Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I have a pair of Sidi Force boots (regular sole) that I really like for their comfort and protection. My issue is that the leather on the front of the ankle is being cut into by the edge of the plastic shin protector pretty badly.

The plastic edge is very sharp, and when the boot flexes forward, the sharp edge is acting like a knife and cutting about a 3/4" area into the boot. I only have about a half dozen 3-4 hour trail rides on these boots, so at the rate it's cutting already, I suspect that it prematurely cut a small hole in the top of the ankle long before the rest of the boot is worn out.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Other than this, I love the boots - awesome comfort and protection. But for $300, I don't think that this should be wearing a hole already. It's the exact same case on both the left and right boot.

The plastic edge that meets the leather front of the ankle should be a smooth rounded edge.

I just sent an e-mail to Motonation, but haven't heard back yet.

What has been everyone else's wear experience with the Sidi Force?

Thanks!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Probably could if you took the shin plastic off and spent some time with a fine-toothed file. Seems like an inherent design flaw that could easily be corrected at the source.

I'll post the response I get back from Motonation.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Heard back from Sidi today. They will take a look at the boots as part of a warranty inspection to see what's up with the wear issue. They mentioned that after 2 years of being on the market, they've never had the leather wear through from being cut by the plastic. And there are several pro riders who beat them way more than I ever could.

So, again..... Has anyone else out there (other than Calcaneus) experienced this same wear issue with Sidi Force boots? I'm beginning to think that mine is an isolated incident.

Thanks...

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I have flex force with srs, haven't noticed this problem yet.
BUT, I would REALLY like slightly longer straps for the calves. Even at full out they are still a bit small for me with my knee guards in.

anyone know if some are available????

I would REALLY appreciate any help :-)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Sidi is aware of the problem at least with my boots. I guess they have dozens and dozens of old Force boots from pro riders, and they do not see this wear pattern on the boots they have laying around the office. I know the pro guys are 10x harder on their boots than I am, but do they get a new pair every couple races? :think:

Either way I am going to see if I can get the plastic shin guard off and file a smooth radius along the edge where it meets the top of the leather ankle, and see how it wears next season.

Sidi has a lifetime warranty on their boots, although the term "lifetime" could be a little subjective. If the boots are past their "useable" life, then the warranty would not apply.

They have been very responsive and helpful with this so far, and assured me that if a cut develops further, they'd stand behind the product. I'm just going to make some modifications myself and see how it goes next year. Will post results here.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
As to warranty, etc., I have had extremely good luck with Motonation. They have sent replacelment straps to me (free of charge) twice, including some that were a little longer. In addition, I had a problem with the sole coming away from the boot. After calling them, they said to ship the boots to them and they would repair them asap. They did just that, and even called me the day they sent them back to let me know that I would be receiving them. Great customer service.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Motonation is also carrying a line of hand guards called "Wacker" (appropriately named, wouldn't you say!).

I have been looking for a set of bark busters for my son's XR-70, and the Wacker line comes in mini sizes. I also like the design where the plastic brush guard slides into, around, and on either side of the aluminum bar. Looks like the plastic may be less likely to be snapped off opposed to the EE kind where the plastic is mounted/screwed only from the inside of the bar.

Top Bottom