renes

Apr 7, 2002
I can't get any freeplay in my clutch lever. I've adjusted both the lever and the adjustment on the cable, but still nothing. The cable is so tight that the clutch is not completely engaged and I'm slipping especially on hills. I pulled the clutch apart and measured the friction plates and compared to a local shops Yamaha plates and mine were 0.115" and there's were 0.117". So I know it can't be the plates. What the heck else could it be?

I'm wondering if my cable has shortened itself? Ya, I know that is the opposite of what happens, but it is the only explanation I have. I bought it two years ago and it is a Motion Pro.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
renes said:
I'm wondering if my cable has shortened itself?
Ummm....... that would be a NO! If the range of adjustment available is not enough to adjust your clutch properly, there is something very wrong. If both your frictions and steels are within tolerance, there must be something else in the clutch train that's effectively shortening the system. The most likely candidate would be the pusher bearing. Make sure it's intact and in good condition. Be sure the bearing is pushing against the hardened washer. The previous owner of my DR had the bearing pushing directly against the aluminum pressure plate. It didn't take long for it to wear thru the plate. If the bearing, washer, pusher and push rod are all fine, there's a couple of thrust washers on either side of the basket. Verify that they're there and in good shape. In the process you'll also verify that the nut retaining the inner hub hasn't loosened. That's about all I can come up with.

Marc -

renes

Apr 7, 2002
Bunya said:
Ummm....... that would be a NO! If the range of adjustment available is not enough to adjust your clutch properly, there is something very wrong. If both your frictions and steels are within tolerance, there must be something else in the clutch train that's effectively shortening the system. The most likely candidate would be the pusher bearing. Make sure it's intact and in good condition. Be sure the bearing is pushing against the hardened washer. The previous owner of my DR had the bearing pushing directly against the aluminum pressure plate. It didn't take long for it to wear thru the plate. If the bearing, washer, pusher and push rod are all fine, there's a couple of thrust washers on either side of the basket. Verify that they're there and in good shape. In the process you'll also verify that the nut retaining the inner hub hasn't loosened. That's about all I can come up with.

Marc -
Ya, I checked the pusher bearing and it is in good condition. No wear and spins freely. The pusher bearing and washer are one assembly on my bike. I'm not sure what a thrust washer is, but I have two large thick washers on either side of the basket and they are keyed so you don't get them backwards. The nut is tight and a even have a new retaining washer on it.

So yesterday I bought a Yamaha clutch cable and it is 0.5" longer on the inner cable and the same on the outer. To me it would sound like it would fix it, but it DIDN'T! I don't understand why not. But playing around with the perch I removed one of the two adjusters and now I have play again. So basically I need to shorten the outer cable housing. But I don't understand why.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Have you replaced the clutch lately. If you have installed a kevlar clutch the problem is that the pressure plate and the inner clutch hub is being eaten up by the harder kevlar. Let me know if you have replaced the clutch with a kevlar clutch and I will tell you how to solve the problem.

renes

Apr 7, 2002
bruno670 said:
Have you replaced the clutch lately. If you have installed a kevlar clutch the problem is that the pressure plate and the inner clutch hub is being eaten up by the harder kevlar. Let me know if you have replaced the clutch with a kevlar clutch and I will tell you how to solve the problem.

I have stock plates. Never been changed. The book suggests replacement at 0.110". Mine are 0.114" and brand new ones are about 0.117".

renes

Apr 7, 2002
micshol said:
Did you check your steel plates and your pressure plate for flat? Is there supposed to be a ball in between the push rods?

Ya, this was the first thing I did. And the 99's don't have the ball. I remember my 94 did, but the 99 has a different push rod.

Tonight I'm going to use parts from my buddy's 94. Plates and pressure plate are the same on his bike. Hopefully after tonight I'll know what the problem is.

This has been a good one thats for sure.

Top Bottom