Stolen bike halts woman’s charity effort

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
This story is from my little local newspaper.

BOYERTOWN -- Tammy Longacre was a single mother of two when she decided to take up the sport of motocross three years ago.

She had no motorcycle experience, but something about the sport drew her in. She even won her first race.

"I finished first in the women’s class," Longacre said.

Of course, in the competitive, high-speed world of dirt track motocross racing, there are few girls.

"I was the only one," she said.

Most racers vie for sponsorship. Motocross is expensive and sponsors help foot the bill. For the best of the best, it’s a profitable, albeit dangerous, endeavor. For everyone else, it’s just dangerous.

Longacre bought her own used bike from a friend, which she taught herself to repair. She paid for everything herself, including the $40 entrance fees.

Some races pay the winners, but not all do. And sometimes first place only takes $35.

"I’m out there to have fun," Longacre said.

Fun is relative. Longacre has been knocked unconscious and suffered a knee injury in crashes, but she still loves the sport.

That’s why the 25-year-old, now married with four children, decided to race for charity. Donations she collects at events, plus any money she wins, goes to Victory Junction, an organization established to help children living with chronic or life-threatening illnesses.

So when Longacre woke up Tuesday and found her motorcycle had been stolen, she didn’t just feel bad for herself.

"Now I can’t race," she said. "I don’t know what I’m going to do."

Longacre hopes the specially modified racing bike, valued at $15,000, is recovered. It was stolen out of her locked trailer sometime after midnight Monday.

Police are investigating the theft, and Longacre is putting fliers up all over town. The bike is plastered with decals for the charity and easily distinguishable from bikes bought from a dealership.

Anyone with information is urged to contact police at 610-367-2688.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
$15,000? it must have one of those new hightech power bands, and if I had one of those I wouldn't get insurance either. It sounds like a scam to me. Start a charity and race for that charity, would all your expenses are tax deductible?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
$15,000. and it was a used bike she bought from a friend??
Surely more was taken than just the bike, at any rate I feel sorry for her loss.

tjlongacre

Nov 16, 2004
the rider in question

well thanks for doubting me i appreciate it, as a follow up, we ran this year, took 2 championships as well as 5th in the men's class. We also ranked 25th in the national standings. not bad for running a limited schedule. Any way the bike we had, was valued high, but the paper typoed the value. Any how seems that the are we live in really stinks, because we purchased our new bike in October and this past weekend someone stole it again. This really sucks, but if you would like to know about who we are and what we do, then visit our website since i can't post it, just do web search under Against All Odds Motocross.
Sorry that once again everyone feels they need to bash women, but then again after 4 years i am used to it. But i am asking now that please learn about us, see what we do, and then judge. We work hard to help others and participated in many community fundraisers as well. We like to race, but we love being able to use our talents to help others. Unfortunately it seems someone is trying way to hard to stop us, and it really stinks. Though an alarm system and steel cables used for streetbikes were good enough, everyone else did too, unfortunately no one wants to work for anything anymore, and we have fallen victim again.

tjlongacre

Nov 16, 2004
And one other thing before i forget, women have different rules to become pro, i am considered A level in women's class, and B level for men, but i still run with the WMA which is our national, pro/am series for ladies.

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Tammy, I don't believe anyone was bashing you because you're a woman. To the contrary DRN members seem to be very supportive of the female riders who've posted here. I'm sure you've had your share of detractors and can understand your defensiveness.

I did visit your site and you certainly seem legit. You have an incredible story and I applaud your efforts to aid those less fortunate. Perhaps you'll forgive those of us who doubted your story (I was one too) and allow us to learn a bit more about you so that we may come to a more informed opinion.

Here's hoping that your bikes are recovered and the goons responsible are apprehended. Good luck and good health to you and yours.

tjlongacre

Nov 16, 2004
Sorry for being so defensive, i get trashed all the time, to the point at a riding place a group of guys stopped me on the track and said do you know u r a girl??? Just so frustrating. And our District, well don't get me started, not much better there either. Really hard to be a female racer in a man's sport, and just hurts alot. I can honestly say i am completey devasted over what happened again, this is a nightmare. This time thank God they found some evidence to try and help recover the bike, so we need all the prayers we can get.
And again so sorry for being defensive, just tired of how i get treated, one guy took it to the point that on the track he rammed me at full speed, least that is what i am told, i don't remember anything, and i am in physical therapy trying to get the shoulder to heal. Just stinks sometimes, wish more people were open minded.
By the way if you can link the site i would appreciate it, i can't figure out how to do it
thanks
tammy

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Not a problem Tammy, you have nothing to apologize for. You're human just like the rest of us. I'd think with all of your trials and tribulations you're entitled.

I'm really sorry this has happened to you. Success has a way of breeding contempt. Seems someone isn't very secure in their manhood either. Just do your thing, ride safely, and blow off the jerks.

Your link....
Against All Odds Motocross

Best wishes Tammy...

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Jeff Gilbert said:
$15,000. and it was a used bike she bought from a friend??
Surely more was taken than just the bike, at any rate I feel sorry for her loss.
I didn't read anywhere anything less than sympathy for your loss(es), only the outragious value of a used bike. I think most anyone could pick up a "fully modified" used bike for change compared to the 15k listed in the 1st post and that's the reason you may have picked out the ??? in the posts. I don't doubt for one minute that you may have tallied up 15k in the process, if I counted all the bikes, parts, gear, etc., I could probably have already paid for my house instead. To start over brand new, including gear, what would you expect a reasonable replacement cost would be?. Just out of curiosity, what was the make, model & mods of the 1st bike stolen?

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
HOLY CRAP!!! dklink2000, i just read ur post that u did in march and i actually read that article in the paper! i didnt think anyone on drn was from around here!
It stinks for her though, bummer.

I live in Oley. Where are u at?

Brad

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
ok....... This post smells like fish poop to me...sorry but it does. Watch out for the " need a donation bike or money" post soon....Jeff.

tjlongacre

Nov 16, 2004
The first one was a 95 Suzuki RM125, with everything imaginable done to it, including lowering, cause i am short. between the gear and the bike and parts and everything i know what you mean, i could be owning a nice little rancher. The one they just took is a 2002 Suzuki RM125 fully loaded and lowered again. Just makes no sense where we live no one messes with any one elses stuff, and we have had 2 bikes taken, really hurts a lot and i really feel so uncomfortable here now.
Money values mean nothing to me in all honesty, when i am on the track it is the bike and me. Makes it hard for the hubby to understand, but it is just me being a dork, i rely on my skills to keep the bike up, and i rely on the bike to function right. The bikes have a value that can't be replace with any amount of money. I have been through a lot, from wins, to bad wrecks to fun shows and first times for doing stuff, like doubling.
So in all honesty, to put a value on it, i couldn't begin to try. The value is the joy i saw when the kids sat on it at shows, the smiles and giggles that my littles made when they helped me work on the bike or the thank you notes we get from those we have helped, none of that can be replaced. Bike are physical, and can be replaced and i am thankful that when they were taken that no one was hurt in our family and that the thieves didn't come into our home. But heartbreaks are hard to get over sometimes, like the heartbreak on my 13 year old's face when he woke us up to tell us the new bike was gone. Last time i went through hell, this time i think it feels even worse. I just hope they catch the people that have done this and that all works out well, but only time will tell.

tjlongacre

Nov 16, 2004
sodflyer said:
ok....... This post smells like fish poop to me...sorry but it does. Watch out for the " kneed a donation bike or money" post soon....Jeff.
Sorry you feel that way, but that isn't me, i work for what i have. Sometimes in life you have to realize that not everyone is in it for money or free stuff, that we are actually doing things for others. The replacement bike, if need be, is already taken care of and we already have enough to cover one. My thoughts are that our bike is returned and we can get it running and showable in time for an upcoming show in January. I honestly don't want a replacement, I want what I am used to, and that is my bike. Sorry you feel people are like that, but that just isn't me.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
sodflyer said:
ok....... This post smells like fish poop to me...sorry but it does. Watch out for the " need a donation bike or money" post soon....Jeff.
Nah Sod, she’s going through a hard time, TWICE! She’s not here to ask for anything or she would have done it already. Her 1st bike was stolen more than 8 months ago & not once did she ask for help. The comments made were not directed at her, it was about the value placed on her loss which was reported by the newspaper article. I have been ripped off more than once in my life and I promise I put max $ value on my stuff too. The thing that pisses me off is that people take other peoples stuff instead of putting forth the effort to earn what they take. A few years ago I bought T-Shirts to merchandise for my band, paid for them out of my own pocket. We were playing at a “secure” hotel club, the doors locked at night so no one could enter after club ours. We always made it a habit to pull mics, loose effex and of coarse our instruments (drummer takes cymbals) and take them to the hotel room after the show, even though we were playing multiple nights there. The T-Shirts were in a big gray tub, one of many we carried. We placed the T-Shirt tub beneath several other tubs in the back corner of the stage and covered them up before we left that night. No one could have known what was in those tubs without moving them, and going through each one. The next morning when we got to the club (before they opened) to practice, the shirts were gone. Now who in their right mind would want 75 ash colored shirts exactly the same? Someone did! I hope they got some good use of them because it cost me over $900.

Back to Tammy. I know what it’s like to have your stuff taken, had all sorts of music gear taken over the years, the biggest loss was in my driveway. I also believe that what comes around, goes around, who ever took your stuff will get what they deserve. Best of luck to ya. You should talk to Nikki on this board, she had everything they own taken from their trailer in their backyard one night. Plus she’s a woman racer. Plenty of you women dirtbikers on here including my daughter. There are also a few of the law enforcement type on here too, just ask around.

tjlongacre

Nov 16, 2004
Wow thank you, our area, woman riders are few and far between. The one good thing is this time the police are doing things to track the thieves down, our trailer was taken into police custody at an undisclosed location, they are dusting it from front to back, and taking the foot prints from it also that the thieves left behind. It just stinks and the odds of it being random twice in that amount of time, well that is really fishy to me, and we have some personal beliefs. How do i find certain users, i only have the free membership. Thank you i appreciate your kind words, and sorry to hear of your loss, it makes no sense to me why people do things like this. I was brought up in a town that everyone knew everyone and doors were always open and unlocked, even when you went away. I got married moved here and nothing but chaos. Really makes me wonder what has happened.
Thank you again
Tammy

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
You're welcome.
I would post a new thread in the General Forum (this one) and simple state " Bike Stolen in PA., be on the look out" or something like that
Another place to post is in the TeamDRN Local Chapters / Riding Clubs forum for your area. The ones that can help will find it.
Good luck.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Tammy, forgive the fools who are bashing you. It's only human nature to only get some of the facts and then immediately rush to judgement. They do not know they are ignorant. I totally believe you. I absolutely loathe thieves. Somebody broke into my wifes car a couple years ago and stole her stereo system. To top it off, they bashed windows out, and took a knife to the dashboard and leather in her Cadillac. I only had liability and had to fix it myself and pay for it myself. Two months later, they did the same thing to my Trans Am, only they got caught. I got my stuff back but no help with the damage. I filed restitution when they went to court, but I have to wait for them to get out of jail and get a job to pay me back. Not likely. One of my co-workers just had his house broke into. They got a big moving truck, backed it up to the house, and took everything. The neighbors just thought they were moving. When I say they took everything, I mean EVERYTHING. The fridge, oven, beds, couches, etc. Unbeliveable. You should move down here to Oklahoma. We like female dirt bikers in these parts! I see some on the weekends. Nothing is hotter than a woman zipping around on a dirt bike! I've been trying to get my wife into it. I think my bike is way too much for her to handle though. Next time somebody stops you and asks if you know you're a girl, give them a face full of roost! The men out there who think that girls can't do everything that a man can, are ignorant fools. Matt

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
When I raced in the 70's there was a girl that we competed with. She was fast and hot. She past me more time than I'd like to count :ohmy: I have tons of respect for anyone that races, especially women.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
RM_guy said:
When I raced in the 70's there was a girl that we competed with. She was fast and hot. She past me more time than I'd like to count :ohmy: I have tons of respect for anyone that races, especially women.

There's Dave...trolling for phone numbers again :)

Top Bottom