2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
2006 Rites of Spring CCC Trail Tour
May 6-7, 2006

New location!! At the fairgrounds in Atlanta Michigan. Fairgrounds are 2 miles north of Atlanta on M-33, just across the road from the Atlanta DNR office.

Rustic camping available on site - no water or electric. Water available at the facility.
Camping is $10 per night.
Gates to the fairgrounds will open Friday morning - they will NOT be open before then, you will _not_ be able to get in before Friday.

There are motels nearby in Atlanta; there are also other public camping options close by at Clear Lake State Park and Jackson Lake State Forest Campground.

Multiple trail loop options available with varying lengths up to 80 miles.
ATV loops on separate course.
50's loop on site, bigger kids loop options on the trail.
There is gas and food available on the long loop.

Dual Sport option - two routes of fantastic stuff. Street legal bikes only.

Kids training on site, adult novice ride as well.

Directions: Take I-75 to Gaylord; M-32 east to Atlanta; north on M-33 a couple miles; fairgrounds is on west side of the road at intersection of Kellyville and M-33.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Hmm.....should I go...or not? Open garage door, start the bike up, ride north 5 miles to the Fairgrounds Yep, the long drive will be worth it I am sure! Looks like I will be doing my first ROS this year!

Some hotel info:

A-win Sands in Atlanta. 989-785-2337 has a pool - nicer of the two options in Atlanta

Atlanta Motel 989-785-4509

There are others in Hillman and Lewiston not to far away - LMK if anyone needs phone #s for those.

The Atlanta trails were groomed this fall, so they should be in good shape. Quite a bit of maintenance was done this year to. At least one nasty mud hole water crossing fixed - one other I sure hope gets addressed before ROS!

See everyone in May!

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Hey Mike - I thought you were offering free room + board and beer to all MTR regulars? I saw it listed in the ad, but didn't have a chance to post here..

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Mike has free room and board wooohooo :aj: Im in, save me a spot by the fire place it can be cold up there. Mike are you sure this is ok with Sheila. :yikes:

Curtis

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Did someone say free food and beer at Mikes for Rites of Spring? Woooohoooo!

Curtis is brining his new bike, wooohooo!

He's going to let me borrow it for the weekend! Heehoo!

And, Curtis, the tank will have been on reserve for 30 minutes after I give it back 20 miles from home Weeheee!

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Did someone say free bike? Check out this promotion Lansing Cycle has going with the Rites of Spring:

Would you like to be a “FACTORY RIDER” for a day?

LANSING CYCLE is going to specially prepare a 2006 KTM 335XCW for a random rider (drawn from the contest entries) to be ridden on the first day of the 2006 RITES OF SPRING on May 6, 2006.

What is a KTM 335? It is a specially built KTM 300 that is going to first be featured in the 2006 DIRT RIDER MAGAZINE’S ANNUAL 24HR TEST and then be brought back from California to be specifically set up for the contest winner.

LANSING CYCLE’S factory mechanic will not only fully prep the bike, but will also ride along with the contest winner to make any fine adjustments that the rider may need through out the day.

FREE GEAR, yes the winner will also receive a FREE set of KTM Hard Equipment pants, jersey, gloves and chest protector to wear on the ride and take home with them.

No FACTORY RIDER would ever consider of supplying his own fuel or paying for lunch, so LANSING CYCLE will take care of that also.

What FACTORY RIDER doesn’t have a camera in their face all the time? So we have made special arrangements for the staff of GREAT LAKES TRAILRIDER to take notes and photos from prepping the bike to the smile on the riders face after the ride, and print it in GLTR.

Sound good? Just fill out the following entry form by April 1st 2006 and mail it to Lansing Cycle, c/o 2006 ROS, 6081 S. M. L. King, Lansing MI 48911 or enter on line at www.lansingcycle.com for your chance to be a FACTORY RIDER FOR A DAY.

2006 ROS Factory Rider For A Day Official Entry.

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone:
E-Mail:

Contest Rules: Must be at least 25 years old. Must be a member of the CCC and signed up in the Rites of Spring. Must have valid Cycle Operator Driver’s License. Must have valid Medical Insurance. Must have valid Auto Insurance Policy.

(edit to include how to sign up)

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
uh....sure?!!!???? we should have room for oh, 2 to 3 hundred here. My darling Sheila would be thrilled! :yikes: But, you might have to bring your own beer!

Actually, we could have a limited number of people here if anyone would like. If need be, we could even bring in some porta potties to help keep our plumbing happy! We do have plenty of room for campers. But I dont want to needlessly draw people away from the "main event" site so to speak.

Curtis, you could snag a spot in front of the fireplace if you dont mind sharing it with the dog!...and if you let ME ride that new bike (what did you get huh? fess up...you went orange didnt ya!) but it MUST have a full tank of gas, and a GPS attached!

Hey that is an outstanding promo item - a factory ride for a day! Where do i sign up?

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
KTM Mike said:
Hey that is an outstanding promo item - a factory ride for a day! Where do i sign up?

The latest GLTR has the full ad and all the info, but I'll edit the original post to include it.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
I'll be curious how many fewer (my guess) riders will be at ROS based on the different location this year.

Recently at least, ROS almost always draws a big crowd, which kind of surprises me with the location (I have never thought much of that trail system - too beat up, open, and whooped out for my liking) but the facilities were good - that and being the 1st organized ride of the season, were my guesses as to why it was so popular.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out this year.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
For those from the southeast area (ie Detroit), this is about the same distance and amount of travel time. Obviously, for those from the SW, it's a much further drive.
I too agree it will be interesting to see how the turnout is. I would have to say it was getting a bit on the "too big" side at Whiskey Creek. Wouldn't cry a bit if it was toned down to the 500 rider size. I'm not detracting from RoS or complaining and encourage everyone to attend.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I really think the draw was the facilities and the fact it was the first ride of the year. I don't care for the trail system, especially get out toward the back half of the big crowd. It gets really tiring riding whoops on end.

Wild idea - and I know this would be a BIG task for the CCC, but would reduce the load on any single trail system - why not two events the same weekend, one east, one west? The DNR/Forest Service may be less up-tight because the area loading would be theoretically half the amount on any given district and trail system, the trails would stay better, and both regions which could use the economic benefit would at least see some.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
MWEISSEN said:
I really think the draw was the facilities and the fact it was the first ride of the year.

First ride of the year and the hype surrounding it. They used to have plenty of riders when RoS was at Ranch Rudolf, but certainly not ~1000 riders.
I blame much of it's popularity on the GLTR Editor (Tim Hoffman). I use "blame" as tongue in cheek. He helped to promote and hype the event in the magazine, just as he has done with the Tomahawk ride. Certainly he is not the only factor, but the more something is promoted, the more people talk about it, the more interest there is, etc etc. Pretty soon it's a good size event.

So, I'd have to say it's promotion, first ride of the year + see old friends. I'm not certain the facilities are a key factor, but I'm willing to be wrong on that one.

MWEISSEN said:
why not two events the same weekend, one east, one west?

There is not the man-power for such a task, but it's not a bad idea!

Question for the masses that go to RoS:
Why do you go? What is the draw?

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
MWEISSEN said:
I really think the draw was the facilities and the fact it was the first ride of the year. I don't care for the trail system, especially get out toward the back half of the big crowd. It gets really tiring riding whoops on end.

Wild idea - and I know this would be a BIG task for the CCC, but would reduce the load on any single trail system - why not two events the same weekend, one east, one west? The DNR/Forest Service may be less up-tight because the area loading would be theoretically half the amount on any given district and trail system, the trails would stay better, and both regions which could use the economic benefit would at least see some.

The big drawback, as you suggest, would be the "double duty" required of the chapter(s) involved - that and i suspect that another of the single event draws is that folks not usually able to ride together because of distances - east and west(ers) - look forward to the perhaps 1x per year when they can renew friendships/ get to ride together for a couple days.

Sorry 2TrackR we must have been typing at the same time - didn't mean to repeat your answer

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
2TrakR said:

I have gone to RIDE! :ride:

but in all fairness. that was the first riding I'd ever done in MI after moving here from FL. Now my boys are riding too, and the G/F just got a bike, so we were excited to be heading back to a familiar spot to ride, socialize, and unwind. But my boys and G/F really like having the facilities at Whiskey creek. They arent as hyped about going this year. :|

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
2TrakR said:

Last year was my 1st ROS and 1st CCC event for that matter.

I certainly didn't go for the trail riding. I can ride that system any day of the year. And as others have said, its no jem of a trail.

For me it was more to hang out with friends and ride with my son. My boy had an absolute riot last year. That was enough of a reason for me to do it again :cool:

I did manage to get in a little riding minus the Kid on Sunday but Wolfchild and I did out own dual sport ride (yes we were both platted) picking and choosing the best sections of trail trying to avoid some of the woops.

Only real downside for me was the cost of the event. I couldn't believe how much $ I spent that weekend. I am more of a find a clear spot in the woods and throw down a tent kind of camper. That pay to camp pay to ride. pay to park. pay pay pay stuff was a bit of a reality check for me. But what do ya do.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
JMHO but I thought Wiskey Creek was rapeing people on the camping cost to park in a field. I realize there are showers and a pool but 800 people can't all use it. If you got the hook up sites then you should pay but to camp in a field for $18 a night.

I go to ROS to see my friends and my kids really enjoy it. We will have just as much fun in Atlanta.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Wolf Child said:
pool, showers, laundry if need be.... Just the club house in general.

FWIW - there is a new laundry facility located basicially right across from the fairgrounds.

Certainly, having on site showers and pool is nice, but for me personally, not a pre-requisite. I am fortunate in that my wife and kids dont mind "roughing it" (to many years of backpacking in our blood I guess!) Of course, there is Jackson Lake, Clear Lake and Dischau Lake nearby to go take a dunk in! :laugh: And there are the local motel options. But, for me, there will be my comfy own house to return to each evening! :nener:

Hey Jeremy - is there any way a special deal could be worked out with the State Park (Clear Lake) to allow CCC members access to their facilities during the event? Or for that matter, one of the motels in Atlanta? I am sure that anything that would bring people into town would be appreciated by local businesses!

And....another thought. Each year when the SCCA rally is in town many locals rent out space to racers. Might that be an option? Down side there is it pulls people away from the "event HQ" at the fair grounds, and takes potential $ from the Fair board - then again, it might attract people who otherwise might not attend?

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
I dont mind roughing it. but I guess the boys and the G/F are just more "civilized" than I am.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
More good ideas, Mike. Working out special rates with local biz has been a mixed bag in the past. It makes a lot more work for the volunteers putting this event together for the headache that usually follows 'cause somebody's thermostat was 5 degrees off or something silly like that. Next year, if we go back to Atlanta, we'd have more opportunity to try such things. I'll run it by Phil & gang to see if they have a free body to make some calls.
I'd be very doubtful of the State Park special rate, it IS the State after all ;-) That's something we can push though - if you have a State Park Annual Pass or want to purchase a daily pass, you can use the showers at Clear Lake.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Mike count me in for a camping spot :nod:
I'll miss Whiskey Creek, Sunday I'd all way's take the wife and kids to breakfast, then we'd hang out at the pool and hot tube. The trail wasn't much deep whoops, long and a little road riding. But it started the season off on the right foot. You could put almost a 100 miles of hard work on the bike. I never had any trouble with the officials either you just had to obey the rules. :ahhh:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
2TrakR said:
I'll run it by Phil & gang to see if they have a free body to make some calls.
I'd be very doubtful of the State Park special rate, it IS the State after all ;-) That's something we can push though - if you have a State Park Annual Pass or want to purchase a daily pass, you can use the showers at Clear Lake.

I could help you out if you want? I know some of the local business owners and might be able to do some good...or wait...did i tick all them off already? :yikes:

LMK

Top Bottom