spark arrestor for KDX200 from another bikes

live

Jan 30, 2013
What do you think about installing silencer/spark arrestor from another bike onto 1990 KDX200?
I got a KTM SX125 spark arrestor and i would like to try it :)
What possible consequences can it lead to?
As far as i know, spark arrestors don't have any model-specific features in comparison to the specific design of pipes.
Am i wrong? Or should i try that?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The spark arrestor inside is not model specific. As long as it's forestry approved, it would be legal.

Silencer length can influence the usable rpm range, but maybe you will like it better.

The biggest challenge will be mounting points and making sure the silencer does not interfere with the rider or the tire.

Sounds like a fun project and it should save some weight compared to your stock silencer. I say go for it.

live

Jan 30, 2013
dirt bike dave, thanks for the answer.
i'm from Russia, and we have no problems with approval/legalization for now :D
you said that it would influence the rpm range. please explain, how?
i made a weight comparison today. 2.2 kg for the stock, and 1kg for the ktm12sx arrestor. Not the great difference, but the sound may become annoying on long trips for the second one. Moreover, the diameters of pipes are not compatible. so there's need to use some imagination to fit it. So probably it doesn't worth it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
live said:
you said that it would influence the rpm range. please explain, how?

If I recall correctly, a shorter silencer will move the power toward low rpm, and a longer silencer will move the power toward high rpm.

Diameter/total volume of the silencer and the length of the connector between the expansion chamber and the silencer may also have an effect.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom