Votes: 72 39.3%
  • Buy something else...

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
nephron said:
Whaaa? How would oil pressure correlate with an injection point? Since oil pressure is static, you couldn't possibly open and close an injector in that way, could you? Aren't most modern Diesels/any FI run by electrical solenoids operating under high fuel pressure conditions?

In a nut shell--
On the Ford diesel engines, there's a separate high pressure oil pump. Output ranges from 450-4000 psi.
The oil is delivered to the injector solenoids, which open and close to control oil pressure in the injector.
The oil pressure drives the Amplifier piston, that then acts on the fuel plunger which injects fuel into the combustion chamber at pressures of up to 28,500 psi through the nozzle assembly.
Fuel is supplied to the injector at approximately 50 psi through fuel rails in the cylinder heads.
The 6.0L (Siemens) injectors operate on 48V, while the 7.3L (Caterpiller) operate on 115V.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Geesh, that gasgasman talks like he knows what he's doin' ;)

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
I would go with the Dodge, I dont know what the new diesels are like, we have a 1992, 1994 and 1996 Dodge Reg. Cab. Reg. Box pickups, each with about 225,000km. My dad is a contractor and regularly hauls around a backhoe loader and a Dozer. From his experience over the years, the Ford is the best all around pickup, nothing ever goes wrong on them, but the gas mileage is terrible. That is why he went with the diesel in 92'. The Dodge has the Cummins diesel which never breaks down but the actual Truck has a few stupid little problems that regularly go wrong. The Chevy is a good vehicle for Driving, in better words, no offence chevy guys, The chevy pickup is a 4x4 Car with a big engine, they dont like to work, and if they do, they break. But they ride amazing and handle great. As with the diesel I cannot comment on this. The Ford diesels I dont know, they used to have International diesels in them, but now they make their own 6.0 L which I dont know what are like.
So all wrapped up, I would go with the Dodge, the Cummins just blows everything else out of the water, and the Straight 6 instead of the Big V-8 diesels right off the bat has the advantage of more torque. Since Ford owns Cummins I am just waiting for them to put a Cummins in a Super Duty. Now that would be the Ultimate Truck.
Anyways, GO DODGE!

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
Patman said:
I'll bet we start to see V6 diesels in F150's & GM 1500's with I4's in Dakotas and Mercedes designed 5's & 6's in Jeep products over the next 5 years.

Yup, the Jeep Liberty now has the Mercedes I4 Common Rail diesel and the MB E320 the I6 CDi. I'd love to see the I6 in the Dodge Durango and get 30mpg instead of 15mpg.

Nephron, with only 40 years left of oil reserves if we can decrease our fuel consumption by 50% we have another 20 years to develop the new technologies, (Hydrogen, Methanol, etc,), and to decrease the burning of our fosil fuels.

I'd love to see the 6.0l PowerStroke in the F150 or Expedition. I drove the Excursion and it was realy sweet.

If the Europeans can drive BMW 325 TDi's, MB E320 CDi's, and a host of VW TDi's, why can't we? No longer are they the noisy, smelly, unreliable vehicles of the 80's.

Diesel is the immediate answer to more economical vehicles and hence cheaper fuel. You want to aleviate the current fuel crisis?. Simple answer: Use less fuel !

DW

Jun 17, 1999
The peoplemover

I am running a 95 F-350 XLT crewcab, 7.3L powerstroke, 2wd, longbox. Yes it has the E4OD. I change the transmission filter and ATF every 60,000 miles. I also use a B and D temp sensor to monitor the tranny temp. No tranny problems to date.

I am closing in on 180,000 miles: one water pump, a set of injector o-rings, one glow plug relay, two glow plugs, and several oil gallery plug o-rings is the damage to date. Truck owes me nothing.

DW

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I dont own a diesel but my dad is on his second Dodge. He delivers RV's out of Elkhart Indiana to anywhere in the Continent, including 2 trips to Anchorage Alaska.

His first Dodge (97) 1-ton dually diesel, five speed, went 405,000 miles and never had the valve cover off. 1 rebuild on stock tranny, 1 new tranny at 375,000 miles. Many rear axle seals, front end alignments, and other regular maintanence. I drove it the last week he had it and you couldnt tell it had that many miles on it. He sold it for $11,500.00. I see it about once a month and it looks great.

His new one 2004 1-ton diesel dually, 6 speed, has 215,000 miles on it and the only problem so far was it needed some work on the front end, new tie rod ends and shocks. It is very quiet compared to his old one and the Fords. These mileages dont account for the many hours sitting idling while he sleeps in the back when out on the road. Because he is too cheap to get a motel room.

As far as not being able to get diesel, he put in a 110 gallon fuel cell in the back and never buys diesel in Illinois.

The new one is by far a better truck than the 97. He documents every gas stop and right now is getting 17-19 miles per gallon towing the campers. We went to Southern IL a few weeks back, not towing anything, I checked the mileage and figured he got 22 miles per gallon. 75 mph air condition on.

I have been around my dad and his buddies who he pulls with. And all they do is break each others balls about thier trucks. Almost all of them have switched to the Dodge, and the ones who havent (including my die-hard Ford man Uncle) admit that when they get to hilly country the Dodges just run off and leave the others.

When I buy one it will be which ever one has the Cummins in it. I know Ford owns Cummins so I think eventually it will have one. Dodge and Caterpillar have a relationship somehow and I have read where they might have a engine in the Dodge someday, My dad (33 years retired at Joliet Cat) says and I quote "That truck will run like a scalded dog" :eek:

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Well...I would go for the ford actually... I get close to 20mpg with my Crewcab F250 superduty Diesel going 70. It has the best comfy Limo back seat I have ever seen in a truck.. I was sold the first time I rode in one. It is a 2001 and has the 7.3 Powerstroke not sure about the new 6.0.

Fast Frank 1

Oct 31, 2000
F 650 is all you need

As in life bigger is always betters as in cubic inches and trucks. I know this is over kill but the Ford F-650 is the largest truck you can get without a commercial driver license, and there are custom pickup beds for this monster, and crewzer styles from cowboycadillac.com . I know its nice to dream....

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
think about this:

in the f-650 the standard engine is the flowerstroke 6.0
the optional engine (better) is the cummins

if you care about quality of the engine get a cummins.
the 7.3 powerstrokes were good but there are TONS of problems with the 6.0

they had 6.0's dying before they even left the dealer lot. thi I6 engine config that cummins uses is used in almost all of the REAL trucks (semis).

there is a reason: less things to go wrong

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
the only thing i don't like about my cummins ram is that the rear seat is smaller than the ford and chevy

but a quality engine was my #1 priority

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I strongly perfer the manual transmissions. The cummins in the dodge is, imo, the most reliable of the bunch and a little more fuel efficent. Also the most responsive to modds. The ford 6.0 liter engine is (again, imo) by far the least reliable of the bunch. The GM isn't bad and has more luxurious interior options than the dodge. My choice would be dodge, gm and then ford. If you were looking used, I'd switch that to be dodge, ford (7.3L only) and then GM.

Of the auto transmissions, the alison in the GM is by far the most durable and if an auto was required that truck would be my top choice.

good luck and have fun:)

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Wow, this thread is still alive! I might as well add my .02

Dodge's Cummins is a fine powerplant. However, the the truck around that motor is sub-par when compared to the Ford or GM. The transfer cases and transmissions often go south, and the trucks themselves simply on't seem to be built as well.

Ford made a mistake when they switched to the newer 6.0 Powerstroke. They run great with tons of power and slick-shifting 5-speed autos, but are unreliabe as a whole. Some trucks never have a problem, while others are plagued with faulty injectors, PCM programming, heads, and even turbos. The 7.3 was a strong and reliable motor, but lacks some horsepower when compared with the new 6.0. They still perform extremely well under load and have lots of aftermarket hop-up potential as well. I do believe that Ford builds by far the toughest truck in every other aspect.

I haven't seen much with the full-size GM trucks. I know the Allison auto is a solid trans, but the Duramax is unfamiliar to me.

I do know that whenever you see a large, heavy trailer going down the road, it is usually being towed by a Ford Powerstroke or Dodge Cummins. For one reason or another, you just don't see as many GM trucks being worked hard around here (TX).

I think now that the 6.0 has been through a couple of years, it is OK to buy one. Like I mentioned, Ford builds the best truck and I would buy feel safe buying one. Better yet, find a clean used 7.3 Powerstroke with a 6-speed :cool:

Good luck with your decision

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Brian said:
For one reason or another, you just don't see as many GM trucks being worked hard around here (TX).

Get out of the Metromess and GM is found on most of the ranches in West Texas. I am on my second Duramax. Sold the first one just shy of 100,000 miles for a killer deal whyle I was designing a new Chevy Dealership.

O know one thing for sure, I can ALWAYS hear a Dodge coming ... or is that Cummings ...Mmmmm :nener:

My '05 only has 32,000 on it becasue I bought a used S-10 that is my daily driver. It has 128,000 + on it. I am expecting to get 250~300K out of both of them.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I'm a contractor...........pull a trailer with heavy stuff. Never had a Dodge, but have heard a lot of undependability stories about them. Have owned GM stuff, and Fords. After crunching the numbers.....(repairs, down time/work lost because of repairs) Ford has been the best by far for me. My '01 F350 diesel just turned 120,000 miles.....batteries is my only repair so far. 7000 lb trailer......11 mpg. No trailer.......16 mpg. I think the 460 was a better puller, but a power chip in your diesel will make it a tire smokin fool. I change trans fluid and filter every 30,000, and do total flush w/ filter every 60,000. Trailers are hard on any tranny. However, better things have been said of the OLD Powerstroke (International motor) than their new one.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
elliot67 said:
Ford = Found On Roads Dead.

Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily. :nener:
Ford = First On Race Day. :nener:

I've got one for Pontiac too, but it's not very PC.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
elliot67 said:
Ford = Found On Roads Dead.

Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily. :nener:

Good one........but the numbers don't back it up. Sorry for reality! (Nanny nanny boo boo)

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Good one........but the numbers don't back it up. Sorry for reality! (Nanny nanny boo boo)

Yeah, fords are alright. But not half as good as Chevy's. ;)

I don't mind Fords actually, just wouldn't drive one primarily.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Been driving an 06 Duramax with the Allison transmission for a few months now to haul RV trailers from Indiana to Canadian RV dealers. Nice truck but it sure would be nice if I could make one trip without this POS spitting a code which turns on the check engine light and puts the truck into "limp mode" were it restricts you to 25 mph :bang: . The last 5 trips it's done this and the dealer keeps coming up with BS excuses that basically tell me they haven't a clue what the trouble is.

Top Bottom