Votes: 72 39.3%
  • Buy something else...

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Well I just got a 2005 Dodge 1 ton Crew. I guess you know my vote :)

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Chili said:
Been driving an 06 Duramax with the Allison transmission for a few months now to haul RV trailers from Indiana to Canadian RV dealers. Nice truck but it sure would be nice if I could make one trip without this POS spitting a code which turns on the check engine light and puts the truck into "limp mode" were it restricts you to 25 mph :bang: . The last 5 trips it's done this and the dealer keeps coming up with BS excuses that basically tell me they haven't a clue what the trouble is.

You need a new dealer. The problem with anyone of the three is that the dealership isnt always a "Diesel Dealership".

I would consider an 06 Dodge, I have the GMC/Chevy because I needed a back seat and the ability to FW tow, the Dodge with the back seat cant to FW or GN. I wouldnt consider the 6.0 PS if you gave it to me, the 7.3 is too far back/old to consider unless you are lucky and just happen to find a low mileage one.

I have 39000 miles on my Dmax/Allison, 90% of it is towing 15K FW that is 13'10" high at Interstate speeds. The truck has done very well and I have no issues with it, other than GM is now introducing another 3500 that will probably accelerate the depriciation on this one. This stuff happens, I plan on running this one a few more years, trying to spread the pain of the trade. :bang:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The 2008 SuperDuty is starting to fill the truck plant property.
I sure hope the new twin turbo engine proves to be what the proveout facility is making it out to be.
What a beauty of a truck. Buy them early and often, please.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
D Lafleur said:
You need a new dealer. The problem with anyone of the three is that the dealership isnt always a "Diesel Dealership".

I agree although the truck isn't mine I just drive it for the owner in my spare time. According to the owner this is a fairly common problem on this truck if you peruse the diesel forums.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Long Term Test:
Bought out of texas with 70K on it.
Just turning 190000 on my 99 P/S Diesel 4 door f250.
17 mpg no trailer/ about 10 with a 32 foot FW toy hauler ( average no wind day).

Had to replace the Torque converter last year. The fourth ford dealer after two years finally new what my "Noise" was. This goes to Chilies replys, you need to find a Diesel dealer, not just a regular dealer, they dont know the diesels.
Other then that, 2 sets of ball joints, front brakes every 35K, no real issues with it. Fuel valve on the back of the Inj Pump.

After going down and looking at some new trucks :yikes:
Ill drive this alittle longer!

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Chili said:
I agree although the truck isn't mine I just drive it for the owner in my spare time. According to the owner this is a fairly common problem on this truck if you peruse the diesel forums.

I happen to Peruse the diesel forums, I may even admin one of them :) . I happen to have more info on diesels than I do on dirtbikes, which may not mean a lot to some folks.

If you are limping the truck, this is a common term for those on the inside, you will have a DTC that requires clearing. This code will point you towards the problem. I only know of 1 truck out of 36,000+ registered GMC/Chevy that couldnt be fixed. This may be #2.

If you have the DTC, I could probably point you in the right direction.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'll have to check if the owner has the exact code for each occurence, I agree that this issue likely boils down to a poor dealer. What Diesel forum are you on? I'll be sure to send the truck owner to it in case he's not on the good ones :)

And the code has been cleared each time by the dealer but so far 5 trips in a row it's thrown another code which leads to the obvious the dealer isn't finding the true problem and is clearing the code and throwing some guesswork into it.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Post it so we can visit and check it out :nod: Who knows some of us may stick.

Dangousity

Dec 28, 2006
I bought the Cummin engine powered dodge mainly because of the engine build specs. Check the difference between the bottom end of a Cummins 6 cylinder engine and a ford or Chevy v-8 and you might be amazed, then again you might not care. Yes the Dodge cab and other stuff may not be as high quality as a Ford, but then again it could be .. I don't own a Ford and never will. I do love watching my 6 cylinder pass the Ford's up hills thou :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I guess you have to ask yourself does engine impressive build spec really matter if everything else won't last as long? The total package is more important than a single piece especially when the majority of people will not keep the vehicle for 500,000 miles.

480 mike

Jun 6, 2007
I would get the dodge mega cab diesel short-box. its like a cady in the back @ you can still carry all your gear and bikes. I have a 1991 that has over 500,000 miles @ 2004 that has 160,000.I just bought a mega cab hemi but the diesel would be the way to go now that i tried both.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I simply can't afford to shell out the coin for one of these mammoths, but I do have my raffle ticket in for the first VIN numbered 08 Super Duty. Big nice stars and stripes model with all the bells and whistles. One-offed items on/in it galore.
They will be drawing my ticket day after tomorrow.

I'll post pics :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Good Luck Birdman!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Well, apparently they can't read my telephone number, or they are simply waiting for the start of the week to call me.
I'm certain I won it....
Well, I shoulda daggone won it!

:)

Top Bottom