• Buy the Ford

Votes: 72 39.3%
  • Buy something else...

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
I'm sick of repairing the E4OD in my 93 E-350 (460cid) van. I looked back in this forum 4 months or so and didn't find a similar post so here goes...

What new truck should I buy???
  • I am planning to get a 2wd diesel one ton crewcab pickup
  • I have no brand loyalty
  • My priorities are 1) Reliability, 2) Abundant pulling power (but doesn't have to be class leader), 3) Fuel economy, 4) Passenger comfort, 5)Maintenance cost / complexity, 6) Purchase Price, 7) Style
  • I will use the truck primarilly for towing my 21ft Toy Box type trailer. This trailer is a load for my 460 up hills.
  • I keep my vehicles for a long time.
[edit]One more thing, any strong opinions on transmissions? I'm thinking manual after my trauma with the E4OD. There is a stupid high price difference for the auto too. I get stuck in stop and go traffic and that is the only reason I'd go auto - my lovely and talented wife and I are both expert clutch pushers.[/edit] :thumb:

Last edited:

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
My dad just recently made a purchase such as yours but 4 by 4. He what we found out and what we got. Dodge full load without leather was 6000$ more then the chev full load without leather and the ford was the same price almost as the chev. We ended but buying the chev just because the deal delt with us and also put the 6 speed allision trans in it. The result a true chev fan born.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We have an '04 F350 6.0L Powerstroke crew cab auto 4x4 Lariat - and we couldn't be any happier with a truck. Picked it up early September and I think we already have 12,000 miles on it. Prior to the '04, we had an '00 F250 7.3L Powerstroke super cab auto 4x4 Lariat (120,000 miles and sold it for $18,000 in September '03).

The new 6.0L engine is very torquey and full of HP compared to the 7.3L. The 6.0L feels like a Mustang GT when you push the pedal - it'll throw ya back in your seat. It's also VERY quiet, so quiet that you can barely tell it's a diesel sometimes. I know the older Dodges were extremely loud, not sure on the new Cummings motor.

The new 5-speed auto transmission is awesome as well! We weren't that happy with the 4-speed auto in the '00 (it shifted hard at times and also lugged at times), but after 120k miles (probably half the miles pulling a 24' race trailer) we never had any tranny problems or ANY problems for that matter. The '00 was as solid as can be! But the new 5-speed shifts like a dream both with and without a trailer. The trailer tow button alters the shift pattern so it'll shift at higher RPMs, but all 5 gears are still used. We now pull a 26' Toy Hauler and you can't even tell it's back there. I have no problems zipping along at 75-80 mph with the trailer. We get 13-15 mpg with the trailer and 18-20 mpg without. We have also pulled some heavier stuff with both the '00 and '04 with no problems, like Bobcats and tractors.

The Ford crew cab is VERY roomy and comfortable. My uncle has basically the same truck, except a Chevy, and it's not as roomy inside. Red is 6'4" and he is more cramped in the Chevy - especially in the front seat in the head room and leg room areas. The back seat area is similar though, except the Ford may have more head room and maybe be a hair wider. I'm not sure about the Dodge interior.

Another thing to consider is resale. When we listed our '00 at autotrader.com for $18,000 (and 120,000 miles) - we had at least 30-40 calls from coast to coast in a matter of 2-3 weeks. From our experiences, Chevy diesels have a decent resale as well, but Dodge isn't as strong.

Might want to consider a 4x4 as well. I know there have been times in wet grass (like pit areas at the track) where we have needed to kick it into 4WD because the rear tires like to spin. Even when pulling the trailer. And this might happen even more so in the diesel because the front end is heavier and the back doesn't have near as much weight on it. Although we have friends with an '03 F250 gas crew cab 4x4 and they say theirs spins like this as well.

Good luck!

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The current leader in quietness is a very strong Dodge. Extremely quiet, makes the ford, even theGM duramax, sound like a rattle trap.

The Crew cab version of dodge still isn't a real crew cab. Doesn't work like a 4 door car.

I would opt for the simplicity and time earned reputation of the 5.9 cummins motor to be the most dependable powerplant. The preferred transmission on the dodge is the manual as they still haven't figured out how to build/buy a better transmission. The latest version of their 4 speed auto is supposed to be better but who wants to test that out?

Both Ford and GM use a v8 that is pretty new to the market. The parts and pieces have no long term history.

My sources all seem to think that the dodge is nearly the cheapest. Easy to check. I am going to vote dodge.

The best thing you can do is go test drive them all. The items you describe as priorities are easily observed if you go for a ride.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Go check each one out for yourself you might find something that really bugs you about any of them. In a crewcab dually you really only have the GM or Ford to pick from as the Dodge is not really a crew cab when compared to the other two. Engine choice is another mess all together. The Dodge has lost of time on the basic design but the fuel system is totally new and their history of transmission problems with both the auto & stick are well known across the various truck sites. The Chevy is an Isuzu design and seems to have most of the bugs worked out now but I really would like to see more trucks with high miles on them. Pretty much the same goes for the Ford. If I HAD to pick I think I would choose the Ford because of the positive experiences I've had with all my Fords to this point and the negative GM experiences I've had in the past. The Dodge would be a close second but next time around I REALLY want a full crew cab so that takes it out of the running. I also have the highest respect for what GasGasMan has to say about the kinks in the Ford being worked out as he has the inside scoop and is a straight shooter.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
For a true daily driver 2wd that really has to carry 4+ adults I'd get the GM truck - and I'm on my second Dodge CTD. If your requirements change to 4wd then I'd say the Ford. Unfortunately, Dodge just doesn't have a true crew cab:( I really like the Cummins (no g, nikki:) ) but I wouldn't put an enemy in the back seat of a Dodge for any extended amount of time. We've had 6 adults in my buddy's crew cab '01 GMC and we were all comfortable - I'm 6'4", my wife is 5'11", the owner is 6'3".

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the trucks if you are using it within it's stated design parameters - except for towing at GCWR with a Dodge auto.

Brian

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
If you dont do a large amount of in-town driving, I would go with the manual transmission; it works well when towing through the mountains, etc (ie, Colorado, Utah) and spares the brakes a little more. I am a strong fan of the Ford trucks, although the 2wd can get stuck relatively easily due to the front end weight bias. Most of the people I'm around that have diesel trucks drive the Ford (only one with the chevy duramax). There are a bunch of aftermarket parts available for the ford as well, and they respond well to them.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
^^^^^ Me ???? ^^^^^ or are there more?

I have 4x4 crew cab '03 Sierra 2500HD shortbed with the Duramax/Allison. Great truck IMHO. I have always heard good things about Ford, but with all the problems I saw in them as a kid and the fact that I have always been a GM man, I went back to them when I came back stateside.

I wonder about Dodge because they always manage to undercut both GM and Ford in pricing. It can't all be because they leave 6 inches out of the back set of doors.

Regarding towing, the Allison cannot be beat. It does most of the work for you, downshifting when you tap the brakes when you are in tow/haul, etc.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
I picked up a towing brochure at FoMoCo dealer last night. It looks like the F350 and F250 have identical towing capacity.

Does anyone know what is different between the 1 ton and 3/4 ton? Is it just bed load capacity? Do they have the same brakes? Give as much technical data as you can.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
F350 typically has a Dana rear and the F250 a Sterling
F350 has heavier springs because of the heavier payload
F350 has "F350" badges and F250 has "F250" badges :laugh:

With so many different combinations of chassis, drivetrain & payload options not to mention DRW and SRW the minutia of details could be a bit lengthy.

I have a F250 and to be quite honest it's plenty for most situations but next time around I'll have a F350 crewcab dually just to have all my bases covered.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Patman
but next time around I'll have a F350 crewcab dually just to have all my bases covered.

Like you're not over-compensating enough?? :laugh: That F250 of yours having problems pulling your offshore seadoo powerboat? ;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
No but the 12,000# of rock was a bit more than I really needed to pull with it. Then there was the mega-size skid loader on and HD trailer that was about 14,000# that would have been nice to have dual rear wheels for stability. Pulling a 27' travel trailer with the bed and cab loaded with 3 bikes and gear was not something I would have enjoyed if I had to pull the trailer more than the 2 hours I did.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
1. I am planning to get a 2wd diesel one ton crewcab pickup-
Ford has the best Cab space, yet like Nikki I recomend the 4x4. Wet grass is your enemy when not loaded ;)
2. I have no brand loyalty-
I have put about 300,000 miles on 3 different Dodges and have yet to have any problems caused by the Truck. Note, I would not even think about buying a Dodge Gas motor vehicle!
3. My priorities are;
•1) Reliability , Cummins/Dodge is proven as a 300,000 mile motor
•2) Abundant pulling power (but doesn't have to be class leader), The Cummins HO has ample pulling power!
•3) Fuel economy, Cummins gets great mileage, there are a couple threads that can answer the mileage questions!
•4) Passenger comfort , Ford, the ford nack seat is huge
•5)Maintenance cost / complexity , Dodge, I change the oil and drive, no other concerns
•6) Purchase Price , Dodge will be a lot less than a ford or chevy
•7) Style , Dodge looks dam good!!

My vote Thus is 6/1, therefore Dodge wins :thumb:

Also I'm a big fan of manual transmissions and to be completely honest, if I could afford any truck, it would be the Ford F-350 Crew Cab. To me the room in the cab is going to be the make or brake decision for me and my family!
If I didn't need the crew cab, it would be an easy choice for another extra cab Dodge!

Last edited:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by Tony Eeds
^^^^^ Me ???? ^^^^^ or are there more?

I have 4x4 crew cab '03 Sierra 2500HD shortbed with the Duramax/Allison. Great truck IMHO. I have always heard good things about Ford, but with all the problems I saw in them as a kid and the fact that I have always been a GM man,

I have the opposite experience of Tony. I am completely pleased with the 2 Ford Powerstrokes that I have owned. I hear good things about the Chevy, but my experience with GM at this time precludes GM from my choice. I have also logged many miles in the back seat of both the Ford and GM crew-cabs and the Ford is MUCH more comfortable. The Chevy seems nicer amenity wise though.... The Dodge (except for the tranny as mentioned) is a solid performer, but I don't have any experience with the crew-cab and it's ergonomics.

Good luck and like Patman said... drive 'em all and see what feels good to you. And as we always say here about motorcycles, take your dealer's reputation into consideration as well, that could be a deciding factor as well.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yes, the frame is shared, but the 350 will have larger brakes and heavier suspension.

I like the 7.3 as it is proven reliable and power upgrades get it to 725 ft/lbs of torque w/ 370-380 hp w/out any turbo or exhaust changes...I like it. Plus my 7.3 is still getting 17-19mpg. Cab comfort is top notch, w/ the Chevy close behind for our groups tastes.

I realyy enjoy the ride quality of both the Ford and Chevy, w/ a nod going to the Ford. The last Dodge I rode in was a 96, then a 02, both of which rode ok, but in 4x4 configuration were a little rough. Plus I never got very comfortable in the Dodge's seats. As far as looks, I prefer the coolness factor of the Ford

Definitely go 4x4 though as all of these trucks are frontheavy from the diesel. Fact is they are all good.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
CR Swade does the 350 have bigger brakes all around or just on one end?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My vote is for the PowerStroke, I owned a F-350 gasser for many years, great truck.. My parents are in a camping club and visit alot of RV parks throughout the year, mostly PowerStrokes that are the workhorses.. Also, i build city buses, have talked too the Detriot Diesel svc tech, he says that the noise can be programmed out.. As Nikki has said though, the 6.0 is quiet.. We're waiting for the 05's too come out.. Also, a good source of info can be found at TheDieselStop.com

Rick

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by Patman
CR Swade does the 350 have bigger brakes all around or just on one end?

I believe both ends. I've got four-wheel discs on mine and love it.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I'm glad to see the P/Us' go to four wheel discs. A couple of the medium trucks I've driven (F800 and Intl' 4700 had 4-wheel discs on them and were sweet compared to the air-brake equipped trucks. My Pilot is the first all disc vehicle I've owned (besides the KTM, :) ) and you can definately feel the difference on a heavier vehicle! ( My little pilot weighs almost 6000 lbs. if I remember correctly.) The 350 dually crewcab Powerstroke 4x4 is the truck of my dreams!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah I've got discs all arounf too, just didn't know if the disc or calipers were larger.

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
if your considering GM's dont consider a manual trans! the allison is giving great service! we have zero problems from any that we have sold at our dealership, the manuals are having some clutch complaints and dual mass flyweel problems, and make sure you change your fuel filter every 15k! we have been seeing some injector problems that look like they might be related to lack of maintanace, we had 7 out of 8 injectors bad on one last week. and i think the tech working on it said they were $ 800 a piece! but on this truck they dont change filters ever and the filter was full of crud!

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Definitely on the fuel filter. Mine gets one every 15K, but I use aftermarket as the Ford ones are friggin expensive ($50+). Any deviation in mileage means preventive maintenance time (fuel, oil, air). I like the K&N for my truck also as the OEM Ford filters need frequent replacement and aren't cheap either.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
We have a 2002 GMC crew cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison with just over 70,000 miles on it. Has never been in the shop for more than normal maintenance since we've owned it.

The new Fords have a bit more room in the backseat, but the interior on the GMC is much more comfortable for long trips.

We pull a 20' enclosed trailer and hardly know it's on the hitch.

It all comes down to personal preference. All of the brands are pretty nice.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
CR Swade said:
I like the K&N for my truck also as the OEM Ford filters need frequent replacement and aren't cheap either.

Just think where all that extra dirt is going.

The diesel techs at the dealership I work at just love customers that intall K+N filters in their trucks. :yeehaw:

Top Bottom