eburatti

Apr 4, 2002
I have a 92 CR500 that I use to ride mx at local tracks. I cannot get the rite to stop spinning on the rim. I have gone as far as having 2 metal rim-locks on the rim, but the tire is still moving enought to rip off the air stem and break the rim-locks. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a trick to stop the tire from spinning? Thanks.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
This only ever happened to me when the air pressure was real low . Do you have wide enough rim locks ? Was the rim itself ever switched to a wider one ? What kind of tire Sometimes the bead areas on less expensive tires are not as thick .Try not touse tire lube on the bead . Maybe you could glue the bead a little like its a tubeless ? Might get a little messy but it mught help . On a dragbike I had I put beadlock screws but I dont think you should need that .GOOD LUCK

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
eburatti.

Check out the post in the Vintage bike forum titled, 'Rim pins' by Kiwibird.

Might be of some help. :thumb:

Ol'89r

eburatti

Apr 4, 2002
Thanks for the input. I checked the "Rim Pins" topic, but I don't Think I want that for jumping. The rim locks are the right size and I do run low pressure (8-10 lbs). Maybe I'll just try 3 rim locks, like the CR500 owner in the vintage thread...

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
I've also heard of spraying a little carb cleaner on the inside edges of the tire near where the rimlock will sit. This temporarily softens up the rubber and allows the rimlock to get a better grip.

Larry

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
My old CR had sheet metal screws through the rim into the bead of the tire.
Why do you run the pressure so low? I run more like 14 and have no problems. The extra puts more pressure on the bead.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Scotty voice on........."Too much powr captin, I can't hold it much longer...... She'll tear apart!!" Scotty voice off

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
What are you using on the tire when you mount it? If you are spraying WD-40 or some other oil on the bead it will spin.

Only use soapy water.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom