Sold bike tonight. Buyer wants title, I have lost it. What to do?

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I sold my KDX220 this evening for cash money and the buyer took the bike tonight without the title. I know it's around somewhere but have run out of places to look. :bang: I made him up a bill of sale including the bikes vin numbers and included my signature as seller and his as buyer. He has to have a title as he intends to ship this bike overseas and says he needs a title to have this done.

What is the easiest way for him or myself to get a replacement title for the bike?

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I purchased the bike new in 2002 from a dealer whom I have a long and good history with. Unsure if I had a certificate of origin or a DMV title. Been so long since I have seen it. I will try calling my dealer on Monday and see what he can tell me. Thanks for the input.

idl1975

Aug 19, 2008
Perk said:
I purchased the bike new in 2002 from a dealer whom I have a long and good history with. Unsure if I had a certificate of origin or a DMV title. Been so long since I have seen it. I will try calling my dealer on Monday and see what he can tell me. Thanks for the input.

When I sold my CBR, Honda USA managed to lose the title document. :bang: I had to retitle it as a result.

Based on my experience (and although I hope to be proved wrong!) your dealer is unlikely to have retained anything on the bike. If you have to retitle, maybe give the buyer a photocopy of the form you're sending in, as the process can take quite a while, depending on how efficient your state is.

It's probably worth getting out your fine-toothed comb and turning the house upside down, as the delay involved is a huge PITA. :( It also sounds like it could seriously piss the buyer off if he's intending to ship it soon. I won't tell you how long mine took, as that might depress you unnecessarily.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
They don't have titles.

Certs of origin are usually confiscated as soon as you get your off road registration and you get squat back in return.

find a local buyer, sounds like a scam.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
G. Gearloose said:
They don't have titles.

You might want to take a look at Virginia law.

Yes said:
Effective July 1, 2006, new all-terrain vehicles or off-road motorcycles powered by a gasoline or diesel engine displacing more than 50 cubic centimeters must be titled. You may request to have a used all-terrain vehicle or off-road motorcycle titled for the purpose of recording a lien, documenting proof of ownership or any other reason. All-terrain vehicles and off-road motorcycles are not required to be registered.

Effective July 1, 2006, new all-terrain vehicles and off-road motorcycles can ONLY be sold by licensed motorcycle dealers.

His was a 2002, so it was Certificate of Origin, unless he went to title it himself after 2006.

A state confiscated Certificate of Origin to register a bike for Off-road use would more or less fit the requirements of his buyer I would think.

Lastly- he/she could really just make the buyer go through the hoops of titling as used bike are not required to have titles.

None the less your words of advice might not be a bad idea. (Keep in mind he is in the middle of military land, and people shipping a bike overseas might not be all that unheard of.)

I went through this different state titling requirements when I sold my trailer. The neighboring state titles trailers. They do not here. I had three Minnesota buyers lined up, but I ended up choosing to sell to someone in my state to save myself the hassle of titling a previously untitled vehicle. Of course, only an option if you can find another buyer.

Last edited:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
When I shipped two mx bikes to and back from England they never asked for any documentation on ownership, just the vins.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
My wife called the dealer and found out the same thing that fatcat found. Off road bikes did not come with titles until June of 2006. Just a certificate of origin. What I had in my wallet was a laminated card from Kawasaki stating me as the owner with the VIN #'s of the bike and motor included on card. I gave that to the new owner. I also made up a pretty detailed bill of sale stating the dealer where I purchased the bike new, both VIN #'s, that he paid X amount for the bike in full and received the bike upon payment. Then at the bottom I included a printed and signed portion with me as the seller and him as the buyer. That should be all that anyone would need to as proof of them being legit owner of the bike.
Can anyone else think of anything else I should include to cover the buyer from a legal standpoint?

Last edited:

kamokidd

Oct 11, 2008
no title

I have bought a 2002 KX 125 from a private seller and he said it was a pro riders bike and indications on the bike say it was so he had no title and i need to get one how do i do this

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Depends on what state you live in, your information says you do not know where you live? The best that I believe you can get is a bill of sale. Then see about getting it registered with the state.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Perk- I think you did all you could. Nice job. Funny the things we find buried in our wallets. Edit- oh- you followed up a month ago! whoops. please disregard.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
Do all dirt bikes have titles? I purchased a dirt bike from a guy in AL and I didn't even think to ask for a title because I didn't even know dirt bikes had them. I thought titles were for vehicles that are ridden on the road?

Top Bottom