What is the best state to live in for riding??

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by a454elk
You just have to know how to DEAL with the fruits and the nuts.;)

Well, I prefer to eat them :confused: Very tasty and healthy. Did I mention that California has the largest agricultural economy in the U.S.?

On the green stickers. The money from green sticker fees goes into a fund that SUPPORTS our riding areas. It's actually a plus.

Sure. the tyrants from the state legislature try and steal it, but that's what politicians do. :moon:

bobzilla

Feb 3, 2003
Nevada. No people! No greensticker! No bunny huggers! Trees and tight trails to 100mph desert- 20 mile long sandwashes with no tracks and 90% of the state is govt owned. You can go almost anywhere with anything you want. Best time to ride-- November- late May. Biggest problem-- Cant carry enough fuel. But dont tell the Californians. They think all we have is sand mountain.

Jason81

May 2, 2001
Mr. Bills you turn coat...
There are now 3 tracks in Albuquerque alone. It is true that as a racer you have some driving to do but if you look at the free ridding available it is well worth it. After this weekend I will be racing or taking my son racing to the next 3 weekends before I get a brake. I would also like to mention that my son has also race 4 times in the month of Jan. and Feb.. There are not many places like New Mexico, most easterners would not understand what I mean when I say that once you get out of town there is nothing for a 100 miles.
I was stationed here while in the Air Force 10 years ago and I moved back this past summer. I have ridden every weekend since July of 2002. The biggest drawback is there is now off season to fix your bikes.

Well those are my 2 cents and if you look back on this post you will see me posting from Ohio and I am Bills442's friend that moved out west.... He has seen first hand... and that was just a place 15 minutes down the road from me.

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
I have been riding in Oregon for 4 years now, and love the diversity! You can spend a weekend in central Oregon, where it's all out as fast as you can go. Then turn around the next weekend and hit the coast range, technical hilly, rocky terain. If you really want to you also have several sand area choices on the coast.

If you are interested here is a listing of all the riding areas in Oregon.Oregon Riding Areas

The big drawback here is the weather. It rains all the time in the coast range. Catching the weather right is a skill that hubby and I have yet to master. If and when you do catch it right, there is nothing better. :)

chasejj

Nov 29, 2001
Wow! Diverse opinions out there.
As a California guy I would have to rate California as the tops. Particularly due to the mild climate allows riding virtually all year within reach of the population centers. Green sticker funds also provide smaller parks near where we all live. Not the BEST riding but riding in an hour if you want it.
That said. I would not ever turn down an opportunity to live in either Colorado or Idaho. For my money the best riding, period in spring and summer.The cold winters is all that holds them back from top status.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by FLYIN_KAW
Sorry but there is no best state to ride in. Canada doesn't have states. We have Provinces. :)

Ok, we started out as colonies, then states and territories. Hey, isn't there territories up there still (northwest)?

Maybe we'll have provinces someday.

FLYIN_KAW

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 19, 2000
Yup still territories. Only because no one really wants to live way up there.
You know it is cold when Gas FREEZES. Cheers!!!!

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
our trails would be great here if we had some organised rides, like harescrambles, and BANNED ATVS FOREVER. only thing i dont like besides the atvs, is ive been riding here since i was 6 so i know EVERY trail around here :(

James980

Dec 29, 1999
For both motocross and woods, it is hard to beat Ohio. Plus, if you live in a rural area (as I did when I grew up there), you likely have access to hundreds of acres of trails right out of your garage. (Some don't, of course, but there are many who live out in the Wide Open West who still have to truck their bikes somewhere, even if only 15 minutes away.) Both the off-road and motocross races are well-organized in Districts 11/12 and the promoters really know their stuff.

In that vein, Illinois also is pretty good. There aren't as many open riding areas as there are in Ohio (and the ones we have here are much, MUCH smaller than, say, Wayne), but the sanctioned motocross races are especially well done, and on probably 90% of the race season weekends, you have more than two tracks to choose from.

It depends on what you like, where you live in a particular state, how much of an arse your local sheriff is and who you know.

James

Originally posted by MRRMX
I have ridden in NY, PA, OH, and even though Onatrio,Canada is not a state.
There is some awesome riding to be done in Canada. Out of the 3 states I have ridden in Ohio takes it, due to the legal ride areas. I was shock to see postings about Ohio is the pits for riding. Here in New York we have one State trail to ride on. I never went there due to the stories form fellow riders.
Ohio has Perry State forset, and Wayne National Forest to use. Plus all the dual sport rides down in that area. Plus Ohio has a good number of pay to ride MX tracks. :eek:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
I did a little research

California- 16

California is the capitol of dirt biking?? Hmmmmm…..

Perhaps you need to do a little more. That’s a load of bunk. I’ve personally been riding in more than 16 places in CA. And yes, it is the capitol of dirt bike riding! :)

Farmer John is right. Geez, Glamis alone is over 70,000 acres (rideable), Gorman, over 50,000, any one ever heard of a little thing called the Mojave desert?? :silly:

Year round riding, diversity, number of locations, acreage……….. you’d be hard pressed to beat CA. Nevada is a close 2nd in my opinion.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
For having vast numbers of varied riding areas - CA
For having HUGE riding areas - CA
For being able to ride in perfect weather YEAR round - CA
For having LOTS of MX AND Trailriding opportunities.

Anyone that said Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Texas, Indiana really needs to get out more! If you haven't been to some of the riding areas like they have in CA its really hard to comprehend.

Stickers never hampered or in any way compromised our riding while we lived there so that is nearly a moot point. When its 110 in the desert you wanna ride in the nice cool mountains anyway :)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
GSR, you shoulda let me store your bike here in Cali! We'd probably see you more often!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by TTRGuy :
"For having vast numbers of varied riding areas - CA
For having HUGE riding areas - CA
For being able to ride in perfect weather YEAR round - CA
For having LOTS of MX AND Trailriding opportunities."

Sounds like one o them quanity vs quality arguments.LOL :laugh:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I can vouch for the fact that there are several 'secret' riding spots in California that aren't listed anywhere, as I've stumbled on a few myself.

I'm sure there are great places all over the country, but the point is that in Cali we have both quantity AND quality. Most of the major metropolitan areas of Cali are within 1 hr. of great riding, (tracks are even closer!), and for those of us that live in the high deserts we can roll right out of our garages if we choose.
If it gets too hot down here (summer) we can take a half hour drive to the local mountains and do a little woods riding, or for some real beauty/challenge there's Kennedy Meadows (in the High Sierras) within 3 hrs., so we not only have great variety, but everything is close! (On a side note: KM ranges from 6000-10000 ft. in elevation!)
I'm not bagging on anyone elses favorite local spot, but just supporting what a couple of our well travelled, been everywhere DRNers have stated---we have the best variety AND quanity---you just have to be willing to put up with a few fruits and nuts! :)

FLYIN_KAW

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 19, 2000
Hey Y2Z you ride in the welland area at all?
WE also get out to Turkey Point. If you haven't been there keep an eye out in the places to ride forum. There are rides organized frequently there.
Also the Paragon ride is one not to miss. If you are looking for hill climbs, woods, rock gardens, creek crossings, a weekend of camping with the DRN gang then keep an eye out for this one. May 5 weekend I believe is the first ride to be organized this year.
later
pm me if you want to hook up for a ride this year

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
california has many good riding spots, besides the tuff regulations and such it is awesome, and weather is great in some areas year round so year round riding, there are so many OHVs (off high way viehicle areas) in california i cant even name / know them all shoot theres like 5 just in northern california right around where i live not including Club moto (track about 45 min away)...

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
Originally posted by bobzilla
Nevada. No people! No greensticker! No bunny huggers! Trees and tight trails to 100mph desert- 20 mile long sandwashes with no tracks and 90% of the state is govt owned. You can go almost anywhere with anything you want. Best time to ride-- November- late May. Biggest problem-- Cant carry enough fuel. But dont tell the Californians. They think all we have is sand mountain.

i will say Nevada is pretty cool, ive ridden in Lovelock and outside of reno riding some woods its pretty cool.... lol we even rode our bikes on the road from the hotel to the track in lovelock such a small town no ones around and u can ride almost anywhere.... but its a little dusty to my liking :P

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
OnAnySunday, the quality is there too :)

A couple of other things I thought of is the fact that flying, biting bugs and/or insects are almost non-existant out there. Not a huge deal but man it sure was nice.

Another thing that I really miss is the lack of four-wheelers. Except for the dunes (Pismo etc), everywhere I went bikes outnumbered qwads 50:1, here in MO the places I've been its probably 1:1 or worse and the trails suffer because of it.

Anyone know what the acreage of Jawbone or Cal City is?

OAS - its expensive as all get out and I didn't find the non-riding population very friendly but the riding...oh man!

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Yeah, Southern Culi-forn-ya. But get up early. It's 100 Degrees F by 10 a.m. And don't bother packing your lunch. No fruits and nuts needed. It's all the dust you can eat! Not for everybody, but northern Culi is beautiful, no doubt about it.

I don't think the Wyoming mountains were mentioned yet. Good. My secret place, but don't go there, it really sucks two times worse than Strick's riding hell. Here's a place where backcountry is pure wilderness--and be careful with your lunch, cause the grizzlies may get it. My riding area has no lined phones, cell phones don't work, and groceries are close to 100 miles away. You don't ride here without some kind of map and survival gear. Rarely do you see anybody else--including other riders. Colorado doesn't compare--it's crowded next to this. You want safety? This is not the place for you.

Did somebody say we should rule out the states that are snowed in? Great. Another secret I don't want to let out. MinneSNOWta has 10,000 lakes. Wisconsin has even more. And rivers? Countless. Many of those waters freeze in the winter. The snow sleds pack them down and the riding becomes beautiful for motorcycles. I have some favorite rivers. Many 20 to 40 degree days to ride them. Beats 100 plus degrees days....

Wisconsin--my home state. If you have a trials bike you can ride over the tops of a parade of vehicles with Illinois plates on I-94 coming into Wisconsin from Illinois. You can repeat this sport on the western border where the vehicles entering Wisconsin all have Minnesota plates. Kind of tough to be a favorite Complete State Park for bordering States. But there are some beautiful spots to ride here in the Central sand counties, the Wisconsin Coulees, and even better in the North Woods. I've found our north woods to be better than the Upper Peninsula of Michigan--we have more lakes and trails. But to ride some of those trails you have to be somewhat enterprising. Wisconsin has the welcome mat out for bicyclists and fishermen, etc. etc... etc....not for off road riders. So I do get a little lonely on some of these trails. :thumb:

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by geremacheks
But get up early. It's 100 Degrees F by 10 a.m.

Huh? I don't know how many Wisconsins you can fit in California, but this state has far more varied conditions than Wisconsin.

Yes, it can be dusty and 100 degrees in the clear desert, and 65 degrees and foggy at Pismo Dunes. All at the same time on the same day.

On the other extreme, we never have -40 degrees here any time of the year.

Tony

kevin may

Apr 10, 2003
British Columbia, Hands down.
just went out this past weekend and rode in Kelowna (bear creek, awesome trails & hillclimbs,but we did hit snow) Merritt (dry, great trails, hillclimbs and just plain fun) and Lac le Jeune (snow at higher elev.)
And hardly saw anyone on the trails, and these are popular and easy to get to places.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
--40 degrees? We don't have that either. This last winter was a bit cold, but maybe only one or two days at about 5 above zero. Lots of 30 degree days in the winter, but that can be good riding weather.

Now British Columbia, I'll vote for that.

Top Bottom