Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Hi All, I've been lurking on this forum for months hoping to never have to post . . . well, if you ride you're gonna fall . . .

Highsided and went over the bike. Landed straight into a berm on my right shoulder. My ribs, and shoulder are bruised but nothing's cracked or noticebly torn. I remember hitting my head on the ground too (thankfully neck is okay).

Exalminig my gear later, my helmet and goggles we're caked with dirt, but there was not visible scratches to my helmet. I do remember hitting my head, but can't remember how hard -- everything happened so fast.

Question: should I play it safe and buy a new lid? When I raced bicyles, I always bought a new helmet after a crash knowing that protection can be compromised even without any visible damamge, but that was with bicycle helmets. I don't know what is the protocol for MX helmets. Advice please . . .

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I've always been told that if you drop it or land on it good, you need to replace it. But it's like my Dad says - "If you've got a $50 head, buy a $50 helmet. If it's worth more than that to you, pony up!"

Seriously, if you don't remember the crash, it sounds like you took a good enough spill to warrant a new bucket. If nothing else it's good insurance, plus a chance to get a cool new bucket!

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Thanks for the advice. Sometimes I feel like I do have a $50 dollar brain!!

Went for M2R Revelation X (love the Lusk replica, but couldn't justify the extra $$, so got the team graphics). Should be getting it in a few days, can hardly wait.

So what do you all do with your old helmets?

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
So what do you all do with your old helmets?
That's a good question! :think:
Buddy's helmet was cracked, so we had no hesitation to throw it in the garbage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom