What is the best state to live in for riding??

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Cali. riding

Yes we do have a great variety of riding here, but the problem is that only 3 or 4 months do we get rain, makes for some real dusty riding. After living here for the past 11 years im ready for anywhere you get year round rain fall. I could come back here and visit during the winter when the riding is good.
What about Texas, I really like the San Antonio area, whats the riding like there?
My parents live in ole Miss. and the riding there is great. Right down the road they have a MX track that is open every day for practice (free) and some of the best woods riding if ever done.

mxbundy

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Gotta stick up for Illinois

Illinois isn't that bad!!! If you're into MX - there are over 60 tracks within 250 miles (from the point about 50 miles south of Chicago) (30 within 150 miles) and quite a few off road areas too. We're also fairly close to Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Kentucky. On a typical Sunday - there are at least 5 races to choose from! It could be a lot worse!! :confused:

bills442

May 4, 2001
well erac,

I think unless I am mistaken there are 3 "sections" of the Wayne national forest in Ohio. So the 2 you speak of are both Wayne I think. They ARE nice, I've been there, and you are lucky to live in the more southern reaches of the state. I would not complain near as much I've I lived a little farther south.

I'm glad to see someone from Oregon posted, thats been on my hot list, once I saw the extensive trail network they had, and that 700 mile cross state discovery route looked cool.

I've been considering AZ but I'm afraid I would miss the tree and mud. Anybody from AZ got comments on that?

Michigan rules, I've done the michigan 6 days, but the weather anywhere in the northeast just ruins it for me. I'm not a big winter guy.

Anyone from california like to comment on the traffic and general transportation conditions to your riding areas? Can you just get up on Saturday and load the truck, or do you have to make advanced plans to beat the traffic? I've heard such horrible stories about transit time anywhere in CA.

nice to hear from everyone.

mknight

Jun 14, 2000
I haven't seen any votes for Utah and I like it that way :-) Like Strick said....Nevada sucks....don't go there.....so does Utah :)

Seriously, I'm a bit biased but I would say Utah has to rank up there. I can ride year round and we have just about every type of riding except the tight woods the east offers. Within an hour to an hour and a half I can either ride tight single track to 10,000 foot peaks, or head for the desert (year round) and blast through miles and miles of desert terrain. I can also hit a few MX tracks if I desire. Don't forget one of the biggest and most popular sand dune riding areas (Little Sahara/Jericho...60,000 acres of dunes). Moab is only 4 hours away as is the San Rafael Swell. Idaho is only a few hours to the North and there is some great riding there as well. There is a desert racing circuit here as well as two MX circuits although tracks are few and far between in the large Metropolitan areas (Salt Lake area).

Unfortunately, the wilderness land debates are a very hot and reoccurring topic here in Utah so I'm sure it is just a matter of time before our opportunities continue to dwindle unless we ride responsibly and continue to fight the battle. I hope my 3 sons will have an opportunity to enjoy the great riding that we currently have.

N.H. Hick

Mar 10, 2001
if you ride NETRA you know some of the best spots for a man and a machine to go.... i can ride leagaly from my house(well down the road a little) to canada, without stoping for nothing but premix. its cool, and thats why Livingstons artic cat dealer had the most sleds sold for one dealer in the US 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Mudboy

Dec 3, 1999
Idaho. Look at the size of this state on the map. Less than 1 million people in the entire state, and half of those are in the Boise area. Tons of technical single track, epic multi-thousand foot mountain climbs (we had to turn around two days ago because of snow, even though it was 80 degrees), oh--and if you get tired of single track paradise, you can go to the best dunes in the US and have them almost all to yourself (St. Anthony--highest free standing dunes in North America). The only downside--the weather--a short riding season.

XR650Rider

Jan 10, 2001
HMMMMMMMMM..

I leave CA to do most of my riding in Nevada and Utah. Nevada is hands down the most desolate place I have been since I lived in Alaska. However, there aren't too many hospitals around for you freestyle and motocross guys.

KDK

jeff joy

May 14, 2001
I have to stick up for Oregon sense no one else has.We have alot of diverse ridding here,anything from sand dunes at the coast(honeymon park 3rd largest sand dunes in the US.)to desert riding in eastern Oregon to my favorite the slop and slime of technical trails in the rain forests of western Oregon in the winter,average rainfall is about 100 inches a day so bring your rain coat and don't leave your bike outside to long or it will rust!!

honDAN

Mar 23, 2001
Which state is riding heaven?

Hands dowm the best state for ridin is Idaho. (Idaho? you say...)

Let me explain You have all the Jeep trails, single trackers, Sand Dune you have places to ride year round. You also have access to some of the best mountain views in your life! E-Mail me, come riding, and I'll prove it!!!:cool: :cool:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
ST500 - dry heat my a** . What do they call that little bit of rain you get in August? Monsoon... and it's still 112F outside.

I've ridden in 105F at Lucerne - riding wasn't too bad but man when I stopped I thought I was gonna die.

Strick's right - riding in Nevada sucks. Stay away. I don't need to run into you next time I'm there.

Brian

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
I have ridden in NY, PA, OH, and even though Onatrio,Canada is not a state.
There is some awesome riding to be done in Canada. Out of the 3 states I have ridden in Ohio takes it, due to the legal ride areas. I was shock to see postings about Ohio is the pits for riding. Here in New York we have one State trail to ride on. I never went there due to the stories form fellow riders.
Ohio has Perry State forset, and Wayne National Forest to use. Plus all the dual sport rides down in that area. Plus Ohio has a good number of pay to ride MX tracks. :eek:

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
This is a great thread! I had to revive it. I have been in riding hell the last 2 months. Here in Louisiana there are only 4 public areas to ride and they have all been closed for almost 6 weeks. All in the National forest. They close them down when it rains. Which happens to be like every other day. Quite frustrating! I am trying to find a good place to move so I can ride year round. Man it is tough. Colorado would be great, but no riding from Nov to Apr? That would blow. Cali? Too many fruits, nutz, laws, high cost of living, high liberal pop, taxes, lots of dust. Utah? Idaho? They both seem to fall in with CO. Az? Nevada? Everyplace seems to have it's pros and cons. TN/Arkansas seems to be a good choice. Not too cold, not too hot, beautiful, and a lot of trails. MO/KY isn't that bad either. I guess the search will continue.....

grackle

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 2, 2003
After growing up in Idaho, I did 8 years in the military and lived in FL, SC, VA, and I'm now a civilian again in Texas. 

Texas is by far the worst.  There is no public land available for riding, or anything else for that matter.  You either have to get in good with a land owner, or pay to ride. 

Idaho has more available terrain than anyone could cover in a lifetime.  There are hills, dunes, mountains, desert, and you haven't lived until you've put some screws through your knobbies and gone out on the ice.  Granted, it can get a little cold in the winter, but I'd much rather bundle up and brave 0 degrees for a few months than roast at 110 down here in Texas.

bills442

May 4, 2001
well, my best friend just moved from N.E Ohio to NM for the very reason ( wanting to ride all year )

I've visited and let me tell you from what I saw, its paradise. The weather is mild, neither too hot nor too cold, and tons of freelance, no laws riding once you leave the city limits. The terrain was exciting, I was worried I would miss the soil variations and subtle but many elevation changes like here in Ohio. I was impressed, I'll tell ya.

If it wasn't for the fact the economy has COMPLETELY gone to H*ll in my field and that I've had the absolute worst luck in my life the last 14 months, I would be there. I highly recommend it. One things I definately recommend. Riding RULES! If you are not happy where you live, RUN RUN RUN as fast as you can, take the first opportunity to move to a better place, because who knows how much longer there will be any riding at all.

bills442

May 4, 2001
I believe its Paradise Hills, its kinda on the outskirts of Albuquerque, of course albuquerque is huge. He's in a new housing complex ( my god are they building faster than you can blink out there ). Basically he can roll his bike out of the garage and with a five minute drive be at the local natural terrain mx practice track, or you can drive 10-15 minutes down a dirt road and you are at what they call the "North Side" I think, and it just unlimited riding as far as you can see ( your at the end of civilization basically -- next thing you would hit would be an Indian reservation ). The only minus I hear about it is that there are not very many "tracks" out there. Lots of riding but not a lot of organized events -- if you are into racing. I suppose that would change as the area becomes more and more dense with population.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
It ain't Montana, either, where I grew up. The obvious weather issue is one. Lack of organized areas is another. The landowner issue is another.

When I came to California in the mid 1980's, I felt closed in, since my immediate vicinity was paved over with freeways and tract homes. And I carried with me the time honored mid-western theory that California was full of nuts, and everybody was a drug adict, welfare recipient or criminal. Boy, was I mistaken.

California has areas to ride bigger than some eastern states (not that big of an exaggeration). California has the "culture" of motorcycles, particularly SoCal (I've lived almost 10 years in each end of the state of California). MX tracks everywhere, shops everywhere, all the major manufacturers are in SoCal (even KTM, in San Diego), including many of the aftermarket manufacturers (Acerbis is right down the street from me). You can actually get a job in the industry here, if you want. Try that in some of the another nominee states!

There are more AMA Pro races in California than a great many of states added together. While many parts of the country are freezing their tails off, we're watching 5 of the first 6 rounds of AMA supercross.

Many of the best riders in the world live here, and those that want to compete in the U.S. from other countries tend to move to California. Just going to a local MX track midweek gives you a good chance of bumping into somebody who's name you'd recognize. A bunch of guys were here from the Candadian Pro MX circuit about a month ago, practicing out at Lake Elsinore at the same time my son and I were riding. I've ridden on the track with Nate Ramsey, Mike LaRocco, Greg Albertyn, no name a few. How often is that happening in Colorado?

A tradition of time honored races and venues that many have read about in the various magazines are right here in California, like the Lake Elsinore Gran Prix, Carlsbad Raceway, Mammoth Mountain MX, Barstow to Vegas (desert race). Not to mention, many of the Off-road / MX type magazines are right here in SoCal.

As a bonus, from San Diego, we have Baja, Mexico, right next door. 1000 miles to the southern tip of Baja, and you can do it all off road. I've ridden from Tecate (right on the U.S. / San Diego County border with Mexico) to a beach town in Baja called San Felipe, crossing over mountains in pine forests, with frozen water in the mud puddles, to dry lake beds at 90 degrees (while going 90mph), all in the same ride in the same day. Got that in Michigan?

There's certainly more varied riding areas in California than perhaps any place on the earth, from the world famous Glamis dunes, to riding on the beach as Pismo dunes, with terrain from the highest peak in the lower 48 states at Mount Whitney (over 14,000 feet) to the lowest at Death Valley at about 200 feet below sea level. Some of the largest trees in the world (redwoods), to bushes trying to survive with no water.

Sure, I like riding in other places, but overall, I think California ranks number one.

JUST DO NOT MOVE HERE!!! WE HAVE PLENTY !!!!

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by grackle
Texas is by far the worst.  There is no public land available for riding, or anything else for that matter.  You either have to get in good with a land owner, or pay to ride. 

Idaho has more available terrain than anyone could cover in a lifetime.  There are hills, dunes, mountains, desert, and you haven't lived until you've put some screws through your knobbies and gone out on the ice.  Granted, it can get a little cold in the winter, but I'd much rather bundle up and brave 0 degrees for a few months than roast at 110 down here in Texas.

I don't know about that. Personally I'd rather pay a little bit of money ($6-$8) to go ride and have landowners that take care of their property and a place with rules for safety reasons. Believe it or not, there are a few public places but I do not go to them. Marshall Creek (oh wait, I think it cost $2) is DANGEROUS. I've also heard some bad stuff in the past about that other area in The Colony? I can't remember where it was. There used to bea free place at Lake Lavon, it sucked too. Care Flight was out there on a regular basis. Personally, I'd rather stick to an area that is take care of, marked, and has safety rules. Maybe public areas in other parts of the country are better...

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by bills442
Thats it, I'm moving to CA. Anybody need a programer? :=)

Hey, WAIT!!!! I meant to say California has taxes, taxes, and more taxes. Not to mention higher housing prices than you'd ever imagine in Ohio. Crowded freeways, fruits and nuts, crazies everywhere.

And they outlawed computer programming!

Stay away... California is BAD!!!!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Good going Tony, now you did it. :| You just have to know how to DEAL with the fruits and the nuts.;)

Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by Rodzilla
NO GREEN STICKERS...

Hang on now folks! If we're gonna mention stickers, let's get it right. The green stickers have virtually NO restrictions. It's the RED ONES that suck rocks! And yes, it seems that our riding areas shrink on a daily basis, but there are still tons of great riding areas and California offers EVERY kind of terrain and riding condition anyone could ever want.

RatTrap:thumb:

Top Bottom