CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Wow, what a great race. Bostrom pulled a great last lap pass on Belgium’s Eddy Seel to take X-Game gold. McGrath led for the first 5 laps but couldn’t keep up with Bostrom on the paved section taking a bronze medal. BTW, Ben showed some real dirt skill too!

Reed and Windham had took it easy, and I can’t say that I blame them, too much at stake in the outdoor nationals.

Pastrana had a mid-race slide out that had him kicking, and kicking, and kicking his bike. In the end he gave up - probably so he can really hurt himself tonight.

Langston had a nasty get-off (via an endo over a berm) but managed to get back on and finish the race.

The track layout was awesome, the best Supermoto course I’ve seen to date.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I'd like to see it more like 50/50 dirt and pavement.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Bostrom being hailed the best all-around rider in the world...gotta do something about this.

Were Hayden's around? I didn't see the whole thing.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
nephron said:
Were Hayden's around?

That would be exciting. Those boys do it all (road, circle track and dirt) and it would be great to see them enter a race with some of the other big names. Once again, too much at stake with World Superbike and MotoGP.

SuperMoto started last year as a series for, how do I put this...riders who are past their prime. The talent in Saturdays race proved that SuperMoto can survive on its own merits.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
It was bad seeing Henry and the little "VDB" guy go down in the first turn, and then VDB eating it hard later on. I bet Henry coulda put some heat on the leaders. Even though it was the best track I've seen (from a dirt perspective), it seemed a little one-line, not much passing. I thought Seel was gonna hand the gold to McGrath there when his back end started heading toward Bostrom, but he managed to dog 'er down.

With the big names, it was almost like seeing the old SuperBikers again. Even though I don't like him, I wish RC woulda been there.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
Even though I don't like him, I wish RC woulda been there.

You seem to be waffling on this lately Pred. ;)

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
What a great race. I never knew Bostrom could ride so well in the dirt. And Langston...well errr.. KTM sure got thier money out of him this year. Talk about a guy that let fame and fortune ruin him..

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
kelsorat said:
What a great race. I never knew Bostrom could ride so well in the dirt. And Langston...well errr.. KTM sure got thier money out of him this year. Talk about a guy that let fame and fortune ruin him..

Both of the Bostrom brothers cut their teeth in dirt track.

From an interview with Bostrom :

"In the beginning we honed our skills at Lodi Cycle Bowl in northern California. A small quarter mile oval where many famous racers began their career. Names such as Roberts, Chandler, Rainey, Lawson, Carr, and so on."

...Ben earned AMA Dirt Track Rookie of the Year title in 1993

Looks like that early dirt training really paid off. :worship:

buckeyebilly

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2003
I agree that yesterday's race was very special to watch. I thought Seel's lone Husky looked very trick and it was interesting to see they stuck with the #100 to celebrate their "100th Anniversary" just like their stock 450s have on the numberplates. Was Travis Pastrana riding a RMZ450??? I couldn't get a great look at the bike and doubt it would have been a DRZ! Final thought/question.... what kind of surface did they have on the wooden ramp going out of the stadium? I am assuming it is similiar to the surface used in spray in truck bed liners? If it was more of a tracklike surface I can see it where it might "clean" some of the dirt off their tires before hitting some of the hairpins on the pavement. :cool:

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I think Travis was on a DRZ400

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001

...then great call, Suzuki, for the fine bike intro--send it out as a Motard bike, ridden by a reckless TP who wasn't sure he was going to race until a few hours prior....superbly done.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
nephron said:
...then great call, Suzuki, for the fine bike intro--send it out as a Motard bike, .

Don't know if it really matters but it was a Yoshimura prep'ed 450, was doing pretty good till he low sided or something and couldn't get it started.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Brilliant racing! The track was amazing...but not for the faint of heart ;) I figured Bostrom for the win. Both the Bostrom brothers are amazing dirt riders, dirttrack, MX, desert, trails, you name it. That coupled with the significant pavement sections made him a favourite I figured. Hope he can turn the same determination back to his roadracing career.

It would have really been interesting had the Hayden brothers been able to attend, but the timing of the event, mid season for them, would be far too risky. I'm sure it would have shook up the results ;)

Seel was a true pleasure to watch...smooth. McGrath never fails to amaze, as he held his own very well I thought.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Hey, there's a good chance I lied, I heard rumors they went with a DRZ instead

buckeyebilly

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2003
I finally saw something that said TP will race all Supermotos in 2004 on a Cernic's Suzuki DRZ400 and switch over to the RMZ450 in 2005! :cool:

dante

Mar 24, 2004
That one turn into the dirt from the street were the riders rear tire would slide on the concrete curb loosing some grip and then get more traction as would slide back onto the pavement caused some problems... After recovering from almost high sideing going straight into the dirt!!! that was crazy... That's were Travis crashed I think and Ben Bostrom almost high sided as well going up over the hay bail... Then the big sweeping turn into the doubles or triple/single if your Mcgrath you could see the pavement starting to show just like in some of those flat track events... Ben was really on the gas through there... I can't remember what they call that condition in flat track right now...
Also If Nickey Haden was there it would have been quite a battle for sure... Nickey drages his knee elbows up and sideways! Amazing...

buckeyebilly

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2003
Then the big sweeping turn into the doubles or triple/single if your Mcgrath you could see the pavement starting to show just like in some of those flat track events... Ben was really on the gas through there... I can't remember what they call that condition in flat track right now...

I don't think that was actually the pavement starting to show but a layer of rubber that rubs off onto the hardpacked dirt after so many laps/riders abusing the same line. This is sometimes called the "blue groove" in flat track racing! I also believe that stadium is used for primarily for MLS Soccer (team = LA Galaxy?) so it probably had an artificial or semi-synthetic turf underneath all that dirt! :ride: :cool:

Top Bottom