Bman

Apr 28, 2000
I decided that I am going to use whatever money I have in my piggy bank towards new boots. Right now I have Alpinestar M4's that I have had for probably 4 years now. They aren't completely worn out, but I did manage to wear a hole in the side of the right boot from hitting the peg when starting my bike (slipping kickstart, fixed now). I figure I might as well buy something better. I work at a Polaris dealer, so I am able to order stuff in at a decent price, and this is what I can get:

Alpinestar Tech-4 at $227 (I am assuming that these are identical to my M4's, correct?)
Alpinestar Vector at $336
Alpinestar Tech-6 at $336
Thor Quadrant at $160 (I've heard of people comparing them to Tech-6's, but how comparable are they?)
Six-Six-One Flights at $312
Gaerne SG-1 at $199

What I am looking for is the best boot for the money. I really don't want to spend any more than this. A couple things to keep in mind: the prices I listed are Canadian, and my feet are somewhat wide. My M4's fit me well width wize, but are a size 12 and I think I should probably get an 11 this time around.

Right now I am not really planning on buying out of the US because I don't want to be hit up for duty and brokerage. With the recent strength of the Canadian dollar I might consider it if I find a screaming deal somewhere that would end up being a fair amount cheaper than through any of my suppliers.

So any input as far as which boot you would select from my list would be great.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Just make sure you try on all the boots you consider. Some may fit your foot fine, but others might be more narrow or just might not feel right. I would never mail-order boots or helmets.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
As just mentioned, go try on the boots at your local dealer, know your size, and what boot you like the best, then start looking online. I went with Gaerne sg10's and bought them our favourite auction site out of the U.S. Even after i paid duty, which wasn't much, they ended up being nearly half what they are here at my local dealer. If you do get them out of the U.S., ask if they will ship them via USPS. Much better than paying brokerage fees.

trevor9a

Oct 25, 2005
rosscopeeko said:
As just mentioned, go try on the boots at your local dealer, know your size, and what boot you like the best, then start looking online. I went with Gaerne sg10's and bought them our favourite auction site out of the U.S. Even after i paid duty, which wasn't much, they ended up being nearly half what they are here at my local dealer. If you do get them out of the U.S., ask if they will ship them via USPS. Much better than paying brokerage fees.
I bought a pair of SG10's off that site as well. They have been really good boots so far. Just two complaints. No outside protection for the top of your foot and the ankle support might stop a little low. I slid out on some grass. Caught my foot under the bike. The bottom of the seat caught the sole of the boot and twisted my ankle sideways. Not only was my ankle hurting but the top of my foot hurt to because there is no padding there. I think they padded it on the SG-1's

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
I have been buying Alpinestar Tech 8's for years until this year. I dont care what anyone says, Alpinestar's dont last like they used to. I go through the soles soo fast its ridiculus. I have a new pair of Tech 8's sitting hear that need soles, unreal. Soo I got the Thor Quadrants and paid $115.00 including tax. What a great midlevel boot!! They dont have anything fancy on them but they offer the protection you need and comfort for a awesome price. I would rather spend money and have 2 or 3 pairs of these boots then buy 1 set of Tech 8's. The buckles arent fancy and the boots dont feel like an old pair of nikes but they are good. Oh and go up 1 size when you order them compared to Alpinestars.

little Loopie

Jan 8, 2005
Wide feet eh.......I too have the same issue, because of this, I refused to even enter the thaught of mailorder. I found the Thor Quadrant WILL not be comfortable, they are WAY to narrow a boot, foot cramps just sitting there. I went w/ the Gaerne RX2. I paid $265CAN out the door locally. Even these I didn't like the first pair (a defect in the shin mold, pushed into my shin). I strongly recommend you get the best fitting boot in your budget that you can TRY before BUYING. I have a very wide foot, and these were comfortable to slide my foot in right out the box.

Just thaught I'd add an opinion from someone with wide feet, and why I feel, like mentioned above, try before you buy.

BTW, If you were gonna order'em up, USPS charges VERY minimal brokerage compaired (I'm talking 1/4 the fee or less) to ANY other company. If they won't go USPS, don't order from them. This is how I do it.

Scratch

May 10, 2005
Scratch said:
I just picked up a pair of the Alpinestars Tech 6 boots and like them alot. For $220 (US) I thought it was a great boot.

Scratch that :| After some saddle time with the tech 6's I didn't like them so much. Especially after a friend let me try on his Sidi Flex Force SRS boots. The Astars seemed to have a really high toe area making it difficult to get under the gear shifter for upshifts. The Sidi's on the otherhand are sleek and low profile, making shifting easier. Also just felt more comfortable in general. I've sold the Tech 6's as they were almost new and am now buying the Sidi Force SRS or possibly even the Crossfire. They are pricey though!

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
kelsorat said:
I would never mail-order boots or helmets.
I had 2 mail order both my helmet and boots cause I am sponsored by 661 and they fit great. I would recommend the flight boots to anyone they broke in at no time at all and are really good boots. I like them better than my Tech 8's

Top Bottom