What do I do to make the chain last in sand

cjjeeper

May 9, 2003
I'm just getting back into dirt biking, just bought 2 new bikes, an XR250 and a CRF230. Where I live its pretty much nothing but sugar sand dusty stuff, the chain after a short ride is coated with the gritty crap. I know its gonna shorten the life of the chain and sprockets by a bunch. What do you guys do to make a chain and sprockets live in those conditions for more than a minute? I've been using an o-ring friendly brake cleaner, but its getting kind of expensive. Is this my only option?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
it's somewhat sandy where I ride, but not like you described.  Myself and most of my riding pals swear by o-ring chains.  Set it and forget it, just spray a bit of WD etc. after washing to keep the chain from rusting. 

Maybe we'll get some reports from some hard core sand diggers and see what they run.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I believe the bikes you mentioned both come with O-ring chains as stock. If you're using a lot of chain lube, you'll attract sand and dust. Like previously said, just use WD-40 after you wash the bikes, let it set awhile and wipe off the excess with a rag.

Top Bottom