Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Anyone got a stabilizer on their 95-01 KDX? DO they work well? Is it difficult to get it to fit? Which one fits better? (I know the Scotts is a bit better but WER ain't bid!) I'm looking to work on front end deflection off roots and stumps a little for security sake, I think this might help.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I've been lookin at these too. Havn't formulated an opinion yet. Waiting to see who chimes in here and what they add.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a WER on my last 2 KDX's and have a Scotts on my current ride. They both work great. To me, it doesn't matter which one you get so long as you get one! I am a HUGE fan of steering dampers - after sorting out your jetting and suspension, a damper is the best thing you can do for most woods bikes, imo.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Tough choices!!

I just read an article in "Trail Rider" about the Scotts and the Wer. The both seem equal, except the Scotts are mounted on the bar. If you've got "stuff all over your bar it may interfer, but it's out of harms way there. I hot glued a chunk of styrofoam onto my front fender and I'm gonna see how much abuse it takes. Being from the East Coast(North Eastern Pa.), I think I'm gonna go with the WER cuz they're from N.J. and this should be built to handle the rocks and roots from here. Scotts was made for desert use. It may mean jack!!**## but that's the way I figured out which one I'm gonna buy this winter. Everyone I talked to at the races LOVE them, they all had WER and took them from bike to bike.
Good luck!!
Joe
2001 KDX 200
2000 KTM 200
2001 Yami ttr125 (boy "A"s)
1996 Honda XR 80 (Boy "B"s)

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
I have a WER and I really like it. I don't think I'll have another bike without one. Real easy to install but had to hack away the botttom left side of the headlight shell. No big deal though...
Get one.

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
We use the WER on all five of our enduro bikes and they work great. We went with the WER because of where it mounted. I know that everybody thinks the Scotts is superior because you can adjust on the fly, but why would you need to adjust it while you are riding? I can adjust mine when I stop, but never do. Put heavy oil in it, crank it as tight as it will go, and ride.

Brenda

TimW

Feb 21, 2001
Rode my buddies YZ400F with the scotts and its awesome, simple to mount and adjust with the protapers. It does look a bit on the dangerous side without a pad to go over it, but I am interested in scotts for my next bike.
Tim

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
I think I am going to go with the WER because I have a handlebar mounted gas tank. BTW, the WER has to be pretty good, since Jeff Freddete uses em right?;)

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I have been riding with the WER for six months now and love it. I havn't tried the Scotts but I hear they both perform well. The WER can be installed without drilling (see pic) If you line it up with the hole in the frame.

Attachments

• temp3.jpg
    temp3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 424

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
W.E.R. on the way!

I decided on the W.E.R. and it will be here before the MI Trailfest this weekend. I use a head light unlike Mac so I hopw it will go on all right. I thank everyone for their feedback on this unit.:D

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
I have a scotts damper, and love the fact that I can crank it around. I ride in the sand and desert mostly, but ride into the trees and motocross. Being able to adjust it is nice to get "the feel". All you are adjusting is the low speed damping, so deflection damping is not change, or sweep. I can go from rock solid hard to turn (flying through the desert) to soft and easier for the trees and stuff. I have my forks pushed way up to get my WR to turn, so being able to adjust it is nice. If I didn't have one, it would headshake like crazy. So, whatever. I adjust it all the time, and I like it. Woohoo

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Re: W.E.R. on the way!

Originally posted by Fred T
I decided on the W.E.R. and it will be here before the MI Trailfest this weekend. I use a head light unlike Mac so I hopw it will go on all right. I thank everyone for their feedback on this unit.:D

With a little creativity and power tools you can make it fit.:)

Attachments

• wer.jpg
    wer.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 307

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
WER mounting & effectiveness

put one on my '99 220. didn't need to scavenge the number plate nearly as much as the above picture. swap the upper number plate mounting brackets and modify the lower mounting frame to eliminate the cross-member. this will move the number plate up a smidge and reduce the need to hog out so much of the lower supporting plastic.

when using an acerbis DHH headlight system, all you'll need to do is hog out a very small part of the plastic, if you mount the number plate as high as the triple clamps will allow.

effectiveness is very good, although you'll need to back off full-damping at least a half-turn for tight woods. i purchased the thing because i'd raised the forks about 10mm and created a bit of twitchiness. hitting a rock with that little bit of steeper geometry, sent me careening into the brush. the steering damper killed the twitchiness and helps me stay on line.

anything to make it easier. and i like that the WER mounting location is really out of the way. as much as i crash & burn (Ol' Gouge didn't get his name because he's pretty!), i didn't want something that was exposed to the rocks or to my chin. my WER damper is scar-free after almost a year's worth of corn-holing trees.

if you ride with the forks at stock height..., i wouldn't think that you'd need a steering damper unless you ride in EXTREMELY rocky areas.

having limited experience with the scotts, all i can say is that full-damping with the scotts, is much more noticeable than full-damping on the WER.

remember..., if you're not crashing, you're not trying hard enough.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Got it on tonight!

Not too bad to install really. I got the KDX mounting kit and that really helped. I'll give it a whirl this weekend. Thanks all! :)

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Wow, this is a long thread. I spoke with Jef fredette about this and he told me that the scotts is more for the Desert riders, so well that is all I got to say.
Also, I very interested in becoming a member.thank you all.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Re: WER mounting & effectiveness

if you ride with the forks at stock height..., i wouldn't think that you'd need a steering damper unless you ride in EXTREMELY rocky areas.

having limited experience with the scotts, all i can say is that full-damping with the scotts, is much more noticeable than full-damping on the WER.

remember..., if you're not crashing, you're not trying hard enough. [/B]

Well from what I have gathered through research it also is helpful in sandy single track, roots, whoops, rocks and stumps- all of our favorite things here in good 'ol Michigan! :p

Top Bottom