2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Ride an RM250 in the woods...often REAL tight stuff. Many of my buddies have auto-clutches and they seem "magic" in those conditions, but they're all 4-stroke guys. I'm considering a Rekluse, but don't want to give up the "snap" I often use to get over sudden logs...etc. I've heard the clutch lever is usable but "different". Some imput? Thanks.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I'm wondering the same thing? I understand its wonderful in tight, technical stuff, but how useable is the clutch lever for modulating power at high rpm/high load situtations (say, leaving the face of a bit up-hill double)?

My application would be an 01 CR250

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I don't have the magazine with me but, I think Dirt Bike has an article about a guy who races on a 05 YZ250 who has one in his bike and I think he loved it. I wish I hadn't left that magazine at work. :bang:

And... those 01 cr250's are great bikes. Lucky. :nod:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I love mine. I was fortunate enough to find one in near new condition (vet enduro Friend who bought it and started clearing land/building a house at the same time and never really road it). It costs as much as newer one's but is really clean and I like the old, mechanical power valve motor. My only gripe is the close ratio gear box. With the stock gearing first is super tall and for the first time in years I find my self stalling in technical stuff (and I'm not all that inexperienced, been riding for 10 years, race B class MX and HS), yet 5th is just barly high enough for fast stuff. I'd like to either put in a wide ratio gear set (found a company that makes them for my bike:)) or an auto clutch and tall gearing. Perhaps you can give an update on that mag article Monday?

thanks

josh

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I would love to have one on my 99, but I don't like the freewheeling effect for long, steep downhills. Would be awesome for the uphills, though.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
you can eliminate the freewheeling. It take some practice but you give the bike a little gas spinning it enough to engage the clutch...

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Ride an RM250 in the woods...often REAL tight stuff. Many of my buddies have auto-clutches and they seem "magic" in those conditions, but they're all 4-stroke guys. I'm considering a Rekluse, but don't want to give up the "snap" I often use to get over sudden logs...etc. I've heard the clutch lever is usable but "different". Some imput? Thanks.

Mine has definitely made me a better rider, but I think I'm ready to go back to the clutch. You can use the clutch, and when going down a hill you have to apply a little throttle to prevent it to stop it from freewheeling (that is if you pull in the clutch when going downhill). It has probably saved me no telling how many times on hills while others were stuck or waiting. Logs are not a problem, you feel like a trials rider going up to a fallen tree with a auto clutch, smaller ones scattered across the trail are just as easy just apply some throttle or some clutch if necessary. I've taken it to the track and it worked well there, I could brake slide into corners like never before, and jumping with it was still the same. I thought the start would hurt me (at the MX track)because I couldn't rev it very far before it would start to pull, but I was very near the front every time which surprised me. As long as your in the right gear for the situation the auto clutch works pretty dang good, but I've got a MX bike and I'm gonna buy a enduro and try some woods racing. Plus I've only been riding for about 5 years or so, and I want to try it old school ;)
Everybody has there own opinions, I like the auto clutch, but for me it has helped me learned how I was riding wrong, if that makes sense.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
So with the auto clutch can you still use the clutch lever like normal to modualte power at high-rpm where the auto clutch would normally be fully locked up?

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I guess you are talking about "slipping" it, you can but it does it for you and that is kind of the love it/hate it that I have heard from people around hear that have rode with that auto clutch. The thing is when you get on a bike with a auto clutch, just forget about touching the clutch lever altogether once you start riding, there is almost no need for it. It will make you a better rider, it will make riding the harder things easier, it does all the work for you. Everybody is different, some like some don't, I don't hate it, it's a good product. Somebody put alot of thought into making that clutch.
The best thing is to ride one, if you go to a state HS I bet you gould find 10 or so people of 200 that run a auto clutch.

Ando

Apr 5, 2000
I've got a Rekluse for my 97 CR250. It is a very good combination for my bike. Over here on Kauai the trails are beyond tight and technical and this set up works very well. I happened to luck out with my engine combination though. My bike has very good smooth low and mid with only a modest top end. I don't know how well it would work with a peaky weak low end - hard mid hit bike. The clutch can still be over ridden, but with the centrifugal clamping effect of the Rekluse, the clutch action is highly variable. When the bike is at very high RPM the clutch is very hard to pull. When the engine is at low RPM the clutch is vague and unconnected. I would not expect to use much clutch with this set up. I am a converted 4-stroke guy though, so I do not use the clutch at all. Instead, I have a handle bar mounted master cylinder for the rear brake in place of a clutch with a small over ride lever above that. This allows me to keep both feet on the pegs at all times. Perfect for those slick wet clay rooty off camber uphill left hand corners.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Ando,
I'm guessing you saw that I ride an '03 RM250...when you mentioned not much low-end, then nasty hard hit. Had (woods) cylinder and head work done to help with that years jetting woes, and the luggable, way friendlier torque this bike now produces is just the ticket! Just took the plunge and ordered a Rekluse...our club puts on a H.S. in 3 weeks, tight and nasty....the starting, stopping of trail work and hanging arrows ought to give me a good idea of it's performance. I'll keep you posted... Thanks everyone.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Ando said:
The clutch can still be over ridden, but with the centrifugal clamping effect of the Rekluse, the clutch action is highly variable. When the bike is at very high RPM the clutch is very hard to pull. When the engine is at low RPM the clutch is vague and unconnected. I would not expect to use much clutch with this set up. I am a converted 4-stroke guy though, so I do not use the clutch at all. Instead, I have a handle bar mounted master cylinder for the rear brake in place of a clutch with a small over ride lever above that. This allows me to keep both feet on the pegs at all times. Perfect for those slick wet clay rooty off camber uphill left hand corners.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I grew up on small bore 2-strokes and am not sure I could do without a good, consistent manual clutch (but still might give it a try). Do the EFM and Revloc manual clutches work in a similar way (i.e. not very well)?

Top Bottom