SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Alright, I here alot that your suppose to use WD-40 to keep dirt from sticking but everytime I used it, it dulled my plastics and my bike was a dust magnet. Not sure why it works for others.

I use WD-40 to put on my grips because when it drys it acts as a glue. I have converted all my buddies to it and in 6 months not one person has had any grip come loose in any condition. Plus just spray some WD-40 inside the grip and it slides off without having to cut it off.

Taking this "glue" idea into consideration, how does it repel dirt?

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Spectra,
I have the same concern (dulling the plastic) with using WD40 as a mud repellant. Sounds like you answered my concern. Some folks also suggest using Pam, but again I have the same concern. I haven't tried either one.

It's raining here today so we'll have mud and I plan on riding. I think I'll do a test and compare WD-40 and Pam (I think my wife uses it, better check, huh?) To negate the worry of dulling plastics I'll spray one on the bottom side of the front fender and the other under the back fender. I'm not concerned if the underside dulls. I'll let you know how it goes.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Not sure if this will keep mud off or not, but too keep my plastics looking good i use Mop n Glo, its cheap too..
Hope this helps you,

RIck

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If a grip can slide off without cutting it, it can come off while riding. Why would you want it to come off easy?

Spraying WD on the underside of the fender is not a method used for parade bikes, it's simply to help keep mud from sticking. The "glue" action you are seeing is not the WD-40 alone doin it, it is the reaction of the rubber to the chemical in the spray, slightly breaking down the rubber at the molecular level, acting as an adhesive. I suspect the dulling of the plastic is a similar action.

mhardee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by Jaybird
Spraying WD on the underside of the fender is not a method used for parade bikes, it's simply to help keep mud from sticking...

As a sprintcar owner, wrenchpuller for years, we use a product called MuddOff to keep the mud from sticking on these. I have not tried it yet on my dirtbike, but as soon as these three broke ribs heal, I am going to a will report back. On the sprints, it works great - you buy a quart concentrate that you put in a pump-type sprayer and it makes about 5 gallons of working solution.. Sprays on milky white (so you can see what you've sprayed) and turns clear after a minute or two..

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
WEll we raced the KTM challenge at the supercross. The KTM factory guys sprayed the underside of the fenders with Motorex silocone spray. Worked like a charm. WD-40 is a solvent, akin to kerosene. Anyone ever seen a solvent dull plastic. Oh yeah, depending on the plastic type and strength of the solvent.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Silicone spray is the ticket. I prefer an Armor All type product over the lubricant type.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I take grips off alot. I'm always trying to find grips I like and I don't wanna have to cut them off to try new ones. WD40 makes it easy to get them off. looks like there are lots of different products that people use...but for plastics. Does anyonre have any thing they use for the engine? frame? wheels?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I use windex to take grips off and to put them on. I have also used spray paint to put them on. Once it dries you will need to cut them off.

The silicone spray works for all parts of the bike. Its super slick. I reccomend Motorex silicone spray but there are other brands out there.

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
pledge furniture polish is great. mud, etc. falls off and plastic will look. better than new. spray on and let set overnite oe even a couple of days and then polish. you will be amazes. used regularly is the ticket. cheap and even smells good too.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Pretty much any silicone based spray will give a good oiled look to your bike bring out the colors on painted areas and stop mud clinging on. As for grips try liquid dish soap and water 50/50 mix. Then when you want to take them off use a syringe under the grip and inject water. That will allow it to come off and be reused. Just don't leave it sitting in the rain over night before you ride ! :thumb:

Top Bottom