slcpunk21

Mar 31, 2003
Ok Guys....here's the boots I'm looking at. Tell me what you guys think

Fox Forma Pro
Alpine Tech 8's
Sidi Force series

I used to be scared of the fox boots, but I was told that adidas is now making their boots for them.

I've heard nothing but good things about the tech 8's

I have used sidi's product before...they make really nice stuff...but have not experience with their motocross boots.

Or if there are any others you all think I should look at let me know. Thanks!!

Superchief

Feb 11, 2003
I just purchased the sidi flex force srs boots and must say while these are the first boots i've ever bought i was very impressed with the comfort, fit and support that these boots have. DRN has a write up on them in the DRN tested section of this site, think they have the alpine stars too. Not really all that crazy about the alpine stars.....my buddy broke his ankle with a set of the tech 8's.Guess the one thing to remember is you only get what you pay for but if that's true why are the alpine stars $300 and my buddy's ankle is pinned and plated together....hmmmmm.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Cast my vote for the tech8's.. Had the forma comps and couldn't stand them, they tore, buckles came un latched.. I've had 0 problems w/my tech8's..
Rick

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I have Tech 8's and really like them

I have heard good things about Sidi.

I here that the Fox boots come apart somwhere around the sole or ankle.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by Superchief
I just purchased the sidi flex force srs boots and must say while these are the first boots i've ever bought i was very impressed with the comfort, fit and support that these boots have. DRN has a write up on them in the DRN tested section of this site, think they have the alpine stars too. Not really all that crazy about the alpine stars.....my buddy broke his ankle with a set of the tech 8's.Guess the one thing to remember is you only get what you pay for but if that's true why are the alpine stars $300 and my buddy's ankle is pinned and plated together....hmmmmm.

They are, in fact, only a boot, and at best only a deterence againt injury, I'm not sure of the mechanics of your friends injury, but I'm willing to guess he would have suffered the same fate or worse in any other boot.

I have the Tech 8's, and have had no problem with them, they are a good high quality boot. I have also heard a lot of good things about the Sidi's, which do have a stiffer sole (as well as an even stiffer changeable sole model) than the Tech 8's. I don't know about the new Fox's, but the ones I've been around in the last couple of years aren't even in the same league as the Sidi's and AS's. Between the Sidi's & AS's try them on, and then decide by comfort and cost.
Good Luck :thumb:

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I've had nothing but Alpinestars Tech 6's and 8's over the past five years. Switched to Sidi this year and I'm very happy I did. Not that there's anything wrong with the AStars, just for me the Sidi Flex Force SRS offered more support, greater flexibility, a fully replaceable sole, and fit better than anything I've ever worn.

You won't go wrong with either though.

Rev

Mar 6, 2001
I just got Oxtar Pro`s Very nice boot, Lot`s of adjustments for support and has the already broken in fit.I would recomend taking a look at that boot before buying antthing else.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I'd definitely recommend the Sidi's. I bought a pair over a year ago and they're the best boots I've ever owned. I tried on a new pair of Tech 8's when I tried on the Sidi's. I'd say the comfort is about the same once they're on, but the Sidi's were much easier to get in and out of (no bootie to deal with). When moving around in both boots, the Sidi's definitely felt more rigid and secure. The ankle hinge is a nice feature and you can also adjust the calf size if you wear knee braces.

TooBadBrad

Jan 31, 2003
I have tech 6's, and while they are very comfortable, they leak water very easily no matter what I put on them. Even a couple of good splashes leaves you with wet feet. I'm going back to the old steel plate High Points

sweden_345

Jul 17, 2002
I dont know what Big Tuna have got his facts from but the Sidi flex force have as good ankel support as the tech 8's if not more
A + is that the flex force is much more lighter and slimer around the leg and foot than any other boot

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by sweden_345
I dont know what Big Tuna have got his facts from but the Sidi flex force have as good ankel support as the tech 8's if not more
A + is that the flex force is much more lighter and slimer around the leg and foot than any other boot

Sweden, you must have taken me out of context, Idid not say that A-stars had better ankle support than the Sidis or that the Sidis had better ankle support than the A-stars, what I said was if the friend got hurt in Tech 8's that he "probably"(I don't know the whole story) would have got hurt just as bad (Sidis) or worse (some cheaper modle boots). I actually give the stiff soles on the Sidis a big thumbs up :thumb: seeing as I tore both of my achilles wearing floppy soled AXO RC 4's, and may actually give them a try in the future.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
do they make a SIDI boot that's the same boot with a more flexible sole? I'm not sure I would like a stiff sole, I weigh 155 and don't want any more shock transmitted to my knees than necessary. Haven't ever had a problem with my feet.

The stiff soles sound great for heavier people, those with foot problems or those with older bikes with narrow footpegs.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
mm, the regular soled Sidi's are stiffer than the Tech 8's, but aren't as stiff as the changeable ones. I think that they were designed eith SX in mind.

Superchief

Feb 11, 2003
i have the the flex force srs (interchangeable sole). While these are the first pair of boots i've ever owned and can't compare them to the " cheaper" boots i like the way the stiff sole feels. it's almost like walking and having no feeling in your feet. i find it comfortable....others may not.....best thing to do is try a pair on ( whatever brand you buy) and see which one you like best. i've managed to avoid any serious injury while i've been riding for over 20 yrs......i just can't belive that you pay that much for supposedly one of the best boots made and you wind up like my buddy. while i realize they won't stop injuries ....they should prevent ankle and calf injury or what's the since in having them.

meangreen 67

Apr 16, 2003
I own the Fox Forma Pro and they are excellent boots. I decided to go with them mainly because I wear Fox gear. I'm glad I did, although I'm sure the Tech 6's are good too. I never considered the Tech 8's because I didn't want a 'bootie' boot.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by Superchief
i have the the flex force srs (interchangeable sole). While these are the first pair of boots i've ever owned and can't compare them to the " cheaper" boots i like the way the stiff sole feels. it's almost like walking and having no feeling in your feet. i find it comfortable....others may not.....best thing to do is try a pair on ( whatever brand you buy) and see which one you like best. i've managed to avoid any serious injury while i've been riding for over 20 yrs......i just can't belive that you pay that much for supposedly one of the best boots made and you wind up like my buddy. while i realize they won't stop injuries ....they should prevent ankle and calf injury or what's the since in having them.

Sc, Shoei, and Arai make some of the best helmets out there at up to and over $1000 Can. but they are not going to "prevent" noth'n they are there to minimize the damage when your melon hits the turf at 30 mph. Same goes for the boots, if the impact is severe enough, the only thing you can hope for is the least amount of damage possible, and the Tech 8's and Sidi FF are quite compareable as far as protection goes. It comes down to personal prefference and price after that.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have worn the Sidi (SRS sole) boots for over a year now and really like them. I had to borrow a pair of boots this weekend to ride (AS 4's), and although they were extremely comfortable (felt like tennis shoes), I felt extremely vulnerable while wearing them. One thing that is a SERIOUS plus for me is that the customer support from Motonation \ Sidi goes above and beyond to satisfy the customer. They have sent me multiple, replacement buckles at no charge whatsoever, and even completely warranted and\or replaced my one-year old boots with a brand-new pair after the sole started to seperate. They even went so far as to give me the non-SRS soled boots. Each of the individuals that I spoke with throughout the process worked with me and kept me notified of their decisions (even provided a tracking # for the new boots being shipped to me). The only expense incurred on my part throughout this process was the initial price ($12) of shipping my boots to Sidi for inspection. I wore AS tech 7's for 3 years before trying the Sidi boots, and have no plans to purchase any other brand than the Sidi's.

slcpunk21

Mar 31, 2003
WOW, thanks for all the info guys! I'm deffinately going to give them all a try, but right now from all the things most have you have told me about the sidi's I'm kinda leaning towards them. But wont have a final desicion till I actually try them all on.

Again, great info! Thanks

Just gotta find the time to get to the shop to try em on. hahaha

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
so Lorin, you have had a chance to try bothe the SRS soles and the "non-SRS" soles...which do you like better/please compare?

cheers!

fastoneyz426

Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by slcpunk21
Ok Guys....here's the boots I'm looking at. Tell me what you guys think

Fox Forma Pro
Alpine Tech 8's
Sidi Force series

I used to be scared of the fox boots, but I was told that adidas is now making their boots for them.

I've heard nothing but good things about the tech 8's

I have used sidi's product before...they make really nice stuff...but have not experience with their motocross boots.

Or if there are any others you all think I should look at let me know. Thanks!!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I havent had a chance to actually try my new, non-SRS boots yet, as I am in the process of moving and probably wont be riding again for a week or two. I am looking forward to trying out the different soles, though. On the SRS soles, I really liked that they were narrower than a standard boot (not much sole protruding outside the boot edge), but they were definately stiffer (took me awhile to get the "feel" of the brake and shifter again). With that said, I am hoping that the non-SRS will be a little easier to use, while still providing the same ankle support. I will try to remember to post back after the first few rides.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I have the Sidi FF SRS boots and love them. The stiff sole was a concern at first but after riding in them I could not even feel the landings (i.e. no impact). And on hard landings my feet were not injured at all.

3 things to consider though...while the ankle flex allows a virtually no break in time type boot, it doesn't do a good job of keeping your foot from being slammed upward. If you ride with the balls of your feet and case a jump, the flexible ankle will give because its meant to. Second, the boot seems to be designed for a slim foot not a wide foot like the AS's. I happen to have a slim foot so they fit great. and lastly, they wreak havoc on your bike frame and airbox because the upper boot is not leather. Frame guards are a must with these boots.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Ditto what SpectraSVT said about the effect Sidi FlexForce boots have on the bike. They really do wear the paint and plastic. I have a pair of pretty big size 12D feet and they feel great to me (the boots that is...I've grown used to the feet as well :-)

Top Bottom