparently he has ephstine bar virus. doctors orders to lay low for a while. Bercey is done too... this is unconfirmed but i seen it on racer x.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
From RacerX...

Carmichael Out For U.S. Open
- press release -

Seventeen-time champ forced to call it quits due to medical condition

BREA, Calif., (October 9, 2007) - American Suzuki Motor Corp. (ASMC) announced today that Team Makita Suzuki Racing's Ricky Carmichael will not compete at this weekend's US Open in Las Vegas. Carmichael has been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that is not improved by bed rest and that may be worsened by physical or mental activity. CFS affects more than one million people in the United States.

Carmichael's condition was more than likely brought on by his recent intense schedule of motorcycle and car racing, his training regime, and possibly a shortage of rest while caring for his newborn twins. "I've just felt like I've been running out of steam the past few months. Training has been difficult. I've struggled to maintain my normal pace on my road bike and though I've been extremely tired, I've had a difficult time sleeping and never really feel rested," said Carmichael.

Unfortunately, RC's condition not only means that he'll miss this weekend's US Open in Vegas, but he also will not be able to attend the Bercy Supercross in November as planned. This essentially means that the seventeen-time champion's motorcycle racing career has come to a premature end.

"I'm disappointed to have it end in this manner," said Carmichael. "I was really looking forward to racing the Open and Bercy. Suzuki has stepped up the testing on the new fuel-injected RM-Z450 in order to premier it at the Open. I feel bad for Suzuki, my team and my sponsors as well as Live Nation, who have been a great supporter of me during my supercross career. As it turns out, MX des Nations was my last motorcycle race that came and went without the celebration with my team and close friends I was looking forward to," added Carmichael.

"We are obviously disappointed to see Ricky's racing career with Makita Suzuki come to a end under these circumstances," said team manager, Roger DeCoster. "RC has been great asset for the sport of supercross and motocross and is a wonderful mentor for so many younger and older riders. His absence from racing will be greatly missed. Ricky will continue to contribute to team Makita Suzuki with testing and consulting but the important thing now is that he gets the rest and treatment he needs to get well," added DeCoster.

For more information on Team Makita Suzuki Racing, log onto www.teamsuzuki.com.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Villopoto ran a fantastic race, no doubt. But I recall that Ricky gave Villo his top gate pick and took the far outside for himself; he got tangled at the start and saw the whole pack pass him by while he was on the ground. Then he battled the entire moto and passed almost everybody, working his way up to third. Then, seeing that his protege, Villo, had the race sewn up, he may have decided not to expend any more energy passing Reed and maybe even Villo; the U.S. was obviously in the catbird seat even with Ricky in third. So maybe Villo would have beaten him straight up and maybe he wouldn't. It doesn't much matter. RC is gone and the young Turks are taking over. I'm excited about motocross in the coming years.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
My bet is RC has been dealing with CFS for a while and only now went thru the proceedures for a diagnosis.

All this does is to highlight the fact RC has more than the rest in terms of heart and persistance. This can be a debilitating desease and even in a mild form can certainly take the edge off an athelete in a sport like MX. The fact he was able to win as convincingly as he did in the beginning of the season and to do as well as he did during the MXDN is amazing when you overlay the typical impact of Epsteen Bar Virus in the form of CFS. Amazing. Go back and read RC's interviews of the end of last year and the beginning of this year...as I said; my bet is he was dealing with CFS for while.

Top Bottom