Trail-Lite travel trailers and trucks

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Hey guys,

we are looking at at trail-lite travel trailers for my family. Does anyone here have one? We are considering a 21 - 26 footer. I'd be pulling it with an 03 dodge ram quadcab with the 5.7L hemi. Anyone here pull a travel trailer very much?

Any input/comments/advice are greatly appreciated. I am totally new to travel trailers.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I have a 24ft KZ camper that I pull with a 99 Ram 4x4, V-10,373 rears and auto. I get 8 to 9 mpg at 60mph when we go south thru the mtns.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
we pull almost every weekend to races but our experience is with a ford F250 SD diesel. I will try to help as much as I can-
Your 5.7 hemi should have plenty of power but make sure what rearend you have to decide your full capability. We had a 22 foot KZ Coyote toyhauler which weighed in at about 4200 empty and maxed out at around 67000 loaded. Something in this range should be good for you. The guy I sold it to this month has a chev 3/4T van and he said it towed it great on the 500 mile trip home with it.
If you don't have a tow package on your truck be sure to add a tranny cooler and tow in OD only if it isn't searching between gears.
We didn't experience a drastic (from 22 not towing to 18 towing) drop in MPG with the diesel but with gas expect more drop off. Be sure you have a high enough rated hitch and use the weigh distributor system to save your suspension.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
When my dad had a travel trailer (he now has a 5th wheel) he had some sway control set up.. WHen he would get passed by 18 wheelers, the trailer wouldn't sway due too the truck passing by.. That, and take your time while towing..
RIck

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
rickyd said:
When my dad had a travel trailer (he now has a 5th wheel) he had some sway control set up.. WHen he would get passed by 18 wheelers, the trailer wouldn't sway due too the truck passing by.. That, and take your time while towing..
RIck

The rv dealer said I would get some sort of anti-sway reciever and the electronic brake controller. I believe that the trailer we like comes in below #4000 empty.

I'd be looking at about 700 lbs of bikes/gear in the bed of the truck and then the trailer behind.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
What size truck? 1500 or 2500? Auto or standard? With the dodge auto being the weak point I never pull on OD. I tried it in OD when we went to Tenn a couple of years ago and still only got 9 mpg. Even the people with diesal's and 4 wheel drive only get around 11-12 mpg. But they do run faster then I do. I can set my cruise at 60 and pull almost any hill. I talked to a guy last year at Mrytle Beach that had a brand new Hemi pulling a 32 ft. Lived just east of me so he ran the same rout that I did and he averaged 7mpg. My brother has a dodge dually V-10 pulling a 18ft goose neck stock trl and gets around 13 mpg.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
HP aint everything... where is the peak HP and torque on the hemi? Pretty high rpm's if I recall?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom