gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Okay, I know what a VHS is and I know what a DVD is but what is a VCD?
I've been trying to sell off my Videos in order to replace them with DVD's namely my Star Wars Trilogy VHS set. I sold my trilogy at a yard sale assuming I could easily get it on DVD. Apparently they aren't producing them in the US right now but you can get some on ebay from people who are getting them "oversees". Some are "VCD's" and some are DVD's. My other concern is that some of the DVDs say they have "region free coding". Is that legal? or are some just made that way? I really want the original trilogy on DVD but am leary about what I'm seeing on ebay. Eddie thinks the stuff I'm seeing is pirated, well that's the pc version of what he really said. :p

What do you think?

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
My understanding is that neither the Star Wars Trillogy or the 3 original movies have ever been released on DVD.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
a lower quality version of a DVD, there are also SVCD's that are of a higher quality, but are alot bigger.

Roost165

Nov 18, 2002
VCD's are awesome. You can get many movies for free and anyone can burn them on normal cds. But downfalls are sometimes lower quality and 2-4 cds per movie. Also some dvd players will not support them. One neat trick though is that you can burn Mpegs onto a cd of you riding and watch them on the big screen.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
The best way to think about a VCD (Video CD) is to think about it like it’s a normal CD sized Laser Disk. And like Roost165 said (and like LDs) you will have a few CDs per movie. SVCD (Super Video CD) is a different format that allows for about half an hour of video on a normal sized CD but has much nicer video quality. So if you have a movie on SVCD you will have even more SVCD disks to keep track of. Personally I’d just stick with DVDs

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by scooter1130
My understanding is that neither the Star Wars Trillogy or the 3 original movies have ever been released on DVD.

Actually, the original 3 star wars films, episodes 4-6, haven't been released on DVD yet.  Episode I and II are out on commercially produced DVDs.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I know this is an old thread (and probably irrelevant now), but hunting for another DVD I came across the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD (can't quite understand why it's 4 DVDs, but then again, I was just skimming the guff).
www.digitaleyes.net had them as a boxed set & I vaguely recalled seeing this thread.

BTW, I wish I'd ordered the DVD from them as I'd have it by now, the cheap company I've ordered it through has it on back order - anyone remember the movie "animals are beautiful people" or as released here "beautiful people" circa 1975 (hey, I know I'm old, I loved that movie & have been looking for it forever). Now I'm figuring out what to do.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Michelle,

Movies Unlimited has the movie Animals are Beautiful People, as well as mnay other hard to find titles. search by title, and they have it on both VHS and DVD.
movies unlimited.com

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
The original trilogy Star Wars Episodes 4-6 are scheduled for Commercial release in the US around Sept 21st of this year. Just FYI.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
gospeedracer said:
my Star Wars Trilogy VHS set.
What do you think?
She's a supergeek , supergeek , she's supergeeky YOW!

Top Bottom