DaveU

Oct 23, 2002
'02' RM 125
steering has gotten stiff/tight, tried loosening, but not much help figure the bearings worn? pretty straight forward replacement? or am I going to run into trouble, and need to have the shop do it?
Just an upper and lower bearing? race should be ok?
Thanks for the input....

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I also recommend going threw a bearing warehouse you'll save cash vs the dealer. I good bearing warehouse should be able to get you the bearings and the races.

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
It's a job you can do by yourself. Tough part is getting the bottom bearing off the steering stem because it's pressed on. I took my bottom clamp and step to a machine shop and they pressed the old bearing off and the new bearing on, and I think they charged me $5.

The other tough part is getting the races out of the frame tube. Take an old flat head screw driver and slightly bend the tip. This will allow you to get the screw driver on the edge of the steering stem bearings and bang them out.

Get a brass punch to tap the new races back in, so you don't nick up the frame tube and races. It takes patience, but it's fairly simple to do.

It goes without saying, but be sure to pack the new bearings with grease !!

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I'm not sure about your bike, but I was unable to get bearings for my Honda from any bearing shop. They are a proprietary size.
You can get excellent replacement sets from Pivot Works.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom