Tire and chain and sprocket ???'s

yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
I had a question about what type of tire to run? I have a 99YZ400 and do strictly track riding? I live in AZ so its not the softest of dirt? I am a beginner level rider? Also what brand of chain and sprocket do you recommend that will last? Also is a Gold Chain worth the extra buck? I know its obviously not gonna help performance wise but will it ware out quicker then a regular chain?
Thanks

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Here is my advice. If you are concerned about longevity. Go to rockymountainmc.com and get an RK X-ring chain, $51.00 for your bike. This is the finest chain I have ever run and is still going strong on my bike. As for sprockets, I feel that if you have a good chain your sprockets will last a long time. Rocky Mountain has the Primary drive stuff that, in the front, is virtually the same as everyone else. Their rear is a steel non grooved sprocket. $6.99 for the front and $15.99 for the rear. If you want a little upgrade they also sell a sprocket called "TITAX" which is a aluminum grooved rear for $29.99. I don't think you can do wrong with either of these. Personally I feel if you spend more money than this, you will just be getting a feel good thing. If you want a non O-ring chain, I'm not sure what to recommend as I have never had any luck with them. Others here will surely give you some advice on that.

For tires, I would buy an IRC M5B tire. It has HUGE knobs and lasts a long time. I got excellent traction out of mine on Hard and soft terrain and when I have to buy another rear tire, the IRC is the one for me.

MikeT

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom