wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm 38yrs old, 6'2" & 220lbs without gear, a "C" trails rider who also enjoys MX tracks. I currently have a KDX200 with lots of mods. I rode a YZ250F last year and it spoiled me forever...I am interested in getting a modern 4-stroke because of its enhanced suspension and incredible power delivery.

I want to get better at dirt riding and my gut tells me that it will be easier to go faster on a 4-stroke. I've heard all of the arguments about their maintenance, and I don't mean to start a 2 vs 4 stroke argument here.

I've read great things about the CRF250X but I'm not sure if the bike is well suited to my size. On the other hand, I think the CRF450X could be a bear in tight trails. I've heard similar things about the WR250/WR450.

What bike should I look at for my next purchase?

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
coming off of a kdx,I think you would like a wr 250f a whole bunch. they are tractable,easy to ride but they still have good power. If you want some more power as you progress,slap a powernow valve and an fmf q pipe on and your good to go!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
No offense, but you honestly sound like the perfect candidate for something like a KTM250MXC or GasGas XC250 (both two-strokes). More power than a 250F yet more manageable than a 450.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
A 250 two stroke woods bike is an excelent choice imho, but if you must have a thumper I think a 250F like a CRF250X (my top recomendation) or a WR250F would be an exclent choice. A good frind of mine is a very experence A/AA rider and about your size (perhaps a tad heavier). He has always ridden 250 2-strokes or open 4 strokes but recently bought a CRF250X and absolutely loves it. He says its super easy to ride, handles great and has more than enough power to get the job done.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

I've always had 2-strokes so this is a tough decision for me, but my gut tells me it will be less work (read 'easier') to go fast on something like a CRF250X. I had as much confidence trail riding on a YZ250F after 5 minutes on it as I did on my KDX200 with 1.5 years on it!!!

It appears that ultra-competitive woods racers benefit from powerful 2-strokes, but since I'm not in that category, maybe a smooth 4-stroke is in order??? (Yes I know that lots of GNCC racers use 4-strokes...)

If I do get another 2-stroke, it will likely be a KTM, maybe one of their new XC models coming out later this year. But I have read nothing but good things about the 250X, so it is hard to not consider it. I need to find someone locally with an X...

Top Bottom