stripped shroud nuts...how to remove?!

cash_62

May 13, 2009
The right radiator shroud on my kdx200 won't come off. Someone apparently overtightened the two screws that go into the nuts molded into the gas tank. When I try to turn each screw counter-clockwise, I can feel the whole nut/screw resist in the plastic mold and then loosen as it falls back into 90 degrees...make sense?
I really don't want to ruin the shroud to remove it, and am pretty sure I can put some epoxy around the nuts to re-seat them once I have the shroud off.
My question is, has anyone had this happen to them? Does anyone have any tips on removing it without cutting/destroying anything?

Apr 8, 2009
cash_62 said:
The right radiator shroud on my kdx200 won't come off. Someone apparently overtightened the two screws that go into the nuts molded into the gas tank. When I try to turn each screw counter-clockwise, I can feel the whole nut/screw resist in the plastic mold and then loosen as it falls back into 90 degrees...make sense?
I really don't want to ruin the shroud to remove it, and am pretty sure I can put some epoxy around the nuts to re-seat them once I have the shroud off.
My question is, has anyone had this happen to them? Does anyone have any tips on removing it without cutting/destroying anything?

I have fixed this problem on two bikes now.What you need to do is put a socket and extension into you drill.Spin the bolts really fast until the plastic starts melting,as youre using the drill gently pull on it to get the bolt and insert out.Dont worry it wont leave a hole,when you get the bolt and insert out clean all the loose plastic out of the hole and off the insert.I always use a quick setting construction adhesive that sets up fast and hard.Test fit the insert put glue in hole and re install insert.Make sure you use a short bolt and add some anti seize.

Last edited:

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I decided a long time ago that my right shroud is now a permanent part of my tank. When it needs to come off, the whole tank comes off ... Problem solved. Dave

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
canuckhybrid125 said:
I have fixed this problem on two bikes now.What you need to do is get the chuck of a drill on the bolt tighten it as best as you can.Spin the bolts really fast until the plastic starts melting,as youre using the drill gently pull on it to get the bolt and insert out.Dont worry it wont leave a hole,when you get the bolt and insert out clean all the loose plastic out of the hole and off the insert.I always use a quick setting construction adhesive that sets up fast and hard.Test fit the insert put glue in hole and re install insert.Make sure you use a short bolt and add some anti seize.

That's a good idea. I would have never thought of that way.

cash_62

May 13, 2009
Great idea, CH!
As far as the right shroud being a permanent fixture, it's difficult to get the bolt in and out that mounts the tank to the frame on that side with the shroud in place, otherwise, I'd totally agree with you Dave!

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Hey Cash62 - Off topic here ... I was visiting my brother in law in so. cal. He let me ride his 300mxc for the day. Won't trade my KDX, but the MXC was nice ride. Dave

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Anti seize and watch the torque! Anytime you have 2 different metals, seizure is inevitable(electrolysis), if left for a while without total dismantle on a regular basis. Canucks tip is the only method I know of with out scrapping something. There are all kinds of inserts, and I like the marine epoxy for resetting inserts. Brass is the most neutral metal that I know of, who wants to use brass on a dirt bike though? And leaving the spun ones in, I believe adds to the odd vibrations. Over torquing is a major contributor to vibrations. Match the insert metal with the bolt/screw metal if you can. And, watch the bolts/screws are not too long, or you will have holes through your tank!

cash_62

May 13, 2009
domino dave said:
Hey Cash62 - Off topic here ... I was visiting my brother in law in so. cal. He let me ride his 300mxc for the day. Won't trade my KDX, but the MXC was nice ride. Dave

yeah, it's a Hoss, and FAST too. It honestly borders on too much bike for me, as it's just too much of a race bike for practical woods usage (front wheel wants to catch air any time I give it gas!). However, it's tons of fun on the track.
I honestly never really liked Kawasaki. I think it stemmed from me taking one ride on a brand-new Kawi wave runner and it catching fire underneath me. However, I've quickly fallen in love with my KDX...fantastic little bike! I'm in the process of giving it a complete facelift/dual-sport and will post pics when I'm done.

jrnolan

Sep 14, 2009
fixed it!

canuckhybrid125 said:
I have fixed this problem on two bikes now.What you need to do is get the chuck of a drill on the bolt tighten it as best as you can.Spin the bolts really fast until the plastic starts melting,as youre using the drill gently pull on it to get the bolt and insert out.Dont worry it wont leave a hole,when you get the bolt and insert out clean all the loose plastic out of the hole and off the insert.I always use a quick setting construction adhesive that sets up fast and hard.Test fit the insert put glue in hole and re install insert.Make sure you use a short bolt and add some anti seize.

This flat out works, thanks!

Winkel

Oct 17, 2009
It's funny that someone mentioned here that it's hard to get the tank bolts in and out with the shroud in place. When my son and I completed the new top end in his bike last night, I looked in our parts pan and noticed two lonely bolts left. After some searching, we noticed we'd left the tank bolts out. He got the left one in without removing the shroud, but the right hand one seemed tougher to get to. For the sake of time and frustration (it was midnight) we removed the shroud.
Nope, not a good idea to have parts left over...

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
cash_62 said:
I honestly never really liked Kawasaki. I think it stemmed from me taking one ride on a brand-new Kawi wave runner and it catching fire underneath me. .
Cash, you may have been blaming Kawasaki all this time unfairly.
That Waverunner that caught fire beneath you wasn't made by Kawasaki....it was made by Yamaha. :yikes:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom