Suspension problems???>way to soft

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
As you probably know, the 1996 Honda CR250 has really soft suspension. It is all stock>suspension that is.I'm 6' and 160lbs with gear on. Anyways the suspension works excellent for Cross-country and Hare scrambles, but now i got the clickers maxxed out to the stiff, and I'm totally bottoming out doing a little jumping. My fenders are full of rubber, and are turing a liter color because they've been hit so many times. Whats my best bet to do, so that i can have all around suspension for a little MX, a little fmx, and alot of Cross-country. I'm tring to keep cost down here, so can anyone help me. If i put stiffer fork srings in the front, will they be to stiff for Cross-country type riding. I like my suspension fairley soft for everything i do. I just dont like my friggen tires hitting the fenders all the time.
Thanks for any info.:cool:

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Add Oil

I had the same problem with my XR400. I am at 200lbs but wanted both MX and trail type suspension. I installed stiffer springs but still bottomed out on the jumps.

I added 5 or 10cc at a time of fork oil and felt a difference with each change. After the second addition it worked great. On my bike I was able to add the fluid right in the air bleed hole. I used a small syringe (like the kind to measure kids medicine).

Super easy fix. I wonder if I would have been able to get the same results without the springs?

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Okay, I added 10cc of fork oil to each side through the air bleeder hole last night. I is a lot better now>i mean huge difference. So Iwent riding today and they worked great, but now my right fork seal is leaking a tiny bit:( . Adding 10cc of oil to each side , couldn't of caused this could it? . Thanks for the info simimi, it was an easy fix cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Cr125,
You may want to check on what the stock weight and volume of your forks are. One needs to change oil periodically anyhoo so you should know this info. You can also tune by changing the weight of the oil. I'm no expert by no means, but I too have been experimenting using the same procedure with great results. If you find that the added 10cc's take your height too close to top, you may want to back off volume and go to a higher weight oil.<shrug>
Your old oil may be full of particulate if you've never changed it.

Top Bottom