Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
flapwick said:
. I don't have alot of upkeep money either.Is a 4 stroke that much more expensive than a 2 stroke? How often should valves,springs,and all that other 4 stroke stuff be replaced? I don't think I'm up to doing it myself,so I'd have to take it to SLM to replace that stuff.

You've consistently made statements to this effect. If this is truly the case then you should steer clear of ANY 7 year old four-stroke MX bike.

Unless the bike has seen unflinching adherence to the factory service intervals, after 7 years it's going to be worn out.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Okay Rich,I hear you.But if the compression is good,It starts easily,I have a professional mechanic( a friend)from a local Yamaha dealership take it riding with me,and everything seems in good running order.......I shouldn't buy it? I'm not trying to be a smart alec or anything,but do you just throw them away if they haven't been treated like a poster bike for "anal retentive mechanics monthly?" Are they such finicky pieces of crud that with only general regular maintainence,they are "done" after 7 years? Should only the very rich own 4 strokes? If it is in good condition as judged by my mechanic friend,and I like the bike,I will trade for it.Of course I'm going to do general recommended maintainence on it. Don't regular lower middle class to somewhat poor people buy older bikes to have fun with them as long as they are savvy enough not to buy a bike that has been horribly abused? You seem like a sincere,informed,very bright guy.But there does seem to be a wierd elitism that comes through sometimes in these threads. Please don't bother going step by step as to why I'm so wrong.Let's just assume I am.Let's make it simple for me......General upkeep,assuming the bike is in solid shape,and barring something crazy,will cost me(a guy who will not be pounding the crud out of it ,going WFO around the track 7 hours a day)around.......$100.00 a month? $50.00 a month? $200.00 a month? Very simply,if you could put a number on it,give or take,what do you think it would be? Thanks alot ,Rich. You have been helpful,I'm just a little confused. flap

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
flapwick said:
Okay Rich,I hear you.But if the compression is good,It starts easily,I have a professional mechanic( a friend)from a local Yamaha dealership take it riding with me,and everything seems in good running order.......I shouldn't buy it?

You've stated that you don't have money or a willingness to work on the bike. A seven year old MX of any type is a crap shoot for someone like you, but a four-stroke just increases the odds of it going wrong. General change the oil, adjust the chain, and clean the air filter type maintenance doesn't even scratch the surface for these engines. While the Yamahas have proven to be more robust than most, 7 years is one hell of a long time for an 11,000 rpm race engine to run. Don't kid yourself, unlike the KDX, this is a real race engine with real race engine service intervals. Believing otherwise has proven time and again to be foolhardy.

For someone who is willing to split the cases and spend some money on parts a bike this old that could be had for a good price might prove a bargain. If we are to believe what you've posted thus far, that doesn't describe you, so heartburn seems more likely.

Having a mechanic ride a seven year old will only show you the glaringly obvious things that are wrong with a bike. The subtle (read EXPENSIVE) things will only be found by opening up the engine and measuring things. Even then, you won't know how many hours are on parts that "appear" to be in spec and near their cyclical service life due to metal fatigue. So it's still a best guess.

Owning a high rpm modern four-stroke is pretty straight forward. You put an hour meter on the bike, and when it reaches a certain number you throw certain parts away. Regardless if they "look" good or not. If you do that they tend to be reliable and trouble free. Sadly few people ever follow that simple logic, so time bombs get ridden and eventually sold to unsuspecting buyers.

If you want someone to tell you this is a good idea, just wait for a few more posts, someone is bound to tell you what you want to hear.

As for me , I'll sleep well knowing I gave honest accurate information gained from working with these engines for a very long time. What you choose to do with the information is up to you. ;)

I wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do. :cool:

Last edited:

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey Rich! You've been really thorough in telling me the facts and I appreciate it. It's not what I want to hear of course,but it's definitely food for thought. My hope is that I can find out an accurate history of this bike,and in this fantasy the previous owners have never had it above 1500 RPM,and have serviced and replaced the entire bike piece by piece 37 times.
And for the record...I've replaced a clutch recently,rebuilt a carb,replaced all bearings and bushings in a swingarm and linkage assembly,put new fork seals in a bike,replaced piston and rings in a 2 stroke,as well as the usual oil,spark plug,chain,sprocket,and filter cleaning and replacing.I know this doesn't make me a candidate for replacing Bubba's mechanic at Team Yamaha,but I do enjoy working on my bikes (My KDX and my son's YZ80 and RM85),and I look forward to learning more. I've never split a case,and I am definitely intimidated by the workings of a 4 stroke motor.Hopefully this will not always be the case.I own manuals for all 3 bikes ,and believe I have the mechanical inclination to do just about anything. I do not have a garage and must do all the wrenching on a gravelly and dirty driveway or in my livingroom(boo hoo),and I'm finding that the biggest discouragement to doing all my own work is the cost of all the needed tools to do that work.I'm picking up tools and experience little by little,and the 4 stroke represents a whole new wing in the flapwick bike repair mansion.I may need to start construction on that wing pretty soon.Or not.We shall see.I am excited about riding a (somewhat) modern 4 stroke race bike this Sunday! Rock on

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
For someone with 3 bikes to keep up, 2 of which require pretty intense maintenance already, and a smaller budget an mx 4t is a gamble. You obviously know some of the things that will likely need attention other than the engine on a 7 year old bike. You can add to that with a cam chain that could let go and leave you with a multi-thousand dollar repair bill. Or the head drops off a valve, same thing, CHA CHING. It's all a gamble, are you a gamblin' man?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Every person on this board has been guilty of rationalization at some point in their life. No one is a Spock-like Vulcan. If you like the bike and want the bike, then buy the bike. At least you are now aware of potential warning signs, probabilities and pitfalls. And when something does go wrong, the people here will still help you figure it out and tell you what needs to be done.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey guys! Joe,my son is a beginner and after getting his used bikes(he doesn't even ride the YZ lightning strike yet.I traded it for some custom picture framing,and it's just kind of sitting around.Maybe sell it for extra money towards a newer 4 stroke?)up to snuff,he's more likely to foul a plug than blow up a motor.And no,I don't consider myself a gambling man.But I do consider myself a faithful and trusting man.I combine that with knowledge and God has always pointed me in the right direction.So far,it has worked with the 3 bikes we have right now and the 3 bikes we sold as my son and I moved up in ability.)No,I don't hear voices saying"buy the bike" or "don't buy the bike".You guys have helped to give me some of the needed knowledge,and I say "Thank you". And longtime,I am definitely open to a 250 2c,the right one just hasn't come up. To 2strokerfun....along with a big "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!" lol

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey! My friend at the shop says they will totally go over it for $44.50. No,they don't tear it apart,but they do compression and all the other checks to see if there are warning signs or red flags as to it's condition. Go ahead,tell me it's useless because the seller may have "bought off" the shop guys......or maybe.....used marvel mystery oil to magically make all the cracking sounds go away. Or maybe used bong resin in the gear box to retard the sound of disintegrating metal by mellowing the vibration of the internals. Seriously,good idea???Yes?No? C'mon Joe,I know you're out there!

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
XR,I can't just buy it! Ask Rich why.
RRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIICH! Where's the fight,brother? Where's the chutzpa I'm so used to.Alright,alright. I'm just excited about possibly getting a new bike. p.s. .... if you were really done ,you wouldn't have responded at all. Unless of course you're one of them there "last worders".(I'm a picture framer AND a world renowned psychoanalyst...whooda guessed?)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
flapwick said:
XR,I can't just buy it! Ask Rich why.
RRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIICH! Where's the fight,brother?

Someone much wiser than me (and their numbers are legion ) once told me give the most honest and accurate advice you can, then have the good sense not to give a damn if anyone takes it.

Words that have served me well. ;)

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
LOL Okay,I know for you this must be REALLY tedious at times. I'm having fun and trying to gather all the info that I can.Maybe you were never like me in this respect,but when I am seeking answers for something I want to know about,I like to gather LOTS of information from many sources and then sift through it. I'm mentally quick on my feet (so to speak)when it comes to creative things,but I'm much slower in other areas.It takes longer for me to come to conclusions.I'm just discovering things and failing at things and succeeding at things that are new to me,but things you sorted out and came to rock solid conclusions to a long time ago.I may be driving you nuts,but it's really helping me!And isn't that what it's all about...helping me. I'm becoming really tedious again,aren't I?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Alright, I have a pretty healthy attention span so I'll give it 1 more shot.

You can pay some $1000 to poke and prod the bike and you still won't know if something inside is about to fail from age/becoming brittle. You HAVE TO DISASSEMBLE the engine and M E A S U R E E V E R Y T H I N G ! ! ! !

Lol, seriously, if you do decide to do it(which I probly wouldn't) I would tear it down when I got it home. Buy some tools or pay someone to measure all your parts and then replace EVERYTHING that is out of spec(or close to if you want to stay out of there for long.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
_JOE_ said:
Alright, I have a pretty healthy attention span so I'll give it 1 more shot.

You can pay some $1000 to poke and prod the bike and you still won't know if something inside is about to fail from age/becoming brittle. You HAVE TO DISASSEMBLE the engine and M E A S U R E E V E R Y T H I N G ! ! ! !

Lol, seriously, if you do decide to do it(which I probly wouldn't) I would tear it down when I got it home. Buy some tools or pay someone to measure all your parts and then replace EVERYTHING that is out of spec(or close to if you want to stay out of there for long.

And as was stated in an earlier post all the stressed components have a fatigue life and any stressed component with an unknown history should be replaced, although when it comes to my old toys I'm willing to gamble.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
OKAY ,OKAY!!!! lol I get it,Joe. I just wish SOMEONE on this site,some moderator or something,would of just told me the same thing earlier. LOL...... I guess that the truth is that I'm alot like Tom68. I'm aware of the absolute best way to go,but I don't always have the time,patience,money(intelligence?),to go that way.Gamble?Faith?Stupidity? I guess that depends on how it turns out. Thanks everyone,for all the advice.I will consider all of this with deep and probing reflection.......right up until the point where I get the bike because I think it's RAD! LOL ..... I crack me up.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
:rotfl: You said "RAD".

Yeah, obviously you're aware of the potential for disaster. If it's what feels right to you go for it. You only live once and experience is the best teacher. Indy has something in his tag about that.

What's the worst that could happen? You grenade the motor and have to ride the boy's 85 for a while. :nener:

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
A bit of an update.I rode the 426 today and I loved the power and suspension.My first time on a racing 4 stroke.Needs new fenders,some TLC. We got to the track late so my mechanic friend was gone,but there was a young man there who is a professional supercross rider and he thought everything felt good on the bike. I noticed it needed bearings/bushings in the front wheel replaced.Rear end was good.No leaky seals or gaskets anywhere.Fired up fairly easily,which I had heard could be difficult on a 426.Jetting seems good,no backfires or sputters or cutting out.I'm going to clean it up and go over it more closely tomorrow,adjust some things to my liking,and go riding again Tuesday afternoon.Tuesday evening I will either trade or take my KDX back.I'm leaning towards the trade,but I'm giving myself 48 more hours to check it out and ride it some more . My KDX might fetch $1500.00 at the very most.This bike is worth 500-1000 more than that. Unless she's ready to blow,I think it's a good trade for me. Thanks! flap

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
flapwick said:
Unless she's ready to blow,I think it's a good trade for me. Thanks! flap

Good for you flapwick.

I knew you would buy it. :nod:

Don't listen to those guys. They are only trying to harsh your mello. :whoa: Or sumtin like that. :rotfl:

Especially that Rich Rorich guy. Imagine the nerve of that guy. Using common sense, logic and experience to try to talk you out of buying a bike that you obviously want to own. Why,,,,he has a hell of a lot of nerve!!! :yell:

Now I'm gonna tell you what you wanted to hear all along.

I think you should buy it. Don't worry about silly things like worn out front wheel bearings or top end noise. The worn bearings only mean that the previous owner had so much fun on the bike, he didn't have time to do dumb, time consuming things like maintain his wheel bearings or valves or stuff like that. And, You can always add a loud exhaust system to it and it will drown out that nasty clacking sound in your top end. Just keep riding it and you will even save the cost of having to pay someone to take the engine apart for you. It will eventually take itself apart. This will save you a ton of labor costs. At least on the disassembly end.

I had a WR400 and loved it. It was a great bike for its time and the YZ426 is even better,,, for its time. I sold mine to some unsuspecting Latin lawn boy and part time Highway Patrol officer before it spit it's cookies. Phewww, lucky for me.

Anyway, I think you should buy it. You obviously want it so, what's the problem? Plus, I work on these things for a living. Guys like you keep me living the lifestyle that I have become so accustomed to. It's getting very expensive to live here in Kalifornia and now my wife want a new Corvette. So, please do buy the bike.

Let us know how that works out for you. ;)

Just my $ .02 which is only worth $ .006 now that Arnold raised our taxes.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
89er said:
I had a WR400 and loved it. It was a great bike for its time and the YZ426 is even better,,, for its time. I sold mine to some unsuspecting Latin lawn boy and part time Highway Patrol officer before it spit it's cookies. Phewww, lucky for me.

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Where's he been lately?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
_JOE_ said:
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Where's he been lately?

They have him pretty busy at the cop shop Joe. Him and Dak stopped by last week on the way home from a training so Dak could pee on my shrubbery. He's still talking to me even after I sold him that pos Yamaha,,,errrrrrrrr, I mean, my awesome, slightly worn WR400. He just sold it to another chippy anyway. :laugh:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
flapwick said:
A bit of an update.I rode the 426 today and I loved the power and suspension.My first time on a racing 4 stroke.Needs new fenders,some TLC. We got to the track late so my mechanic friend was gone,but there was a young man there who is a professional supercross rider and he thought everything felt good on the bike. I noticed it needed bearings/bushings in the front wheel replaced.Rear end was good.No leaky seals or gaskets anywhere.Fired up fairly easily,which I had heard could be difficult on a 426.Jetting seems good,no backfires or sputters or cutting out.I'm going to clean it up and go over it more closely tomorrow,adjust some things to my liking,and go riding again Tuesday afternoon.Tuesday evening I will either trade or take my KDX back.I'm leaning towards the trade,but I'm giving myself 48 more hours to check it out and ride it some more . My KDX might fetch $1500.00 at the very most.This bike is worth 500-1000 more than that. Unless she's ready to blow,I think it's a good trade for me. Thanks! flap

The 426 had nice a nice power spread that is impressive even today.

Used motorcycles are a gamble, whether they are 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. The only difference is, if (or when) you lose that gamble on a 4 stroke, it's gonna cost you a lot more money (especially if you have a mechanic fix it for you at crazy labor rates.)

Wait a minute, by saying this, am I devaluing my CRF? :yikes:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom