Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
Next set of tires?
I'm at 26,000 miles and my Bridgestone tires have had it. :( I drive a GMC Sierra Crew cab 4x4. I put these tires on to replace the wimpie stock ones that came with the truck. Performance has been adiquate for what I do- which is mainly highwaying from one off road event to another. with a few 4 wheel drive logging roads thrown in.
Can anyone recomend a good tire for mostly highway use but will still pass CHP inspection when it snows?

Thanks, Buddy

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I had a set of Pirelli Scorpion A/T's, 265/75R16 on my 99 GMC Sierra 2wd. After about 60,000 km's (~40k mi) they had about 25% tread left.

We've had very good luck with Michelin LTX M/S tires on our full size GMC van, in 265/75R16's. The last set that we wore out lasted 160,000 km's (~100k mi). They could have gone farther, but it was winter time.

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
Cam
Thanks, that's good input.
I've had good performance/ware with Michelins too- I just let the dealer talk me into the Bridgestone. Said he never had a problem with the rep or warranty. Where as the Michelin rep was some what more picky.
I'll price the Michelins first.
Thanks

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I used to get stuck in wet grass with the LTX M/S tires. The A/Ts did better for me. I only got 25-35,000 miles out of each set, but I have reason to believe my wife was driving them hard when I wasn't looking.

I did better with the last set of Dunlop 10 ply A/Ts on my F250. They had 20K on them and still had half the tread left when I sold it.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
BFG-AT's might be a bit much, if he's doing mostly highway miles.
Maybe BFG LongTrail or LandTerrains?
(i used to like the Trail-TA's but BFG discontinued them.) :(
Might want to look at a set of BIG-O's.
Theyre a bit pricey, but have a great warranty!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I had Goodyear ATS's on my SuperDuty and while they provided a good highway ride and excellent off road traction they lasted about 24,000 miles. Not very impressive when I put 24,000 on my truck every year. GY offered no wear warranty so I was SOL. I looked at several options and settled on Bridgestone Dueler AT's and they seem to be holding up quite well. They also provide a good highway ride and excellent off road traction. I demand a lot from tires because of the yearly mileage and the fact that I live down a dirt trail (notice I didn't say "road") and travel state highways to get anywhere from where I live. I also looked at the Cooper and Dunlop offerings which I think would have worked fine as well. I had a set of BFG AT's on another truck and after belts seperated on 2 different tires causing significant damage to the steering assy on my truck each time I made the dealer replace them with Michelin XCX/APT's and was VERY happy with them, so happy in fact that I put them on my wife's fullsized Bronco as well and am still happy with them. She racks up about 75 miles a day and they still look to have 75% tread after 2 years.

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
Talked to a local tire shop and was informed that in order to get decent road milage I would have to purchase the Birdgestone Dueler Hp- High Performance or the HL -Luxury. the AT with agressive tread design are great off road and dual purpose, but not great highway tires.- Mum :| . I'm getting quoted $978 for 4 ( 265/75-16) mounted out the door. I was also told that the Bridgestones have a thicker side wall ( good for towing 15ft.trailer or boat) than Michelins($840) or Perelli Scorpions( $978.00).
Sounds like the best part of a grand$$$ :(

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's all give and take. Get long wear and get less off road traction. Get a quality tire and take more money out of your pocket. With a diesel there is no way I could run a street tire and not need a tow truck anytime I ventured off the dry pavement, I got stuck on wet grass with the stock Firestones once and that's all it took.

$1,000 is about right, I dropped that for a set of 285/75R16D's with lifetime balance, rotate & road hazard with 4 wheel lifetime alignment. If you have a Cooper dealer around check out their AT, I have a co-worker that gets 45K at a minimum out of them on his Dodge. I never noticed any issues with either set of the Michelin XCX/APT's when towing a boat, their off-road ability is not stellar but acceptable. You might also look at the Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo, it has a 50K warranty. I passed because the regular Dueler AT's were available when I needed them.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
OUCH! You're getting hosed on tire prices, IMHO. Two years ago I paid $765 out the door for 4 Pirelli Scorpion A/T's, including a new-looking Goodyear A/T spare. All were 265/75's, and that's Canadian dollars! That's under $500 USD.

I was also told that you can get the Pirelli's in a 10 ply, load range E. Apparently it's not in their catalogs but it's available. That's the heaviest duty you can get in a light truck tire.

I'm not trying to sound like a Pirelli salesman or anything, they were good tires but nothing spectacular, I'd consider buying them again if indeed the 10ply is available. It might be worth looking into.

stapletonjt

Oct 1, 2002
I was just about to suggest going to a 15 inch wheel but I remembered that the larger rotors require a 16. My only suggestion now is to make them own up to their word. Most places say they will beat anyone elses' prices. So, shop around - a lot. If there is a Discount Tire near you try them. I saved about $400 last time I bought tires because I made them beat Sears' price and they bought my old tires from me. If it makes you feel any better my 35 inch tires cost almost $200 each before any warranty/mount/balance etc.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Buddy,
I'm running America's Tire Pathfinder ATRs on my Dodge Cummins 4wd. I've got ~46k on them and the fronts still look great, the backs are worn in the middle due to over inflation. I'll never listen to dad again about tire pressure.... I think they ~$125 each for 315/75R16s. I just priced 30x9.50R15s for my Toyota 4wd and they are ~$100 each. The ATRs have a 60K treadware warranty.

My wife's '98 Explorer uses the ATRs as well thanks to Ford and are wearing extremely well.

I've been very happy with them and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another set. The tread pattern is very similar to the older BFG AT pattern.

Brian

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by Buddy:
" I'm getting quoted $978 for 4 ( 265/75-16) mounted out the door. I was also told that the Bridgestones have a thicker side wall ( good for towing 15ft.trailer or boat) than Michelins($840) or Perelli Scorpions( $978.00).
Sounds like the best part of a grand$$$ :( "

ZOIKS!! A bit excessive.
Coincidentially, i did a bit of tire pricing today for the shop truck.
(99 F250 SD V8 gas)
Was quoted from $150 to $159 each on BFG-AT's.
(the truck sees a lot of oilfield use.)
About $30 less for BFG Commercial TA's.
(better traction than AT but less life.)
Big-O XT's ran $169 each but seemed a bit TOO agressive for what we were looking for.
The most expensive quote was for the Big-O's at just over $700.
Size : LT265-75R16.

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
Beware of those "E" rated heavy ply tires. They can be some rough riding things.

Have you considered the Firestone SteelTex? I just bought two sets of 245/75-16 LRC for the K1500 and the E350 for $431 a set, all tax, etc included. The S-T's have a nice tough full outer rib to prevent cupping.

And, IMO, do not consider the Goodyear RTS, unless you want a tire which cups out at a rapid rate.

Last edited:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
My 02 Chevy 2500HD came with the E rated Firestone SteelTex tires from the factory. I Believe the Ford Super Duty trucks come with the same. They are quiet and ride nice, but I've heard of other owners having the beads seperate at an early stage of life.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Bazooka Joe
Beware of those "E" rated heavy ply tires. They can be some rough riding things.
Using anything less on a heavy duty pickup and you run the risk of finding out how nice of a ride a blown out load range D tire gives.

(Luckily it was on the back, but it still managed to tear up the fender and exhaust before I got it slowed down.)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I just replaced the tires on my Suburban about a month ago. at roughly 73,000 miles on the OEM Firestones. I know I was stretching it because I had a flat at DW that XRGuuy and Stan changed for me (broke toes).
In any case, I went back to Firestone because I think they got screwed by the Ford deal and ended up with Bridgestone Dueler H/L. I have fotgotten the exact size but they are 16 inch. With lifetime realignment, oil change and tires, I got out the door for a shade under $900.00.
The interesting thing I learned is that 4x4 GM products are supposed to have their alighment checked every 12,000 miles. That might explain the fact that the front tires were wearing like the tires were toed out. That fact alone made the lifetime alignment a no brainer.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Another satisfied FS SteelTex guy here, just recommend geting the E rated also, especially for a heavy vehicle like a sub or diesel anything. They last, good traction and quiet. BTW the only tire I've had blow up was a Michelin. :silly:

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
The E rated are definitely a good idea, provided that you are (or will) hauling something heavy enough to require the load capacity. Nothing like an overloaded tire to bring on a blowout. The "P" rated tires would definitely be something to shy away from, even though they often are the stock tires on 1/2 ton pickups.

Something of note- Some guys who want the toughman setup, will run the E's and find that the E's don't feel so good at 80 PSI with light loads and bleed off a bunch of pressure. However, after dropping the pressure, they've lost the load capacity, plus will likely have a lower quality ride (and MPG) than if they'd purchased tires more reasonably matched to their needs.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Patman
I had Goodyear ATS's on my SuperDuty and while they provided a good highway ride and excellent off road traction they lasted about 24,000 miles.

that aint good news, thats what ive got on my truck right now! they came on it, but the rear two were worn in the center really bad (musta been over inflated for a loooooong time) so I bought two more to replace those (im cheap). The place I bought them was going out of business so I got them cheap, unfourtunately that means I dont get there warranty :(

SDougherty

Nov 7, 2001
My 99 Silverado 2500 also came with the Steeltex as standard. They looked a little small and offered a harsh ride due to the steel belted casing. I went with the Michelin MS and just love the tire. I have sinced put them on my wife's Blazer ........Highly recomend very smooth and quiet.

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
I've been a long time fan of Michelins. Its ether them or Bridegstones right now. I was told to get more of a highway tire then a mud and snow since I'm averaging about 25,000 a year now with very little off orad use. Then again we haven't had a good snow in California in some time.
Buddy.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On my 2wd truck, I have recently installed Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's. They are a huge improvement over the stock rim protectors. Apparently they are OEM on some of the high end SUVs (not sure which ones).

VERY quiet on the highway, impressive wet and dry roadhoding, excellent ride. The sidewalls are very soft, though (I checked before they were installed) which may be a concern if you offroad in the rocks. Apparently Michelin only markets these tires for SUV applications.

Some of the tire companies and retailers have good webpages to assist your shopping. try www.1010tires.com www.tirerack.com www.michelin.com

Last edited:

Top Bottom