09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Yam7M said:

It is against AMA rules for a minicycle to compete on the same track/race course as a motorcycle. A minicycle is defined by the AMA as a bike that measures under a 51 inch wheelbase, per the manufacturers listing. (Please remember that the FES does not run under the AMA umbrella and can make classes as they see fit......further, as a HS is considered a "track", and the AMA is clear that a minicycle and a motorcycle can not compete on a race track at the same time.....where as an enduro is considered a trail, so different rules apply sometimes).

So what does this mean for our combined OMA/D14 events??

OMA ran minicycles with motorcycles on the Saturday event for the teams and it was not cool.

Will D14 allow this to happen again?

I would like to see D14 tell OMA that that condition is not allowed in future combined events.

Let it be known, I rode solo for that one.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Yam7M said:
It is against AMA rules for a minicycle to compete on the same track/race course as a motorcycle. A minicycle is defined by the AMA as a bike that measures under a 51 inch wheelbase, per the manufacturers listing. (Please remember that the FES does not run under the AMA umbrella and can make classes as they see fit......further, as a HS is considered a "track", and the AMA is clear that a minicycle and a motorcycle can not compete on a race track at the same time.....where as an enduro is considered a trail, so different rules apply sometimes).

It is true that the FES is not an AMA sanctioned series. However, if a family enduro were to be run as an AMA event, we have received clarification from the AMA that the minicycle/motorcycle rule would not apply to an enduro.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
09oneL said:

OMA ran minicycles with motorcycles on the Saturday event for the teams and it was not cool.

I would like to see D14 tell OMA that that condition is not allowed in future combined events.

I guess if you wanted to make a stink over it {Knowing Bill Gussy & AMA history} he would just simply eliminate the class without blinking an eye. So the question is....Does it really matter?...It's not like there is any kind of rider turn out on the Saturday program anyways....

bermbuster100

Nov 24, 2009
Good points about the new womens class. I would be concerned with their safety. There appear to be a lot of MX cross overs that found their way into HS and unlike enduro guys, they lack the courtesy and respect that it takes to pass people. I too am concerned about the safety for the new womens class.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
09oneL said:

Fred,

The OMA is run under their rules, first and foremost. We are riding on their coat tails for that event. It is their event, so we can't tell them what their rules are going to be. Not sure if we are having a combined effort with them this year or just doing a D14 race. I know you're feelings, and don't disagree with you....except that going off and telling a MI club that we aren't going to support them just isn't in the cards right now.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
fatherandson said:
It is true that the FES is not an AMA sanctioned series. However, if a family enduro were to be run as an AMA event, we have received clarification from the AMA that the minicycle/motorcycle rule would not apply to an enduro.

That is true Mike. An enduro has special limitations due to the course not being deemed a "race course/race track". It's considered a one way point-to-point trail, and therefore handle bar to handle bar racing is most likely not going to happen between a rider on a minicycle and a rider on a motorcycle. At a HS, it will happen, therefore it's not allowed.

It's strictly for safety reasons and applies to both men/boys & women/girls.

wellhead

Jun 22, 2007
oma

IF its an OMA next year we will run the team class on Sunday in the main race just like in a d14 race. We tried to do this at the last minute this year. Gusse will still run team -schoolboy race on Saturday also. His team on Sat is just for fun and you ride with the kids. Not sure yet if it's OMA or just D14 yet.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
wellhead said:
IF its an OMA next year we will run the team class on Sunday in the main race just like in a d14 race. We tried to do this at the last minute this year. Gusse will still run team -schoolboy race on Saturday also. His team on Sat is just for fun and you ride with the kids. Not sure yet if it's OMA or just D14 yet.

Wellhead,
You are correct. I forgot about the fact that there was an effort to run teams on Sunday and the only reason it did not fly was there was a few team riders that were planning to ride a Enduro on Sunday and the last minute change would have ruined there plans.

DW is also correct in the fact that the saturday 1 hour team race does not draw many riders. I do think if it were held on Sunday we would have good team participation. It does matter though because I was not comfortable riding and passing small kids on minibikes I ended up crashing in an attempt to avoid one of the little riders.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
bermbuster100 said:
Good points about the new womens class. I would be concerned with their safety. There appear to be a lot of MX cross overs that found their way into HS and unlike enduro guys, they lack the courtesy and respect that it takes to pass people. I too am concerned about the safety for the new womens class.
FWIW the rider passing thingy isn't anymore aggressive in one series compared to the other. For the most part there are a lot of enduro riders that race the hare scrambles series as well....You have nothing to worry about at the HS events. The faster riders can be heard for a distance behind you! So there is PLENTY of time to look for a safe area to slide on over. Most of the fast guys jump off trail to go around ya anyways... {Others just cut course claiming a Ray Charles moment :coocoo: }. I suspect that It would actually be more intimidating for ya sitting on the starting line next to a bunch of orange guys, all dressed up in the same color of gear of course {Whom by the way only ride orange for sense of acceptance and for a need to belong} than it is competing on the course. So just do it :cool:

PS. By the way boneheads, remember my bike is white/titanium/blk & red :nener:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Wolverine423 said:
I suspect that It would actually be more intimidating for ya sitting on the starting line next to a bunch of orange guys, all dressed up in the same color of gear of course {Whom by the way only ride orange for sense of acceptance and for a need to belong}

Truer words have never been spoken... :rotfl:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Wolverine423 said:
PS. By the way boneheads, remember my bike is white/titanium/blk & red :nener:

Translation: By the way dummies, I don't go to races anymore; I just talk smack here on DRN.

:cool:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
bermbuster100 said:

I appreciate the concern, but we'll be fine. I have raced on the track with a lot of the top guys in the State some of them who are Pro. I haven't been killed yet. I hold my line and IF I roll a jump I stay on the side and don't roll in the middle.

We're not all dainty little flowers, we'll be alright :cool:
Phil isn't worried about me at all. :nod: He'll even stick me out there on his YZ250.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
UP Magoo said:
Translation: By the way dummies, I don't go to races anymore; I just talk smack here on DRN.

:nod: :laugh:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
UP Magoo said:

I know you guys miss me :nod:. I miss seeing all you guys too! I've been at this game since I was 7 yrs old - I needed to take a break last season for several reasons. Although I hit 3 races, sooooo that should qualify me for a little smack down time shouldn't it? :) I just knew I'd strike some nerves with the orange comment, but wasn't expecting to catch a trophy like yourself. Shat your even faster than Freddy on the keyboard too :nener:

By the way muddy YOU have been talking more shat and whining on this thread then everyone put together. :cool: Glad you like to play along.

iroc8210

Jun 26, 2006
Wolverine423 said:
By the way muddy YOU have been talking more shat and whining on this thread then everyone put together. :cool: Glad you like to play along.

We're dragging Muddy out to the enduros next year! Its already been established! I'm forcing her into a hare scramble too...hopefully the target won't be too big on her back! :nod:

Last edited:

bermbuster100

Nov 24, 2009
MXGirl230 said:
I appreciate the concern, but we'll be fine. I have raced on the track with a lot of the top guys in the State some of them who are Pro. I haven't been killed yet. I hold my line and IF I roll a jump I stay on the side and don't roll in the middle.

We're not all dainty little flowers, we'll be alright :cool:
Phil isn't worried about me at all. :nod: He'll even stick me out there on his YZ250.

There is a big difference with moto and HS. There is typically plenty of places to pass on a moto track. However when you get in the woods and you have a bunch of screaming "M" and "team" riders trying to get around you, it can be a bit intimidating. I say screaming because a lot of them dont like to wait till there is an open spot for us to pull over and they prefer to yell instead.

I'm not saying women belong in the kitchen or holding a gas can when the guys are racing, I have just seen too many "hot heads" that dont have a clue when it comes to getting around people in the woods.

Be safe

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Wolverine423 said:

When my chain gets jerked I can squawk plenty, otherwise I stay in my little crab people hole and lurk. Just because I don't compete much doesn't mean I have a pink bike with sparkly tassels, I just like peace and quite and that's why I mostly trail ride. When I'm not riding I'm working on the trails and if you don't like the changes to the Tomahawk trails you can kiss my azz (and stay on the GD trail!!!)! I'm going to try real hard to make several enduros and at least one HS event this coming season. If I don't, I'll never hear the end of it from Cori and Lou Ann! :rotfl:

Hope all you turkeys have a great holiday weekend! :cool:

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
MuddyBuddy said:
I'm going to try real hard to make several enduros and at least one HS event this coming season. If I don't, I'll never hear the end of it from Cori and Lou Ann! :rotfl:

Make sure to post which HS event you're going to attend....I'll have some complementary MS and DW Fan Club T-shirts made up for you ladies to wear. :) And in the spirit of fairness, I'll gladly don a I "heart" MuddyBuddy sticker on my front fender.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
MuddyBuddy said:
I'm working on the trails and if you don't like the changes to the Tomahawk trails you can kiss my azz (and stay on the GD trail!!!)!
What is this all about?? Care to elaborate? I don't know who may have me mixed up with.....But I don't and have not complained about any of the Michigan trail system! I love the sand the whoops the rock the wash outs the roots, Upper Mi - Lower Mi ect....Also FWIW I don't care if you race or trail ride or rake leaves or play lawn darts.....:coocoo: And no you have it all wrong red, ain't nobody kissing your azz.

DW

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Wolverine423 said:
FWIW the rider passing thingy isn't anymore aggressive in one series compared to the other. For the most part there are a lot of enduro riders that race the hare scrambles series as well....You have nothing to worry about at the HS events. The faster riders can be heard for a distance behind you! So there is PLENTY of time to look for a safe area to slide on over. Most of the fast guys jump off trail to go around ya anyways... {Others just cut course claiming a Ray Charles moment :coocoo: }. I suspect that It would actually be more intimidating for ya sitting on the starting line next to a bunch of orange guys, all dressed up in the same color of gear of course {Whom by the way only ride orange for sense of acceptance and for a need to belong} than it is competing on the course. So just do it :cool:

Thanks for stating what should be obvious. It's as though some think that all of the enduro riders have halo's over their heads and never get impatient while trying to pass another rider. Any rational thinking person who is actually being honest and not being driven by an aggenda would understand that there are aggressive racers in both series. There is passing and sometimes it gets aggressive, regardless if it's at an enduro or a HS. It is a race, right? No one intentionally puts anyone on the ground. But to assert that there aren't scenarios where two motorcycles are trying to occupy a space that only one will fit it during an enduro, because they all play nice and are patient and sing songs while holding hands afterwords, is just silly.

There are aggressive riders in both series and aggressive passes at both types of events. I can't believe that someone would try and sell that load of manure.

The difference in rules (as far as the AMA's rules and allowances are concerned) aren't based on a notion that enduro riders play nice and don't make aggressive passes....it's based on the idea that the riders are more spread out at an enduro, and that the trail is more of a point-point course.....versus a HS being a track, where bar-bar racing will happen.

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Wolverine423 said:
What is this all about?? Care to elaborate? I don't know who may have me mixed up with.....But I don't and have not complained about any of the Michigan trail system! I love the sand the whoops the rock the wash outs the roots, Upper Mi - Lower Mi ect....Also FWIW I don't care if you race or trail ride or rake leaves or play lawn darts.....:coocoo: And no you have it all wrong red, ain't nobody kissing your azz.

DW

Hmmm must be that relevancy thing again. Sue me.

You're sadly mistaken if you think I was speaking to you and only you. I'm speaking to anyone who doesn't like the changes to the trails and I have HUGE issues with anyone who routinely cuts corners while trail riding. If you have a guilty conscience, so be it, but I was not singling you out.

iroc8210

Jun 26, 2006
MuddyBuddy said:
Hmmm must be that relevancy thing again. Sue me.

You're sadly mistaken if you think I was speaking to you and only you. I'm speaking to anyone who doesn't like the changes to the trails and I have HUGE issues with anyone who routinely cuts corners while trail riding. If you have a guilty conscience, so be it, but I was not singling you out.

I blame MuddyBuddy for my lack or performance this year. Just getting into the whole enduro thing (FES) I hear her yelling at me and see her beating me with a baseball bat every time I cut the trail or pass someone through a different line. The nightmares she is responsible for are overwhelming.

Fanclub shirts...pffft! :nener:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom