kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Ok I jsut started riding again after 16 YRs. Seems like as a kid I let the engine tell me. I am currently on a RM 125 with a FMF pipe and all that. Louder than I remeber!

Anyway I have been having a good time, but is there a rule of thumb as to how long to stay in a gear with the throttle pegged.

Any advice would help.

Sincerely,

Riz

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
I was kind of hoping for a little more info. I know it seems ridiculous but just checking to see if there are any rules as to how many seconds per gear with the throttle wide out. Or along those lines.

Sincerely,

Riz

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
basically the best time to shift is when it keeps revving but doesnt go any faster...i dont really know any better way to put it. you want to be in the powerband, but since bikes dont have tach's you cant ever be positive exactly when to shift, jsut experiment and find what works best. its been 16 years...it'll all come back with time

spt23dc

Sep 22, 2001
Same as the old days! Its all in your ear. No seconds to count. Just pull the throttle and shift before the engine falls flat (meaning before the rpms climb w/o producing power) You know all of this and it will come back the more you become familiar with your bike

spt23dc

Sep 22, 2001
Thats it...R White has got it! Best answer for you yet, "When it no longer feels like it wants to spit you off upshift! lol!:confused:

msomso

Sep 17, 2001
If your track is a SX style you should be in 1st 2nd in corners and and 3rd 4th straights most of the time.
If outdoor, you'll use all gears.

Remeber, remming the heck out of it sounds nice, but you'll typically go faster if in higher gear. Unless your bogging it.

Let the bike pull. When done right, you won't even hear the shifting!

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
you could, im sure the thought has crossed a lot of our minds...but i dont think you would really have time to keep an eye on it like you would in a car

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
In first gear your bike should do a power wheelie, when the front end comes down that is when the motor starts running flat, you want to shift when the wheel is at its highest point and go by ear from there to 2nd 3rd etc....

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
It's all by ear,just like a guitar can find that prefect C note without a tuner,
keep it shape,crisp and on the pipe

Anssi

May 20, 2001
It's not a huge step from a tacho to shift lights, which I'm sure could be followed while riding (say, one green led, two yellow and a red one). However, I don't think this would be much of a benefit to any rider with a bit of experience.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
There's a point at which the engine revs to the moon, but you feel the bike isn't pulling as hard. This is probably the time to shift. I never rev my 250 out all the way, I'm usually in the corner by then and have to brake :)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by FMX_novice
In first gear your bike should do a power wheelie, when the front end comes down that is when the motor starts running flat, you want to shift when the wheel is at its highest point and go by ear from there to 2nd 3rd etc....

Power wheelie? Maybe if you weigh 140lbs!!!:eek:

Top Bottom