MarksCR250

Jun 21, 2001
I just came back from a ride that went pretty good except for this:
I was coming into a flat left hand turn too fast and then really complicated things by not using enough front brake...the rear brake locked up and the back end slid out and kept sliding...lower...lower...instead of laying the bike down I tried a desperate steering correction and muscled the bars to the right. Well I passed whatever the 'safe' angle of correction was, and in an instant the front tire grabbed earth and I high sided pretty hard. Doh! (God bless the inventor of motorcycle helmets)

What would have been the best way to correct my mistake? The situation was: rear brake is locked up in the middle of a fastish flat corner and the bike starts to slide out from under you (me)

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited:

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Bail, NOW!!
I dont know of anyone that could save that from what you have said, but all depends of how much it was leaning, but id guess that you would need to but your body weight onto the front to get it off the back as thats the part that is sliding. Sort of put the weight on the right hand side where the throttle is maybe?? This is for a left hand turn im using here. Was it left or right hand corner??

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
you could do what goob always does in

that situation.......crawl up on the side panel and wait for the bike to come to a stop. its called bike surfing, course he has another term for it! :p :p

anyway seriously as hard as it is to allow yourself to crash its prolly the high side crash that is the one that you want to allow yourself to low side and correct the mistake that you made the next time you do that type of corner.

believe it our not, if your in that layed over that far mode "nail it" it will either make you look like a pro and rail that corner really cool, or most likely slide you out the rest of the way but that nasty high side won't happen.

I don't noe but i have seen high side crashes that I think a full blown endo would have hurt less!

Main thing to remember......in corneing you want to stay smooth, relax, and keep your speed up, stay off the brakes while your "in" the corner and do your braking before you get there.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Opps! Sorry Gomer, I was napping.

Mark. Wardy is spot on here with "nail it". In a situation like that, it is much better to low side than to high side. The only way to control and maintain a slide like that is with throttle control. If you were to aggressively come back on the throttle while in the sliding position, you could have maintained that position with throttle control. If you try to pick the bike up straight or correct your slide without being on the throttle, you will most likely highside. But you already know that don't you?:scream:

If you are uncomfortable with using throttle, then, just let the bike slide to a stop or slide down. Would be safer than highsiding.

Something that has saved me from several bad getoffs is "When in doubt, gas it!".

Going back to my nap, wake me if something happens Gomer.:confused:

Aug 6, 2000
That's a techinque I learned from letting my tires go bald (you learn balance quickly your bike slides in every turn)

I just follow the rule when it comes to turns "when in doubt, gas it"

MarksCR250

Jun 21, 2001
"When in doubt, pin it!"

Hmmmmm... I think a rough translation of that expression has a lot in common with the moto of kamikazi pilots in WWII. But speaking of my crash, if I had it to do over again (and I'm sure I will, at some point) I would either just lay the bike down or perhaps try throttle control with the option to lay it down later :scream:
What really gets me is that I was having a great ride and just got too cocky. But I'm glad brake levers are only about 9 bucks because mine snapped off like a toothpick when I hit.

Top Bottom