Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I ran across this on a local car club forum and thought it was interesting enough to share.

==========================================

One Top Fuel dragster's 500-cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first four rows at the Daytona 500.

A stock Dodge Hemi V-8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air-fuel mixture for nitromethane, the flame front temperature measures about 7000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, separated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing heat of the exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes can be totally consumed during a single pass. After half-distance, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees Fahrenheit. The engine is shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If a spark plug fails early in the run, un-burned nitro can build up in the affected cylinder and explode with sufficient force to blow the cylinder head off in pieces or split the cylinder block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate at an average of more than 4 g's. In order to reach 200 mph before half-distance, the launch acceleration approaches 8 g's. A Top Fuel dragster reaches more than 300 mph before you have completed reading this sentence.

With a redline that can be as high as 9500 rpm, Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light. Including the burnout, the engine needs to survive only 900 revolutions under load.

Assuming that all of the equipment is paid off, the crew works gratis, and nothing breaks, each run costs an estimated $1000 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter-mile (October 5, 2003, Tony Schumacher). The top-speed record is 333.25 mph as measured over the last 66 feet of the quarter-mile (November 9, 2003, Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo Corvette Z06. More than a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a measured quarter-mile as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the Vette up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The "tree" goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down, but you hear a brutal whine that sears your eardrums, and within three seconds, the dragster catches you and beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile from where you just passed him. From a standing start, the dragster spotted you 200 mph and not only caught you but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 feet.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Very cool Rich!

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
Thats Pretty intersting.. :cool:

Rich Rohrich said:
Assuming that all of the equipment is paid off, the crew works gratis, and nothing breaks, each run costs an estimated $1000 per second.

2 passes, and I could afford a CRF450!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Very cool.. I live exactly 1 mile from the finish line of the drag strip at IRP (I refuse to call it by it's new name).

When a car launches, it rattles glass in my windows.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
A drag racing co-worker of mine also said that if they back out of the throttle and pull the shoot at the same time they will detatch their retinas :yikes:

Some insane fuel flow too, I don't remember the #s something in gallons per second.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Those are some amazing stats Rich. :yikes:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
IndyMX said:
Very cool.. I live exactly 1 mile from the finish line of the drag strip at IRP (I refuse to call it by it's new name).

When a car launches, it rattles glass in my windows.
I envy you, I grew up less than 5 miles from The Fremont Drags. Remember the days of waking up and hearing the cars, begging my dad to take me. Then going Great times!:cool:

Rich, I knew this thread was going to be a great read, seeing Horsepower and your name goes hand in hand :cool:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
rickyd said:
I envy you, I grew up less than 5 miles from The Fremont Drags. Remember the days of waking up and hearing the cars, begging my dad to take me. Then going Great times!:cool:

Rich, I knew this thread was going to be a great read, seeing Horsepower and your name goes hand in hand :cool:

The cool part, they are racing something out there every weekend and a few weeknights all summer long.

And in the spring and fall, there's usually a top fuel car or two out there testing most every day.

It's some seriously cool noise.

I should get some audio recording of it sometime from my kitchen window.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
^I'm glad im not the only one that refuses to say ORP. I didn't make it this year unfortunately.

I'm at school right now but i'll be down in Indy next weekend for the MotoGP race. I'm really excited.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Where do most people watch the races at the drag strip? Bleechers? Not me, down by the finish! The sound of them motors tapped out, sweeeeeet! Cept for the rocket cars, right by the start. Do you think they snivel about top end life and rebuilds? 900 revolutions, nice! Know a guy who sent his vette to Lingenfelter, mid 8 second street car?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
That's good stuff, Rohrich.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I was at the Friday night Route 66 qualifying session in 2004 when Tony Pedregon was the first Funny Car to break 330mph putting down a 4.716 seconds pass at 331.28 mph. It was amazing to hear and see that pass in the still night air.

Mike Perry the multi-talented R&D chief at Kibblewhite does cylinder heads and crews for a front engine dragster Vintage team so he spends a lot of his free time in this world. I hadn't gone to an NHRA event in a really long time but Mike convinced me to go to Route 66 and see the Top Fuel and Funny Car stuff. He assured me the new breed of cars would just blow my mine, with the controlled violence they display.

He couldn't have been more right. You have not lived till you've sat near the starting line for a round of Top Fuel and Funny Cars. Your chest will be sore from the compression waves hitting your chest.

It's a pretty amazing show.

It's funny to think that there was a time when the NHRA had a ban on "fuel" cars . ;)

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Well, standing anywhere in Dale Creasy's garage, door closed, when he fired up the latest creation was and still is a very cherished moment, and yes, I cried! I swear I seen the nuts spinning off the anchors holding the walls to the foundation! He was running either the Chi Town Hustler, or the Tyrant, top fuel funny car, around 1975. US 30 was real close. The fools with tools that showed up out there! How do you launch a bike and hit the tree?? Blowers and clutch parts in the crowd, another reason we figured the finish was safer! But what Dale could do to motors. He was intrigued with my little CR 125 cylinder, and it ate a lot of pistons. Maximum piston speed, huh? His son Little Dale had an enduro 100, wonder what a little nitro will do? The kill switch does not work when the engine is burning nitro methane? Then he called goodyear and told them he needed a special track for a snowmobile! He lived a couple of blocks from the Lansing airport, nice place to test. I could not imagine him and computer technology. I have not talked to them in ages, but I did see they mopped up in the ahra recently. Talking to big Dale was like talking to Dr. Dave, and Eric. Go figure. And you figure you've seen it all, and some guy shows up in a rocket semi! You watch it blow out the back, a warm feeling shortly after it passes the bleachers, and let it coast across the finish. Till a guy has issues and stops a little further away, and back on earth!

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Doooohhhhh, late to the party again. :whoa:

Top Bottom