prcucuma

Jun 9, 2002
The old question - sitting in the garage and wondering which tire to buy...and because my hair starts getting grey about this. I am asking you to give me a hint which tire you think is the best for each terrain, whether it is sandy, rocky, sticky, tricky, whatever. Let me know your experience on dunlop, maxxis, pirellis,...
Besides did someone try shinko tires?
So the next time I can spend more time riding than wondering which tire to mount;-)
cucuma

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Based on my experiences, and they experience of those around me, I would have no problem recommending the Michelin S-12. We've run these on 250s and 500s in sand, hardpack, loose dirt, and rocks. This tire hooks up amazingly well, wear is awsome, and it doesn't chunk in the the rocks.

My $0.02

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i realy like the dunlop 752 but it might not be around for long,they are a soft terrain tire but work whell in anything but rocks and they last a long time. get them while you can

Last edited:

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
it was not bad but it seemed to round the nobs kind of quick and i ride in mixed terrain with sand and its just ok in the sand the 752 is way better in the sand and almost as good in the dirt but the 695 is better in the rocks so it depends on where you ride.i tried the m-12 and it too seemed to round off quick but i would likw to try the s-12 it looks very agresive but i was always afaid it would not hold up to the ocasional rocks maybe i'll give it a try

Last edited:

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I was a die hard dunlop fan up until I moved to NC. Dunlop was all that was available in my area so that was what I had experience w/. The dunlop 756 front/ 752 rear combo is really tough to beat. Its a combo that can perform excellent - to well in just about any given situation. I've had the K695 as OE for all my bikes and while I ran them and the 490 front I thought both were very much an underachiever. The performance of both of these tires is average at best. The 752 front is a good tire, but if you run a vast level of terrains I wouldn't recommend it as a front tire. Theres too much space between the knobs for it to work well on hard pack. The 739 rear hooks up well on hard pack/blue groove terrain, but I don't think it hooks up well at all on any other type of terrain. Now as stated above I have just let Gomer and Bruce talk me into the Michelin line-up. I'm currently running the S-12 on the rear and have nothing but positive things to say about it. I've never had a tire hook up as well as this thing does :aj: I've been told that the hot combo is to run the S-12 rear w/a M-12 front. I'm currently running the Dunlop 490 just because I've yet to wear it out. :ugg: As soon as I can get rid of the 490 I'll let ya'll know, although I'm sure you can get enough praise on this combo from the likes of High Lord Gomer, Bruce McCarey, BScottr, etc. It's a very popular combo here in NC/SC area. I don't have any experience w/ Bridgestones so I'll let someone else cover them. Good luck in your quest. :thumb:

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i agree on the 752 front tire it only works in sand,anything else and it looses grip.you guys talked me into it i am going to give the s-12 a try. also the 756 rear is a great intermedit terrain tire it works great in dirt it has a really good feeling to it in the turns it doesn't just break loose when pushed hard you can really power slide this one out with out fear of losing it but again its only ok in sand, but if you ride mostly it dirt it is awesome!

Last edited:

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Same feelings here on the 695. It was okay, and that's about it. Knobs rounded fast, lost its hook fairly quickly, and didn't do well in mixed terrain. So, I put it out of its misery... :)

Attachments

• burnout.jpg
    burnout.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 353

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I like the S12 in soft to intermediate conditions.In harder stuff it squirms really badly.I still like the 752 front and rear-works well in a wide range of conditions.May not be the best but a reasonable compromise.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Terrain in Hawaii is extreme - one ride will take you from the bottom of the jungle(nasty..."wet" slick/deep mud,roots-NO traction) to a slick off-camber, rooted, rocky, straight-up hill-climb to the tops of razor backs where the ground is dry and hard with deep sand, more roots and rocks. Of course you have to jump onto the Local motocross track on the way back to camp - dry, rocky and silty, with the nature-added mud holes.

I've used the 752, S12/M12, and Pirelli. Keep in-mind that we run around 4lbs. in the rear. The 752(rear) is an incredible tire - lasted forever - didn't like the track. The S12/M12 seemed unbeatable - but would lose bead every now and then - sidewalls not near as stiff as 752 - perfect all-around combo. But, the Pirelli Garacross was mind-boggling...I literally had to learn how to ride all over again. But, the first motocross race I entered with my new find quickly squelched my bliss - almost ALL of the nobs were torn off! Okay, unbelieveable "soft"-terrain tire, period.

TrailTramp

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
the dunlop 773 was the best soft terrain tire i have ever tried (better than the 752 belive it or not)it is sick in soft sand but again ok in the dirt

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I'm surprised no one has listed the IRC M5B. I used that tire on my old bike and it had excellent wear characteristics. I also had to TRY to break it loose half the time. The traction was unreal. I currently have a Michelin M12 and in dry stuff it works good, but when the ground is wet and muddy, no chance! You could be in 5th gear and be doing 5MPH.

Top Bottom