Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Woods, I built the car to be Super Pro legal even though its a street car. I didn't want to have issues with tech inspections. When I swapped the 396 for the 427 I surpassed ET for the NHRA rqmts for Super Pro.
So its a good thing I did it! :)

Rockrider300

Uhhh...
Sep 4, 2001
Offroadr what kind of car did you drag. I want to get into it but what would be a cheap car to get started with that would be cheap. One that is a V8. I was thinking about doing it to a 1988 mustang gt, did they have fuel injection in them by that time, did thay have any problems with haveing to much power.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
My car is a '66 Chevelle. But today you can't beat the price/performance of a GT mustang. Especially if you stick with the 302. The aftermarket is full of hop up parts!

I cringe typing this as I am a GM person through and through :eek:

GM is really missing the boat today in the performance world. The Mustang events are HUGE today.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The best "late model" Mustang's are the early 90's 5.0 coupes, not the GT's. These cars had the same engine as the GT, but weighed less. If you are lucky enough to find one that hasn't been thrashed, a few simple bolt on's can have you running consistent high 12 et's. Which is very good for bracket racing.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I hate how the rice burners sound. My bro has a 5.0L mustang with flowmaster exhaust and it sounds like one mean mother. But he also has a 2001 kawa zx-6r that makes no noise but absolutely screams.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by Rockrider300
I was thinking about doing it to a 1988 mustang gt, did they have fuel injection in them by that time, did thay have any problems with haveing to much power.

I believe that 87 was the last year for Carbs. so I would assume that the 88 would have to have some form of FI. Maybe throttle body?

Rockrider300

Uhhh...
Sep 4, 2001
I think the Mustangs GT only had muilt port FI on them But I may be wrong. Good thing about them is they are light and you can stick a 351 in them without that much trouble and lots of mods out there.

Johnrock

Jul 27, 1999
Beaverton, OR
FYI, 85 was the last year of the carb'ed stang, 86-88 used a fuel injection system, the air/fuel mixture controlled via an air speed meter, as opposed to the mass air meter of the 89 & later Mustangs.

If you plan on doing anything to the motor on an 86-88, you should first convert it to the mass air unit, as the speed metered one does not compensate well for any flow changes. Having done that, your options are limited only by your wallet.

The stock 302 heads are the most restrictive part of the motor, so if you want big hp numbers, be ready to spend some coin on TFS or Dart heads.

I built an 89 302 that I autocrossed in SCCA E Street Prepared class, it was a very fun car to say the least. Hope to get another one for a project again someday.

Last edited:

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
When I said 87 I meant across the board (not just Mustangs). 87 Was the last year for Carbs. on ANY (Domestic) car. There's no longer the option of having a Carb. :( :(

I believe that even seat belts should still be an option. Then again I own a Corvair. :) :)

Johnrock

Jul 27, 1999
Beaverton, OR
KXKen,

I didn't know 87 was the last year of a carb domestic, period. Learn something new every day.

Just wanted to give some clarity to Rockrider 300's search for the perfect ponycar.

I believe that even seat belts should still be an option. Then again I own a Corvair.

My dad would agree. He had a sweet Corvair, then I came along and he had to sell it......hey, that explains a lot now that I think about it..... :scream:

Rockrider300

Uhhh...
Sep 4, 2001
I will just get what ever I get my hands on but will try to get a 89. Can the stock heads be ported enough to get more power out of them. Is the 351 engine a stroked 302 or is a bigger bore size.

Johnrock

Jul 27, 1999
Beaverton, OR
The stock heads can be ported, or you can exchange your stock ones for a ported/polished/big valve set.

I can't remember the name, but there was a company a few years ago selling them for $595 + your stock heads as a core. They came assembled with dual valve springs and 1.60 intake/1.90 exhaust valves. I don't remember the flow numbers but they were a LOT better than stock.

The 302 has a lot of potential, IMHO you would get the most bang for the buck with it.

Good luck, hope you find the one you want.

Johnrock

Jul 27, 1999
Beaverton, OR
$595 a pair w/ your stock heads sent to them as a core charge.

1.60/1.90 valves are close to the same size as the monster valves in the Cleveland heads. One of the main issues with the stockers is the small valve size, so with that corrected, they do make big difference.

Don't know if Clevelands will bolt on without some mods or not.

As with any hi-po vehicle, beware the fully modded ones, they most likely have been run very hard. Who wouldn't? :)

CR125_tom

Apr 20, 2001
Mustangs were carbed until 85. 86, 87 and some early 88's had the speed density FI system which didn't take to engine mods so easily. In 88 the mustangs started to use the mass air flow system which will adapt more readily to engine mods. All FI motors used roller cams and followers from the factory.

I would recommend the 5.0 LX. It has all the power amenities as the GT's without the body kit (which looks somewhat outdated today). I purchased the GT model since I was young and single back then and wanted a flashy car. They all (87 up) came with an 8.8 inch limited slip rear diff.
In 91 the mustangs came with the 5 star 16 inch wheels. A great improvement over the finned 15 inchers on earlier models. They may have put in a stronger Borg Warner T5 tranny too at this time. Also sometime in 89 or 90 they had smaller headrests if you care.

The 5.0's really are good cars to hot rod. Make sure you get the 5 speed. The trannys are tough and light. I could yank the trans off myself with it on my chest under the car.

Great place to start is the heads. There are a number of suppliers. Some cost more than others. I bought the Ford Motorsport GT40 heads for around a grand brand new and fully assembled. Add some shorty headers, Flowmaster cat back kit, and lower gearing (stock 3.08 to 3.89 or 4.10) in the rear end will make this thing fly!

The Windsor heads will fit but I believe it will lower your compression (I'm not sure on specs but I don't see a lot of folks running 351W heads on the 5.0's).

A whole 351W will fit in the T5 trans (Saleen did this) although the firing order may be different. I can't remember 100 percent. I do remember that the distributor rotor turned backwards.

I loved this car, but sold it back in 94 because I needed money for our wedding. Still miss it.

The ideal years for a 5.0 mustang? I would pick and LX from 91 to 93 with the 16 inch wheels and beefed up trans. Oh, and an air bag too!

Last edited:

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
There is one thing that you get with an american car that you can't get in a rice burner. This past 4th of july, my father let me take out his Corvette to cruise around in. I felt like a million bucks. Every where i went, people would turn to look.

And as for speed, in the lastest Car and Driver, they have a Supertuner challenge. John lingenfelter had a 650 hp twin turbo vette that smoked the competition. In the end of the article, they challege any one that can produce any steet leagal car that can beat what the vette did.

And as for detroit not being able to build a good sports car, anyone notice what happened to all the Jap. sportscars? They don't make them anymore. No more Supras, no 300zx, no RX-7, no 3000gt, the only cars left are the civics and integras and the like.

Johnrock

Jul 27, 1999
Beaverton, OR
CR125_tom wrote:

Mustangs were carbed until 85. 86, 87 and some early 88's had the speed density FI system which didn't take to engine mods so easily. In 88 the mustangs started to use the mass air flow system which will adapt more readily to engine mods.

The 1989 5.0 was the first MODEL year to benefit from the MAF unit.

I have many friends with 88's that had to convert from speed to mass air flow units, both they and their checkbooks can attest to the fact that the 1988 5.0 roller motor did NOT come with a MAF sensor from the factory.

Great place to start is the heads

Is there an echo in here? :)

I put on the GT40 upper/lower intake as well, Crane roller rockers, Accufab billet 70mm throttle body/spacer, Pro-M 77mm MAF meter & conical K&N filter. That coupled with the DART II heads really let this motor breathe.

Also MAC 2 1/2" equal lenght headers, off-road H-pipe, and 3 chamber flowmasters w/ 3.55 gears in the rear end. The H-pipe is only legal if you don't need to DEQ the car, otherwise a set of hi-flow cats are needed.

The handling can be greatly improved with stiffer springs and poly bushings in the front/ rear control arms, sway bars, and steering rack. Those 2 things made the biggest difference in handling for me. I'm sure the Kenny Brown subframe connectors, strut tower brace, and K-member brace helped, but springs/bushings made the biggest improvement.

I sold mine after our son was born, hopefully will get the chance to do another one soon.

As CR125_tom said, they are great hot rods, and you're only limited by your wallet as to how "hot" you want to make them.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted!

All this talk makes me want another one in the garage right now. ;)

CR125_tom

Apr 20, 2001
Sorry... I forgot that California had different emissions requirements. My 1988 "Califnornia Model" came with the MAF as stock.

After this thread I am also wanting one BAAD!

Johnrock

Jul 27, 1999
Beaverton, OR
Forgot about the California models, my apologies as well.

No one I know has owned the California version, were there any other differences/changes to those models? One would think based on past California emissions requirements that they would have even more restrictive emiissions systems. :eek:

BTW, as someone mentioned earlier, a great source of late model mustang info can be found at The Corral

Read it with caution though, if you have ever owned one of these in the past, you WILL soon be down at the local convienience store buying the latest Auto Trader. :)

Thankfully, this thread has been a respite from the WTC 24hr coverage I've been glued to. :think :(

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
The new 'Vettes are sweet! Unfortunately, not all of us can afford to drive one. Here in Cali our cars are the principle mode of transportation, and everything is so spread out it's easy to drive anywhere from 50-200 miles a day.
Civics ( and the like ) are popular here because they're practical. I'm not bashing anyone that owns a muscle car- it's just that some of us have to take a more practicle approach, and light, quick, fuel efficient rice burners are that approach. I mean, my God, some of you guys ride 4-strokes!:p

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
yeah the auto with the shifter are called ratchet shifting or a shift kit. it allows you to shift your automatic when you want. the toyota supras (93.5 and up) have the sport shift, which is an automatic transmission w/ maunal over-ride. there are buttons on the steering wheel that you use to shift up and down, the lexus's have these too and they are basically the same as what indy car drivers have. another style is tiptronic, which is what porsches have, its a manual transmission w/ a shifter...you push forward to shift up and backward to shift down.
to answer rockriders question...the manual transmission w/ ratchet shifting is the way to go, you dont have to let off the power to push in the clutch and you dont have to take time to move the shifter...justt keep it floored and throw it into the next gear. my friend has this on his chevy nova and it flies
casper250...no more jap sports cars? the supra got pulled because of emissions, and i have heard rumors that toyota will be re-releasing the supra in 2003. some guy told me they are still being produced in japan but i'm pretty sure thats bs. toyota also makes the celica gt, which hauls ass. a guy i work with had one, then he let some guy drive it and he dropped it from 5th to second goin 110...it revved to 13500 and blew. mitsubishi has the eclipse, which is a tank but with enough power they can move around pretty good. im not sure where they're from but hyundai has the tiburon, w/ a turbo kit, intake/exhaust and a couple other mods that thing is pretty quick...dont laugh i have an 89 4cyl hyundai sonata 5 spd and ive smoked guys w/ v6's and it'll hit 120 no prob. allthough the japs dont really put out many sports cars these days, the older ones definately have hop up potential. ive seen 4cyl civics smoke tricked out corvettes. allthough the lingenfelter corvette is an awesome car, i would chose a twin turbo supra over it any day. a stock corvette runs probably $55,000 fully loaded (correct me if i'm wrong) but pick up a 95-97 tt supra for 30,000...w/ another 25,000 left over for goodies that thing would tear up any corvette.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I really like the Saleen Mustangs. I've seen newer ones with the supercharged 351's make just short of 500 hp with no other mods.Steve Saleen takes stock GT's and goes through them 100%. With Racecraft suspension, better brakes, cool body styling, etc. they really are sweet cars... and very fast.

hOnDaGuY332

Aug 9, 2001
I tell you what, even though i am only 14 I can tell you so much about rice burners, where i live there are quite a few, and i am already setting one up for myself, but considering i dont have a job, its going slowly, but i have a 99 acura 3.2tl, and with some aftermrket engine parts, a system, rims, and airbag suspension, it will be kick ass, i mean i dont see how any of you can not like those rice burners, i guess an acura isnt one, but it is still an import, if you go and buy a euro car magazine, some of the cars are pretty impressive, and the money that is won from a car show, might change you mind about them too:cool:

Top Bottom