Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
While changing the oil on my 125sx, I apparently tightened the drain plug, on the clutch side, too tight and stripped out the aluminum threads from the case.
I hoped there were some threads left and I tried using teflon tape around the plug. No go.
Anything anyone can suggest short of redrilling and tapping the hole? :(

Last edited:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Heli-coil

It will have to be drilled and tapped, but you can use a Heli-coil kit to reduce the size back to OEM thread, so you can use tha OEM plug. Use a shop-vac along with the drilling and tapping to minimize shavings into the crankcase. You will need to flush crankcase afterwards.

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Are you referring to the oil level bolt or drain plug? (My 380 drain is on the left side) THe level check bolt strips very easily. I heard you can run a longer bolt as the hole is threaded in pretty far. I do not use the checker bolt because of the stripping problem. I just add 800 ml of oil and forget it 'till the next change (only a few riding hours away).

Have a great day.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
"Are you referring to the oil level bolt or drain plug? (My 380 drain is on the left side)

The 125 case has two drains..main w/magnet on the left side, and another on the right side below the check hole. The 380 doesn't have the second drain. I can't figure out why the extra drain...it's a smaller bolt than the main, doesn't have a magnet, and I get no more oil out of it after draining from the main. I figured a hidden sump or something the main couldn't empty..but I don't see it.
Anywho...I won't be using that drain again, once I've get it redrilled.
Thanks for the help, y'all.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom