OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Does anyone else here ski or snowboard? Just kinda curious, snow already starting to fall at the local ski area and I'm getting that extra hop to my walk just thinking about it. Figured there might be other here who get kicks out of going way to fast, hitting trees and falling down mountains...oh and skiing too. If I only were nearly the motorcycle rider that I was a skier then I'd be one happy puppy.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by OldassKDX
If I only were nearly the motorcycle rider that I was a skier then I'd be one happy puppy.
way back in the old days I was fairly good on skis. Taught skiing for 15 years, raced 4 years in college, made it to the divison championships, and coached the high school team for a couple years. Had dreams of Olympics but no money and short on talent in that level:think . Actually you will be surprised which Texan was pretty hot on boards- start guessing now maybe he will enlighten us.
Also there is one of those Austrian KTM riders that was a pro skiracer who is a member here.
Now days I just try to avoid all the 'snowsnakes lurking on the hills around here.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Oldguy, you sound like you outclass me in both worlds here.....I hate you:) Seriously though, skiing is so much cheaper that I've actually been able to get decent equipment and practice a lot more than a motorcycle. (WSU doesn't like two strokes ripping up and down the street....wusses!) the Old KDX would do well to not break in half on a decent sized double jump, then again, I've almost broken in half on skiis too.:eek:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I've been snowboarding for about five yrs. I do ok, that is I haven't broke anything yet.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by OldassKDX
Oldguy, you sound like you outclass me in both worlds here.....I hate you:)
You have never seen me ride:confused: I ride alot better after a few hotdams with the DW crew after I settle into a lawnchair by the fire. I will (and never did) not set the dirtbike world on fire but I have fun trying to survive- BTW woods riders are insane just in case there is anyone I forgot to tell at DW01 (based on my experience in the HS ):scream:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Ya, I snowboard. Cant wait for the season to start. My local hill (Big White) has gotten about 1 foot so far and they say they are opening Nov. 22. Ya right :think Snowboarding is my second love (dirtbiking is obviously #1).
I wanna snowboard sooo badly but I also want the snow to melt so I can go riding. Oh well, gives me time to rebuild my bike :)

R White

Sep 13, 2001
skiing is so much cheaper

OK TELL MY KNEES THAT and my doctor bills

all my wifes & my family live in utah we both ski,have been in NY for 5 years. most of our friends kept saying they were lucky to make it down "blue square" runs and we'd have a hard time keeping up with those who ski "black diamond". Well, last time we went to see the folks, we decided to take note of what runs we were skiing. It never mattered before, but we wanted to keep up if we went with the friends in NY. We have been skiing "double black diamonds" for years. And this with 2 mile runs and 5,000ft vertical drop. The "super skiiers" here, backed out when we brought pics back of us on the runs. It seems 3,000ft total elevation is their max. Moguls? What are they

XRP yup Im morman only cause I couldn't run at 8

in Utah there's only two things to do in winter SKI & SCR*&W
damn all those kids

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I've been snowboarding for five years and have been skiing since I was two (i'm almost sixteen now). I live just a short distance from an awesome ski hill, RED MOUNTAIN!!!!!! We have snow around here, should be up at the hill in another month or month and a half.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
I like skiing as much as I do mx :)
..its just in flatland i dont get to go often...a coupla trips a year to somewhere cool.

Granite

Oct 16, 2001
I've been skiing for 32 years. Bottomless powder (yeah, Alta's got the best goods there) and gnarly steeps (Jackson's got special place in my heart . . kinda like Whistler too) are my favorites (I expect to hear a few Squaw squaks!). I only whish I rode my bike like I ski. I got my first bike 2 months ago. I've ridden it in Silverwood/Arrowhead, Kennedy Meadows, Mammoth/White Mountains, and Northern Baja so far. Riding this bike has given me the closest rush to the feeling I get on skis! :cool:

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I think the reason I look forward to skiing so much is that I really don't get to ride as much as I'd like anymore. I need to go fast on something or I'll go nuts. I'm thinking of a newer MX bike after college, but not now, they don't fit in my apartment quite as well as the planks.:)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I used to ski.:silly:

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
I used to ski too until a co worker got me to try snowboarding. That was the last time I put on a pair of skiis. I have had so much fun since I started snowboarding. I guess that being a former skateboarder has helped me out a lot. It took me a few times down the mountain and a few wipe outs to get the hang of it. I wished that I had tried snowboarding sooner. Two years ago I had the worst injury I have ever had, I pulled my groin. I was at Snowshoe and went off the side of a jump and landed on ice. The people at the resort said it was "hard pack". Needless to say when I landed it felt like I broke my butthole. It took me 5 months to recover fully. Now I'm ready for the season to begin. :cool:

00' KDX 200
Procircuit pipe & silencer
95' XR 250R (first bike)
AMA
GNCC

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
This season will be my 30th on skis. Back in college I worked at Snoqualmie Pass ski area in Washington state. In high school, some friends and I had a small cameo in a Warren Miller film. Unfortunately it wasn't extreme air or anything, we were teaching a couple of girls how to ski. Needless to say it's rather humorous.

I like it steep and deep with an occasional bump or tree run. A broken back and two bum knees have yet to slow me down. There's nothing like carving fresh tracks in virgin powder. ;)

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I have been skiing since 3 yers old and I am 16 now. I ski about 20 days a year and can go on anything. I don't enjoy snowboarding one bit though.
I like it as much, if not more than MX just because I think it is a bit more thrilling.
I have skied quite a bit in VT and alot out west. I have skied at whilstler, snowbasic, snowbird, alta, blackomb, steamboat, aspen, snowmass, highlands, vail, beaver creek, and the canyons.
I love whistler and snowbasin and hated beaver creek. My all time favorite because it is so close, has great terrain, and awesome snow conditions is Okemo VT.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I've been skiing since I was three. I really like it (almost as good as dirtbiking). We don't ski at the 'slopes' here, we go out west. Copper Colorado 2 yrs ago, Deer Valley last year, were going to Deer Valley this year again. This time were staying in the Stien Errikson(sp) if that means anything to you DRN'ers.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
I am from Vail Colorado. I grew up skiing. Funny story, we lived in the same apartment building in Steamboat as Billy Kidd (The first American to win a medal in Olympic skiing). My mom is the one who sewed on those stupid cowboy collars he wore on his ski suits. Anyway, his brother wanted to learn how to ride motorcycles so my dad taught him that in exchange for Billy teaching my and my brother how to ski. In College I switched to snowboarding. It is warmer and less crap to carry. Let me know if anyone wants to come to Vail to ski.

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Almost here !!!

I can't wait for the first few turns . I have been skiing for 35 years and still can't get enough .

Trees ,steeps , powder ,bumps , all of it .
Maybe we will have to have a down hill spode fest .

Granite

Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by Girlrider
Let me know if anyone wants to come to Vail to ski.

:eek: If you're serious . . . . I'm there! Name the time! I have great job flexibility through February. I'd love to ski Vail with a local. My last trip there was fun. But, I think I needed local knowledge for the experience I'd hoped for. Same's pretty much true wherever you go! ;)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by oldguy - BTW woods riders are insane just in case there is anyone I forgot to tell at DW01 (based on my experience in the HS ):scream: [/B]

:think I'd take offense at that but your probably right.:cool:

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Granite,

Send me an E-mail and we can see what we can do. Sometimes I can even get free tickets if it is the right weekend. Can't be during a holiday. You can stay with my husband and I if you have good references.:p

Granite

Oct 16, 2001
Girlrider,

What's your email address? I've got great references . . . . I ski, I eat, I sleep! Oh yeah, I also drink a couple beers with friends after epic days! :cool:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Yup, Dave and I both ski. Since moving out to NY, we went skiing more times last winter than we did the whole time we were in IL. Last April, we decided it was time to trade in the old hand-me-down straight skis and put some new parabolics on lay-away. Earlier this summer, while I was at the shop making a payment on our new skis, I found myself looking forward to snow season! (And slightly ashamed of myself, as well, because it was the middle of dirt bike season. :eek: )

Dave's been skiing since he was a kid, so he skis just about everything. I just skied my first "black" last winter. (Slowly, but I was making turns the whole way down and not in a scared-out-of-my-mind snowplow wedge!) Looking forward to new skis and fun this season. You can't miss us on the slopes-- we're usually wearing our KTM jackets!

My only question is, now that the dirtbike racing season is over, what do I do with my weekends until the snow flies???

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom