bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
So, after the whole MXDN fiasco it sounded like for some strange reason Comp park managed to reopen for practise and i became quite optimisitic for the future. To my knowledge, there were people riding earlier this week. I called and got the recorded message and everything sounded OK, but when i called Starwest to double check, i heard the news that it has been permenantly closed.

I am i bit depressed about this whole thing, whatever opinions people have it was a great place to ride that is now gone It had the potential to be one of the best facilities around. I do feel for the guys that tried their best and after all this (Jim had a funny health turn also, probably from the stress) i very much doubt they will relocate or open another track.

I need a new place to hang out on saturdays, but it looks like i will be doing at least a 4hr round trip to get to ride in the near future.

I am going home to sulk, and stamp my feet and throw a general tantrum! and then sulk some more followed by.........

over and out

Bruce

ps. i wont see you at the track this weekend :whiner: :(

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
Hey Bruce:
That's definitely a bummer. Don't forget about El Cajon. Weekends there aren't too crowded especially when Barona is open. Plus, if you like Carlsbad, it looks like they'll have Saturday practice or races twice a month plus the Wednesday practices.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
just read this from Comp Jim on proride

First, let me thank you all for your thoughts and comments.....they did help a lot...all the emails and calls, although I'm not really in the physical shape or mental state to get back to everyone.........I do thank you all for your support..........Second, I'm so very sorry that the Motocross Des Nations did not go off............now, as you might all realize, at this time I can say nothing about the why's and wherefor's.......however, You WILL see, over the coming weeks and months, the story unfold.....quite a story at that, but I just can't discuss it now..............................

I plan on returning all the money that was spent on our behalf by all of you and people everywhere......the "CUP" is taking tickets today for partial recovery, as is the "OPEN" in Vegas.............we are very appreciative that they have decided to do so............although a completely seperate corporation,we will be honoring MXDN tickets for entry to Starwest......and our plan is to wipe the slate clean.......again, I cannot comment on the details of this right now, nor the timing...................................

Starwest is now open 7 days a week from 9am till 10 pm.................we close for 2 weeks in the month of October (check the Starwest website, or call the park (909-943-4535)..........during this period, we will be redoing the facility.........and completely rennovating the track......we have a new design that I think will be very popular, and the place will be fixed up and freshened.............we'll have a grand opening to be announced soon............

As for the Comp.......right now, I have decided to close the Comp (for now).....however, the race WOULD have gone off...........The people overseas decided to stop.......not us,............... we got word while we were finishing the landscaping.........the Park was open (for construction) and alive and well ......the locks on the gates were ours.......as you'll remember, I announced we'd close the 16th to finish up the facility.....the entry gate was locked.....we had our contractors coming in the exit gate...................the GE Modular buildings actually came in the park the day the race was called off from overseas............ from then on it was a moot point........much more to follow later....but, again, as I'm sure you can appreciate, I can't say much more....................not yet.................

As I said before, I know what a huge dissappointment this was for everyone........I've taken a few shots before in my life.......a couple even much larger than this..........I'm just dustin' off right now..........and this is only round one of a fifteen rounder........................................................Jim

sweetdevil

Oct 23, 2002
I'm in Palm Springs area... The comp park by Soboba was closed, but there's some lame excuse for a track right off the 79... but there are some ok areas to ride right around there... Is the next closest track Elsinore?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Bruce:

A track similar to the new/closed Comp is VMC - it has a sandy loam type of dirt and is kept well groomed. There are a few easy jumps, a 75 foot double (which I will never attempt) and a step up double that dips down before it steps up. It's do-able, but it still has me skeered.

The ROTMX has a race there this weekend (5 motos - 2 Sat, 3 Sun), so it won't be open for practice.

The drawback, of course, is that it's a long way from San Diego.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Welcome to the boards sweetdevil.

Glen Helen or Elsinore are the closest tracks to your area. I think the lame excuse for a track that you spoke of is called Third Gear pinned. I haven't by by there in months and would be amazed if the place was still open.

Lots of good trails in the Beaumont area. Keep checking for the next ride or better yet you can put one together and be our trail guide. We are always looking for new soil to turn.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Beaumont would be to bad for ya, what is that,about 45 min from PS, I took my daughter there last sunday, did some fun trailing.

Attachments

• shea3.jpg
    shea3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 175

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
damn it, i jsut spent 10 mins writing a reply and it deleted itself!

Yep, Comp is shut, but ive spoke to CPMX Jim via the proride board and it sounds like there is an outside chance it could reopen or find another venue.

Starwest is also open (same owners as comp) and they have a new track layout, but i expect it will still be SX orientated.

A new track has opened in Anza, about 20-30 miles east of Temecula off the 79 or 371? Its supposed to be a sand track with natural terrain, open on saturdays but a membership type thing on sundays to keep the numbers down. I will go there in a few weeks and send a report.

3rd Gear Pinned near Beaumont is supposed to be closed, but there are some reports it is open :confused: .....ive heard they didnt get many riders since the track prep is so bad, but it apparently has the potential to be very good. It sounds like a simialr deal with Amago...i would bet these places would be laughing all they way to the bank if they got their acts together, Elsinore gets all the business now since comp closed but the place is a real zoo.

carlsbad is awesome, expensive but i save the gas money so i am good to go! :thumb:

does glen helen close at 1pm on saturday practise?...i want to go but that has put me off a bit.

this leaves El Cajon, near to me but i still havent gone and then all the northern tracks that have very good reps Hungry Valley, Piru, Racetown, VMC. Ive done HV and Piru, both good and its good to meet up with endosports and MX-dude! :)

In an ideal world, everwhere would get its act together, carlsbad would do more practise days and comp would reopen.

We can dream cant we? I do miss the afternoons on the big track at the comp, chill out for an hour at sunset and then ride the night tracks under lights. It pains me to think how much time and money got invested there only to have a lock thrown accross the gate!

Later

Bruce

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom