norcalcrf

Oct 15, 2002
Has anyone in CA converted their WR to street legal? What kit did you use, Baja Designs? Did you use the D.O.T. approved light kit or did you use the stock head and tail light?Tires, Pirelli MT21?How much of a hassle was it at the DMV? What did that cost? Thanks in advance!

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I have converted my WR250F.

Rule #1, to do so in CA your 8th digit of your vin cannot be a "C" or a "3". All newer WR's in CA are red sticker only and have the C or 3. I bought mine from Canada and had it shipped to me. I checked the VIN before purchaseing it. If you have a green sticker fo some reason you might be good to go.

For your other quesions, the DMV is always a hassle. I used the Baja Designs kit. , For the light inspection I did not use the DOT headlight or tailight just the stockers. 2 big hang ups are, you must have the blue high beam indicator light and the license plate lamp. Cost was $300.00

I would've liked to use the Dakar kit. It looks like a great item but it costs more, around $500.00

I do not have DOT tires. I run Michlen S12-Front & M12 rear. It wasn't an issue.

Good luck.

norcalcrf

Oct 15, 2002
I just spoke with Baja and they said no way in CA. They did however say that if I went out of state I could register it there and say it is a borrowed bike if I get pulled over I am just not sure I want to deal with that. I bought my bike in CA so I'm sure I have the C or 3.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I just get a brake light inspection certification from one of my local m/c shops.
That is the only inspection I needed to pass.
Then I went to DMV and applied for a dual registration.
I had to fill out a form 883 which I personally certify that the mc meets all applicable codes and poof I got a plate.
This was on a 94 husky 610, and a 96 husaberg 501.
This was pre red sticker days but it might be still worth a try.
If you have a bro' at a cycle shop just get a back door brake light inspection cert and try the dual registration thing. (Tell 'em Rich sent ya')
It won't cost a penny to try and reg it.
This was a couple years ago though so I am not sure it still goes like this.
Where there is a will there is a way.
Baja Designs has to say no way, what if some dmv inspector called them and set them up?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
On the out of sate thing.

1) Vermont will give you a plate, just mail in your check with an application. Then once plated I've heard of people converting to a CA plate.

2) I've got buddies with bikes reg. in AZ. that live and ride here due to this exact reason.

3) Sell yours and buy one from Canada. Mine cost $4500 including shipping due to the good Dollar exchange rate. New 03 CRF450's can be had for $5,000. :thumb:

PM/ email me if your interested in this route I've got a few contacts and helpful hints.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Re #1 I think Vermont has a cc minimum. Somewhere around 350cc minimum

Re #3 good idea

norcalcrf

Oct 15, 2002
Thank you all for the help and useful ideas. I may check into the Vermont idea as someone else mentioned that also. Problem with selling the bike is I paid waaay to much for it(won't mention specifics) and can't sell it for anything close to my price so I thought I would keep it for a dual sport until I started looking into it. I may just try to trade someone for a liscensed XR. Thanks again!!

Top Bottom