Who's thought of going to 4 wheels??

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
This is a difficult topic for me to talk about So here goes. How many of you over 40 guy and girls have thought about going to a 4 wheeler(be truthfull) :scream: ok I'll be the first to admit,I've thought about it . Espesially with the bad shoulders I have(surgery someday) or ,would it be worse? But, I still cherish the thought of a new thumper.
Just a thought. (Forgive DRN brothers & sisters) :ugg:
Sorry
DEA

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I'd take up golf or bowling before you'd see me on a quad. If you want 4 wheels get a shifter kart. :) But I got a few more years in me untill I'm over the hill. :p

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'd take up golf or bowling before you'd see me on a quad. If you want 4 wheels get a shifter kart.
Ditto.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
IMO, it is still away to enjoy the off road sport. Not so sure it will be easier on the shoulders but none the less it will get you the rush you crave. I have both bike and quads(utility) and I'm not ready to give up iether of them.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
nope, never considered it. i told my wife that if i ever quit racing mx, i would race mini-sprints. she got pissed.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
I came from four wheels - Jeeps that is - I was about to dump $6K into my ZJ, when I came to the conclusion - for far less than the price of making my expensive car decent off-road, dirt Bikes are funner, go way further, and are way cheaper than taking a car/truck/jeep off-road.

Now, back to the quad issue - I'm looking forward to purchasing one soon - It will be my wife's ride, and my backup toy. I think they have a place - probably can't go as many places, but are a good choice for the tamer folks, like my wife, and are a good alternative - especially under the right circumstances/terrain.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I used to race stock cars on the dirt track ovals. I was totally consumed by that sport. I raced street stock, late model modifieds, and had some experience with outlaws....but as far a a quad?
In the words of Rich Rohrich...."Not as long as I'm still drawing breath!"
:)

btw...I got a chance to race against Bobby Allison. Talk about thinking my **** didn't stink! LOL...I gotta stop talking about it, I'll just want to build one again, and I can't afford another divorce! :)
Folks, if you ever get a chance to race a CJ Rayburn offset modified with a Chevy 400 you will consider giving up dirtbikes! Well....maybe not that, but close!

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I started on 4 wheels and eventually graduated to 2. I personally dont have a problem with them. If I could afford to buy another one I probably would. I do have alot more fun and alot less injuries with the bike though.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I thought about a 4wheeler, actually thought how lame they are for play riding.. Good for work thats about it IMO.. Give me a bike any day..
Rick

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
DEA, you know you risk total bannishment for this subject matter. J/K
4whlers I get a kick on for utility purposes, or just getting from here to there. I feel that when I ride one hard, its a lot of upper-body work and not as stable as the bike. For the thrill of the ride, its 2 wheels for me.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
I got HER a utility quad to ride....and it's real handy pushing the race car too!!! (Those dang midgets don't have starters. I'm 6'1 and 200 lbs, and dad wants ME to race it??? Yea, ROIT!!)

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Most of the people around here ride quads and I would like to have one so I could ride with them sometimes and for work around the house. I tried riding my bike along with them but kept falling over from the lack of momentum :)

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I started on a four wheeler, but found out they can be very dangerous if you try any serious off roading with them. Believe me, if you have ever flipped a quad on you it hurts a lot more than a 250lb. bike :debil: I now use it for feeding the horses and when the wife wants to go play with us it makes a good vehicle for her. I am only a recreational rider but I would probably just start rolling more jumps and riding slower rather than going back to four wheels.
Truth be known, if I ride much slower I'll start falling over. :ugg:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I have both. I enjoy the 4-wheeler for the slow rides, hunting, work, etc. I have not spent time on the "performance" quads, but some of 'em look pretty trick. Still not a bike, though. When I want to go hit the good trails, it's 2 wheels every time.

But, I can haul lots more beer :eek:, er, I mean more cool refreshing water on the 4-wheeler. ;)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I doubt that I'll ever have a quad. I'd prefer a lifted golf cart for utilitarian use. I spent a day on a Suzuki QuadSport back in 1987 (didn't wear a helmet) and it failed to turn my crank. I've never ridden another one.

It's not that there's anything wrong with them. . . :p

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
The only time I ever had fun on a quad was when I rode one in the snow. That was fun. On the dirt, I'd never ride one.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Well I hate to admit this, but my Dad is looking at the new Honda Rincon

for a training wheel bike, it's not too bad. I took him riding (him on my old XR500) and he had a blast. But he has bad knees and back and I fear the only way he'll get out into the woods is on 4 wheels.

Plus he's finally doing his "dream season" Hunt in the next two years Phesant, Goose, Duck, Whitetail, Muleys, Elk, Moose and Bear. Plus he spends between May and September in Northwestern Ontario each year.

After hiking around out there in those woods, I think I'd want 4WD too.

If its a toss up between him getting out or staying home then the quad is OK (but I ain't showing him ANY of my singletrack! ;) )

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
Who's thought of going to 4 wheels??

Only the mentally challenged..... Just kidding.... I would never replace my bike w/ a quad but I would consider buying a 4WD quad for the areas I ride in WV.... Some areas you just can't take a bike to in WV......

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Quads are fun once in a while but the novelty wears off real fast.. I had a Banshee for a year and quickly grew bored of it, desperately missing an MX bike.

FWIW, quads are probably harder on your shoulders and upper body than a bike is. The solid rear axle gives you a beating when you're riding on choppy/uneven ground.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think if I go to 4 it will be a Jeep. Just not real excited by any quad I've ever ridden. I think the utility quads are great for other sports but as a sport I'll pass. Shifter carts would be another 4 wheeled option I could get really in to. For now I'll stick with the 4 wheels I have 2 on my Monty and 2 on my other dirt bike. :)

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
ok I'll be the first to admit,I've thougt about
Are you a closet quadfan man :p

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
if you have ever flipped a quad on you it hurts a lot more than a 250lb.

That is for sure, but it did not roll on me. I came down on the end of the handle bar as is it was tumbling down the hill. They are fun in the summer. I have a buddy that 2 quads a long with his bikes so when we camp at the riding spot we go night riding late night (its cooler and you can see pretty good on them) and get up early and do the dirt bikes till it gets hot. Its much more fun at night.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Taking a tumble on a quad is a lot like wrestling with a five-hundred pound porcupine with rabies.......... :eek:

Top Bottom