TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
Yes, I did some searches and got some questions answered, but I've got another...

Is the front sprocket supposed to be symmetrical? Mine seems to have a deeper pocket against the drive side of the teeth. Is this wear, or are they supposed to be that way?

My chain has some tight links and is pretty gunked up. I'm going to clean and lube it and see how it fares. Not sure how to tell exactly how much the rear sprocket is worn, mostly because I've got nothing to compare it to.

I bought the bike used not too long ago (couple months) and I'm thinking of just kicking down for a sprocket/chain set. One more question...alloy or steel rear sprocket?

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
A lot can be told by your chain stretch and how pointy your sprocket teeth are. The chain should not stretch beyond the adjusters (if proper chain length is used to start with). If it does, it should be replaced. Don't pull links to get 'more' out of your chain, unless you are willing to deal with a broken chain on the trail.

The sprocket teeth should be symetrical, the less symetrical they are, the more they are worn, the pointier they are, the more they are worn. You will notice the teeth wearing in the direction the chain pulls on it. I guess realisticly you can use the sprocket until the chain begins to slip on it. It degrades very quickly from there. But, you will never get that chance if you use proper chain tension and replace both the chain and sprockets at the same time, as you should. The sprocket will usualy show considerable wear, but will not be slipping the chain by the time the chain is ready to be replaced.

I suggest going with steel all the way. Unless you race. The steel is heavier (unsprung) weight, which 'may' make a difference in a timed event, but it is considerably more durable.

That all being said, I have 'milked' the bageebus out of sprockets and chains when I didn't have the cash for new ones, but that didn't surpress my desire to ride. Eventually you have to play the clutch reeeaaaaalll gentle.... lol... I don't suggest this though. I was being foolish (read young) and I really could afford to walk home if it broke. (that and it might take other parts with it when/if it goes)

Good luck

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
People just love steel sprockets and o-ring chains. And who wouldn't love ZERO drive train maintenance?
Problem is...there is no such animal as ZERO drive chain maintenance. Lots of riders are really proud of running race fuel, $185 graphics, $200 bars, umteen hundreds of dollars worth of questionable modifications, pristine filter care, fancy clutches, and on and on....yet they could care less about what puts it all to the wheel.

If you really don't care about anything but riding...and will throw your bike in the barn muddy and wet, only to see it next time you ride..then keep neglegting your chain and sprockets. Proper bike care is NOT for you.

But...if you do think that all aspects of maintenance is part of your regimine...then try to use the same care for your drive train as you would for your fancy graphics.
The chain that is being described above is trash. It has kinks in it from contamination and water getting past the rings. This contamination has more than likely oxidized the inside friction areas of the chain pins and bushings. The chain is growing from wear with each revolution, and will not stop until it is either removed from the bike, or it has worn the sprockets to clean nubs, or breaks.
Keep in mind that it only takes ONE link to be fouled/kinked up to screw up a whole drive system.

The worn chain is what caused the wear on the sprocket. Nothing else.
Don't worry about that sprocket wearing your chain out...the chain has taken care of wearing both itself and the sprockets out.

Learing how to properly measure your chain is the first step in keeping this damage from happening. It's a wear issue...and just like your cylinder and piston, wear occurs with use. Checking compression for the motor is a guage of where your top-end is...the same as measuring links of your chain keeps you up on where your drive train stands.
Manuals vary on recommendations of when to change your chain out, but rule of thumb is that when a chain approaches 2% of elongation from what it was at new, then it can and WILL start to wear your sprocket teeth...steel or not!
On a ring chain...even if you measure properly and show that it is well within tolerance..the kinked up links that you find will wear out your sprockets as well.

Steel rear sprockets only mask the problem, as they won't show the wear as fast as an aluminum will. They will fool you into thinking things are just fine...until the day your chain snaps because you don't measure it or lube/clean/adjust it properly.

At that point you will be like thousands of others in saying: "My sprockets ROCK but my chains suck"

Don't get me wrong, steel sprockets are fine to use...depending on your type of riding...but don't be fooled into thinking that an aluminum won't hold up. it WILL hold up just fine on ANY dirtbike, IF the chain is kept within specification and things are adjusted/cleaned/lubed properly.

You'll get arguments all day long on this issue...and most of it will be argued on nothing more than anecdotal data (personal experiences). But always remember that some folks have phenominal luck with their drive. They always have good looking chains and sprockets and their stuff lasts and lasts...
There has to be a reason for why some have crap luck and others have great luck...
The reason is that there is NO LUCK. It all depends on how you choose to maintain your system.

Depending on hard sprockets and zero maintenance chains does nothing but make a fool out of a rider.

Like I said though....if you ride it hard and put it up wet...disreguard all the above.. proper maintenance is way too much for you to handle.

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
Wow, too much coffee this morning Jaybird? :laugh: Just kidding....

I'm very much a rookie at this and I'm just learning the ropes of dirtbike maintenance. Thanks to all for the advice, I do believe I'll just buy new sprockets and chain so I'll know where I stand.

Top Bottom