adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Thought maybe you might all like to see this. I've had an FMF rev pipe and Turbine Core II silencer on my bike for a little over a year now. When putting it all on it took a bit of uuumf to get the front silencer mount up to the proper position. Nothing much, just lifting on the silencer while getting the bolt started. Looks now like there was a little too much stress over time from doing that.

41f94a7d.jpg

Picture815.jpg

Picture814.jpg

I tack welded it with the silencer still mounted, so now it fits just right. :)

Then I took it off and threw the stocker back on. Man is that thing a whole lot heavier! I figure since 95% of my riding has been on the street lately I might as well make it quieter and save the lighter can for when I go racing.

By the way, that's not rust on everything, it's good ol Georgia clay (and a pain in the arse to clean off).

captbly99

May 30, 2005
Gotta love GA clay! :laugh: NOT!
Pain in the arse to get off white boots and riding clothes too!

Adam where have you gotten to ride? Just DP?

Weird about your silencer :coocoo:

I'd like to make the Highland Point ride tomorrow, but not sure the family wants to drive 2 hours for it. :(

Oh well.

~michele

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I've ridden at DP once and other than that it's just been roads around Statesboro here. I've barely been in Gerogia though, work has had me traveling a ton. I just got back from Sweden yesterday, and I might have to go to Mexico Monday. I love how all these trips come down to just one or two days notice!

I thought about doing the Highland thing (I saw the posts on GOR), but I think I might just lay low and enjoy being home. If I'm around next weekend I'm definitly going riding somewhere though!

It's different riding with the stock silencer now. At lower rpm it's much quieter, but once the power valve opens it sounds the same, all the noise from the expansion chamber. I'm sure to someone not on the bike it is quieter though.
And to all those that say there is no power difference, no way. Throttle response down low was greatly effected, even after playing with the air screw (pilot seems fine, I'm getting best response at 1 3/4 turns out). And it does not seem to rev through each gear as quickly. I went back and forth between the two, and the stocker is just slower. There is a corner just down the road that I can powerslide through in 5th with the FMF, it won't even think about it with the stocker on there, it hardly wants to slide around in 4th. Maybe it's all that extra weight on the back getting it to hook better. :)
Seriously though, I see a pretty big difference between the stocker and the FMF. My bike is fairly heavily modded though.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
My TCII came with some rubber bushings and a spacer to go between the frame and pipe at the bolt points. I would have really had to force it without them.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
It makes you wonder if they are just mass producing the pipes and dont have the proper quality controls in place .

Glad I have a Pro Circuit , took 10 minutes to fit and fits perfectly .

KI4CPE

Mar 14, 2005
Dude, mine broke (FMF Turbine core 2) in exactly the same place. FMF may have their calculations off a bit. The crack in mine was only about one third of the circumference. I also have a small amount of leakage where the pipe fits into the cylinder, but I am sure some RTV silicone will remedy the problem.( the FMF Gnarly pipe, Woods version) Good luck... R. Shane Dudley Hallsboro, NC

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
The end cap and internals of my FMF turbine core fell off and self destructed after only about 6 months of use. I havent had any problems with my fmf pipes, but the way this silencer fell apart is garbage. The PC silencer I had didnt look as nice and was longer, but it sure didnt fall apart. I think Im going to have to try a different brand next time.

I guess pretty just doesnt cut it. Or maybe they just havent been getting much feedback from users.

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
turbine core 2, 3 years old here buuttt!! it RUBBER MOUNTED on all points. vibration is what kills this is why the pipe is mounted with rubber mounts and springs. The original post picture it is clear that no rubber mount is present. vibration breaks thats the norm mounting metal to metal.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Same here, broke after one year in the exact same place. I welded mine back together but not everyone has that option. FMF needs to step up and cure the problem, be it rubber mounted or better QC I cant tell you, but it appears many of these silencers are breaking.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
matt-itude said:
I second the vibration thing. I really doubt it was weight that broke it or it would have broke behind the mount.

I never said it was the weight, it was the poor fit. When slipped into the pipe end (all mounts on the pipe loose and free to move) the rear mount could be lined up easily. However, the front mount was too low, so I had to lift it up into place, causing there to now be a downward force on the inlet of the silencer.

My pipe is rubber mounted, just like stock. My silencer is mounted solid, just like stock (unless someone played a cruel joke and stole my rubber mounts on my brand new, just out of the crate motorcycle when I got it). FMF provides no hardware for rubber mounting, nor do the instructions say to rubber mount it.

I am sure that vibration along with the stress of the improper fit lead to it's demise. But I am also sure that rubber mounting it would not have saved it, maybe helped it like a small time longer, but not saved it.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Not sure about the 220 but the 200's stock mounts on the pipe are rubber and the silencer is solid mount . The rubber seal between the pipe and silencer should be enough to not require and rubber mounts for the silencer .

The Pro Circuit in my opinion is a better finished off , better fitting pipe , with all round better performance than the FMF .

Top Bottom